| || |
Revision as of 02:45, 25 February 2010
Swarthmore is a small borough in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States.
When this town was first founded it was originally named Westdale. It was named in honor of painter Benjamin West, who was one resident of the early of the town. When Swarthmore College was established the name was changed to Swarthmore.
Swarthmore is located off Exit 3 of Interstate 476 (or locally known as the "Blue Route"). Swarthmore can also be accessed by State Route 320 or State Route 12 (Baltimore Pike)
SEPTA Regional Rail trains (R3 Line) stop at Swarthmore Station, located in the heart of the village
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)  is minutes from Swathhmore and is served by taxis and the SEPTA R1 Regional Rail Line.
Swarthmore is a small, compact borough where walking and/or biking is a viable option. There is a Philly CarShare spot located at the train station.
- Swarthmore College, . A liberal arts college located in the heart of Swarthmore. Swarthmore College has been named a "Little Ivy" by various college guides, and is ranked third best Liberal Arts College in the United States by US News and Report
There is a small variety of shops located in the "Village" neighborhood of Swarthmore
- Swarthmore Co-Op, . A grocery store specializing in high-quality (but expensive) food. Owned by community members as a Co-Op
There is a limited number of restaurants located in Swarthmore
- Cheng Hing, 333 Dartmouth Ave Swarthmore, PA 19081, ☎ (610) 328-2078. Local take-out chinese place serving typical "Americanized" chinese food. Popular with Swarthmore College students.
- Renato's Pizza, 8 Park Ave Swarthmore, PA 19081, ☎ (610) 544-2300. A pizzeria located in the "village" of Swarthmore.
- Swarthmore Pizza, 601 South Chester Road (Chester Road & Fairview Road) Swarthmore, PA, ☎ 610.543.3474, . Local pizza restaurant with a family friendly atmosphere
Swarthmore is currently a dry town. There are a few bars in Media. Travellers looking for more variety should consider traveling to Philadelphia.
Accomodations in Swarthmore are limited to several bed and breakfasts. There are some more options, located nearby in Media
Swarthmore is located twelve miles away from Philadelphia and it is also a half hours drive from Wilmington