[[Queensland]]'s Sunshine Coast is
broadly defined as the beachside towns to the north of [[Brisbane]]. Unlike the [[Gold Coast]], the Sunshine Coast (colloquially the "Sunny Coast") is not just one destination, but a collection of them. A travel experience in [[Noosa]], for example, is likely to be very different from one in [[Caloundra]] or [[Coolum]]. Behind the coast, in the Blackall Ranges, is the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, with the mountain towns of [[Maleny]] and [[Montville (Queensland)|Montville]]. |+|
[[Queensland]]'s Sunshine Coast is beachside towns to the north of [[Brisbane]]. Unlike the [[Gold Coast]], the Sunshine Coast is not just one destination, but a collection of them. A travel experience in [[Noosa]], for example, is likely to be very different from one in [[Caloundra]] or [[Coolum]]. Behind the coast, in the Blackall Ranges, is the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, with the mountain towns of [[Maleny]] and [[Montville (Queensland)|Montville]].
| || |
Revision as of 23:30, 2 January 2012
Queensland's Sunshine Coast is a collection of beachside and hinterland towns to the north of Brisbane. Unlike the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast is not just one destination, but a collection of them. A travel experience in Noosa, for example, is likely to be very different from one in Caloundra or Coolum. Behind the coast, in the Blackall Ranges, is the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, with the mountain towns of Maleny and Montville.
Cities and towns
Renowned for its relaxed approach to Queensland life, the Sunshine Coast is famous for its uncrowded white sand beaches and green scenery. Stretching for nearly 70 klms, the Sunshine Coast falls within the Sunshine Coast Council's jurisdiction and provides for a great (and popular) escape from Brisbane, or the Gold Coast. A holiday mecca even for South East Queensland locals, the Sunshine Coast is a great place to relax, unwind and taste the amazing local produce.
The Sunshine Coast is between 1 and 2 hours (depending on traffic and exactly where you're going) north of Brisbane by car.
Sunshine Coast Airport
Sunshine Coast Airport is in Maroochydore and has daily flights to Sydney and Melbourne.
The Sunshine Coast Airport is 10km north of Maroochydore.
The Translink (Sunbus) 622 bus services the airport terminal hourly between Maroochydore and Noosa Junction, but somewhat inconveniently stops before the last flights arrive from Sydney and Melbourne. The 620 bus runs later and with greater freqency, but only stops on David Low Way outside the airport precinct. It is just over 1 kilometre to walk from this stop to the airport terminal. Change at Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore for points south. Change at Noosa Junction for Noosa Heads and Noosaville.
The normal hire car chains are located in arrivals.
Door to door transfers are available to the entire sunshine coast area, but must be pre-booked. Henry's operates north (to Noosa and Coolum), and Sun-air operates south to Maroochydore, Caloundra. Discounts are available for groups - expect to pay around $20 per person.
Sunshine Coast taxis Taxis are available and operated by Suncoast cabs (07 5451 7500). It can cost up to $100 to get to Noosa by taxi from the airport, so if you are heading a distance from the airport make sure you have determined your onward transport before arriving.
Queensland Rail runs the Citytrain service, which runs on the North Coast rail line from Brisbane to Landsborough and Nambour, with connecting buses to Caloundra, Mooloolaba, Maroochydore and Noosa.
- All Age Car Rentals, .
- Choice Car Rentals, .
- Commodore Car Rentals, .
- Cut Price Car Rentals, .
- East Coast Car Rentals, .
- Gold Coast Car Hire ® , .
- Suncoast Car Rentals, .
- Select Rent A Car, .
- Thrifty Car Rental, .
- Australia Zoo , owned and run by the family of the late Steve Irwin, is a popular tourist drawcard. The site tends to be frequented more by overseas visitors.
- Buderim Ginger Factory  - 50 Pioneer Road, Yandina. Tel: +61-7-5446-7096. Mini-theme park based on ginger. Cane Train through rainforest and a couple of rides and features to entertain children, including a boat ride with animate characters - like a Ginger "It's a small world". Claims to be biggest selection of ginger products anywhere in the world. Cafe for meals and snacks.
- Glasshouse Mountains  and Beerburrum and Beerwah State Forests and Forest Reserves.
- Kenilworth State Forest  - Rainforest and eucalypt forest. Camping in various areas. Tel: 13 13 04 for permits and information.
- Kondalilla National Park  - on Western Avenue about 4 km north of the centre of Montville. Tel: +61-7-5494-3983. 327 hectares of lush subtropical rainforest and tall open forest plus Kondalilla Falls dropping 90 metres from Skene Creek into water pools below. Parking area, picnic facilties, barbecues, shelter sheds, toilets, a lookout and three walking trails. No fresh water available. Can become quite crowded during peak holiday periods.
- Aussie World, 73 Frizzo Road, Bruce Highway Palmview, Queensland, 4553 Australia, ☎ +61-7-5494-5444, . A family fun-park, dodgem cars and the like, located next to the Ettamogah Pub. Can be accessed via door-to-door services 
- Go Tandem SkyDiving with Sunshine Coast Skydivers 
- The beaches are the major attractions
- The adventurous may wish to climb one of the Glasshouse Mountains
- Surf, or learn to surf, at Noosa
- Drive a go-karting at Landsborough
- Go Fishing with Noosa's Laguna Charters 
- Noosa Kite Surfing (Noosa Kite Surfing Lessons), . Kite Surfing lessons with Mike Burrell. Noosa Kiteboarding cater for all levels of Kite surfing experience.
- Thai Street - Located in Alexandra Headland along the main road near the beach. Good quality Thai food at reasonable prices. Friendly staff.
- Steak - Pay your steak AU$ 2.00 with the purchase of any drink on Sundays at the SurfAir Resort in Marcoola, close to the airport. Food is good and you have an option to choose fish instead of beef.
- India Today - Excellent quality Indian cuisine in a unique setting. Great service. The tandoori chicken is a very tasty and filling choice. Aerodrome Road, Maroochydore.
- Sang's Thai Restaurant (BYO), 1/2 Maroubra Street Alexandra Headland 4572 (opposite the Blue Bar), ☎ 07 54754412, . Dinner Tu-Sa, Closed Sunday & Monday. Best Thai Restaurant on the Sunshine Coast!