Revision as of 02:39, 16 May 2009
Tórshavn is the capital of the Faroe Islands.
The city was founded in the 10th century and named after Thor, the god of thunder and lightning in Norse mythology. In the early history of the Faroes Tórshavn became the political center of the Faroes and still is today. The first settlers established their own parliament called "ting" around 800. The main thing was established on Tinganes in Tórshavn and local things where established in different parts of the islands. Tinganes drew people to trade and to attend court meetings etc. Currently the city has a population of around 20,000.
City buses opererate 4 routes which reach the most of the city. They run every 30 minutes from the city centre on weekdays, hourly on Sunday and Saturday and weekday evenings. There is no bus service during Saturday or Sunday evenings.
- Faroese løgting (The Faronese parliament), Tinganes. An impressive dark red structure with a green roof located on the water front. The parliament has been meeting at this site since 900AD.
- Tórshavn Cathedral. An attractive white building with clock tower - established in 1788.
- The Nordic House. The main cultural institution on the islands.
- The Historical Museum. Well worth a visit.
- Brasserie Hvonn, Hotel Tórshavn, Tórsgøta 4, FO-100, +298 350000, central location and non smoking inside, american style menu and salad bar
- Restaurant Glasstovan, Hotel Føroyar, Oyggjarvegur 45, FO-100 Tórshavn, +298 31 75 00, Located on a hill above Tórshavn with great views (if there is no fog), non smoking, buffet on Mondays evenings with traditional Faroese foods.
- Burger King, SMS Shopping Center, FO-100, +298 32 34 20, a burger restaurant in the SMS Shopping Mall.
- Sunset Boulevard, SMS Shopping Center FO-100 +298 32 34 22, a danish chain of sandwich restaurants located in the SMS Shopping Mall.
- Baresso Coffee, SMS Shopping Center FO-100 +298 23 34 32, a danish chain of cafés, located in the SMS Shopping Mall.
- Hotel Streym, Yviri við Strond 19, FO-110, +298 355 500, .