Storms River is a small village in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. It is located in the Garden Route and functions as the gateway to the Tsitsikamma National Park. Only a short drive east of Knysna, Storms River comprises more than just a village – it is a synonym for anything adventurous and daring, mild or wild. Storms River mouth is spanned by a suspension bridge, offering breathtaking views over rocks and coves and crashing waves of the Indian Ocean. The bridge leads to a lookout point from which sweeping views over a verdant forest and the Stormsriver camp reward any hike to this area. A first-class Eco-Destination, ecologically sensitive activities such as Bungee Jumping from the Bloukrans River Bridge, and Canopy Tours, are two of the most popular things to do at Storms River and surrounds!
Located on the N2 the village is easily accessible by car from Port Elizabeth and Cape Town as well as other towns along the Garden Route.
The main companies stop in Storms River at the petrol station on their Cape Town - Port Elizabeth run.
By rail & plane
There is no rail station nor airport in Storms River. Though the nearest train station is at Assegaai, in Kareedouw (40 km), as a stop of the Apple Express . The nearest airports are located either in George or in Port Elizabeth, both 180 km away.
Nearly everyone goes to Storms River by car and this is definitely the best way to tour around.
Tsitsikamma National Park is one of the main attractions in Storms River.
- Storms River Tubing, ☎ +27 (0)84 877-7100, . Every day before 9AM. Storms River Tubing is fun, yet physically demanding activity. R495.
- Black Water Tubing, ☎ +27 (0)42 481-1757, . Every day before 9AM. The ultimate Storm River adventure... including free braai lunch! R495.
- Outback Trial Riders, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1842. Guided horse rides through the indigenous forest R300.
- Mountain Bike Hire (at the Mild2Wild Adventure Center), . A 22km cycle route, starting from Storms River Village, through the old Storms River Pass, all the way to the viewpoint of the Tsitsikamma National Park over Stormsriver Mouth. R110.
- Treetop Canopy Tour, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1836 (email@example.com), . Every 45 minutes from 8AM to 3:45PM. See the indigenous forest from the tree tops, 30m up. R450 per person, this includes a meal and guides.
- Woodcutters’ Journey, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1836, . Enjoy a tractor-trailer ride down the old Storms River Pass, with a knowledgeable guide and refreshments served next to the river.
- Stormsriver Township Walk, ☎ +27 (0)84 801-6274 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Experience rural township life with local guide Geraldine. Visit the local school, creche, crafters and see how ordinary people live and work. R75.
- Forest Fynbos Walks, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1936 (email@example.com). Guided Forest Walks with Bob and Louise Reed, bird watchers, who love to share their knowledge of nature.
Starting at the Forest Station down-town Stormsriver, all have free self-issue permits at unmanned gates.
- Plaatbos Walk. Various options from 800 m to 12 km circular or linear.
- Walk to the low water bridge. About 5km, circular, follow the gravel road (the Old Pass) to the picnic site on the banks of the Storms River. Braai facilities and swim in the river.
- Goesa Walk. 2 km, easy, passes through indigenous forest.
- Rafters, 24 Fynbos Ave (at the Armagh), ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1512, . Family Restaurant serving traditional South African cuisine. R150pp incl. wine..
- D'Oude Martha (at the Protea Hotel), Corner of Kamassi & Darnell Streets, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1711, . A long tradition of good, home cooked food. R200pp.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under R500
|| R500 to R1000
|| Over R1000
- DiJembe Backpackers Lodge, Corner of Assegaai & Formosa Streets, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1842 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Lodge and self-catering. Food and accommodation of all sorts. Adventures like: horseriding, mountainbiking and rivertubing. From R110 pp.
- Tsalanang Township Bed&Breakfast, 252 Stormsriver Village (Right on stop street, go left after 1km and 4 crossings), ☎ +27 (0)84 801-6274 (email@example.com), . Enjoy rural township life at a graded dinner, bed&breakfast. Township walk included. From R150 pps. (-33.9697166666667,23.8767305555556)
- Tsitsikamma Backpackers, 54 Formosa street, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1868. From R110 pp.
- Tube 'n' Axe Backpackers, Corner of Saffron & Darnell Streets, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1757 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . With camping, dorms, cosy doubles and watertight elevated tents, we’re the ideal stop for budget travellers. From R110pp.
- Serenity Retreat, Darnell Street (Right on stop street, on your left after 800m.), ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1530 (email@example.com), . From R160 pps.
- At the Woods, 43 Formosa Street, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1446, . A relaxing and comfortable base from which to explore the Tsitsikamma and surrounding areas. From 350 pp.
- March Hare Cottage, 94 Kamassi Street, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1419 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Luxury selfcatering cottage, fully equipped, sleeps 2 (plus sleeper couch). From R400pn.
- Ploughmans Rest, 31 Formosa Street, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1726 (email@example.com), . Fully equipped Double or Family units. Peaceful atmosphere in large shady garden. From R250 pps.
- Protea Hotel Tsitsikamma Village, Corner of Kamassi & Darnell Streets, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1711 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . A reconstructed Cape Village with 50 rooms looks like is village on it's own. From R295pps.
- The Armagh, 24 Fynbos Ave, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1512 (email@example.com), . Spacious, en suite rooms with magnificent views and private patios which lead into the sprawling natural gardens. From R440pps.
- Woodcutters Cottage, Darnell Street, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1902, . A restored forester’s home, now functions as a luxury selfcatering cottage
- Dr. Stander, Corner of Formosa & Kamassi Streets, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1710. Mo,Tu,Th,Fr 10AM-1PM. Doctor.
- Public Hospital, Corner of Karen & Krom St, Kareedouw, ☎ +27 (0)42 288-0210. The closest hospital is about 40km away in the town of Kareedouw.
- Private Hospital, Muller St, Plettenberg Bay, ☎ +27 (0)44 501-5100. The safest hospital is about 65km away in the town of Plettenberg Bay.