| || |
City buses opererate 4 routes
wich reach the most of the city. They run every 30 minuten from the city centre on weekdays, hourly on saturday and weekday evenings. There isn't a service on sundays. |+|
City buses opererate 4 routes reach the most of the city. They run every 30 from the city centre on weekdays, hourly on and weekday evenings. There isn't a service on .
| || |
Revision as of 19:42, 20 August 2008
Tórshavn is the capital of the Faroe Islands.
The city was founded in the 10th century and named after Thor, the god of thunder and lightning in Norse mythology. In the early history of the Faroes Tórshavn became the political center of the Faroes and still is today. The first settlers established their own parliament called "thing" around 800. The main thing was established on Tinganes in Tórshavn and local things where established in different parts of the islands. Tinganes drew people to trade and to attend court meetings etc. Currently the city has a population of around 20,000.
City buses opererate 4 routes which reach the most of the city. They run every 30 minutes from the city centre on weekdays, hourly on Saturday and weekday evenings. There isn't a service on Sundays.
- Faroese løgting (The Faronese parliament), Tinganes. An impressive dark red structure with a green roof located on the water front. The parliament has been meeting at this site since 900AD.
- Tórshavn Cathedral. An attractive white building with clock tower - established in 1788.
- The Nordic House. The main cultural institution on the islands.
- The Historical Museum. Well worth a visit.
Faroes still allows smoking in cafe, bars and restaurants and there tends to be a lot of smokers in some places where you eat. The hotels generally don't allow smoking.
- Brasserie Hvonn, Hotel Tórshavn, Tórsgøta 4, FO-100, +298 350000, central location and non smoking inside, american style menu and salad bar
- Restaurant Glasstovan, Hotel Føroyar, Oyggjarvegur 45, FO-100 Tórshavn, +298 31 75 00, Located on a hill above Tórshavn with great views ( if there is no fog ), non smoking, buffet on Mondays evenings with traditional Faroese foods.
- Hotel Streym, Yviri við Strond 19, FO-110, +298 355 500, .