The Northern and Western Suburbs of Stockholm are diverse, with urban, suburban and rural environments. They extend north towards Uppsala and Sigtuna. At the south-west they connect to Ekerö, and at the east to the Stockholm archipelago.
The area is not as packed with tourist highlights as downtown Stockholm, but there are forest and waterfront areas for retreating from city-life.
Public transport is accessible throughout the region.
The road connection to central Stockholm has a toll station for congestion tax.
- Hagaparken, a royal park in Solna, great for picnics.
- Bromma kyrka, Gliavägen 100 (Bus 117 from T Brommaplan) +46 8 37 34 48, . Bromma kyrka, in the western suburbs, is one of the oldest in Stockholm. It has also been voted the city's most beautiful. The oldest part was built as a round church in the second half of the 12th century. The church contains medieval paintings from the late 15th century.
- Tensta konsthall, Taxingegränd 10 (T Tensta), +46 8 36 07 63, . Open Tu-Su noon-5PM (closed for much of the summer). Tensta Konsthall, an exhibition hall in the multicultural western suburb of Tensta, opened in 1998 and has been met with much interest from critics for its contemporary art exhibitions.
- Edsbergs slott  is a 17th century palace, today mainly used by the Royal College of Music.
- Edsvik konsthall , an art gallery.
- Bögsgård , a traditional farm in Sollentuna, featured twice at American The Amazing Race.
- Several beaches for open-water swimming, especially at Hässelby, Järfälla and Sollentuna.
- AIK plays their home games at the large Råsunda stadium, Solnavägen 51 (T Solna Centrum), a national football stadium in the north-western bordering town of Solna. The arena is Stockholm's largest, with around 35,000 seats, and although seldom sold out, the club generally attracts the biggest home crowds in Sweden.
- Brommapojkarna plays their home games at Grimsta IP, Bromma (T Hässelby Strand). Brommapojkarna advanced to the top league in 2009.
- Väsjöbacken in Sollentuna, alpine skiing during winter.
- Brukets skidbacke in Järfälla, alpine skiing and snowboarding during winter. 
- Solvalla hippodrome (Free buses from the City Terminal and T Sundbyberg before races, or a 10 min walk from T Rissne) +46 8 635 90 00 . For a day at the races, you can go to Stockholm's hippodrome Solvalla in the northwestern suburbs and watch trotters compete in harness racing. Races are held Wednesday nights and many weekends. The biggest event is the prestigious Elitloppet race  at the end of May every year.
- Elitloppet 2011, May 27-29.
- Täby galopp, a horserace track in Täby. 
- Kistamässan is a new-built convention center, focusing on information technology, at the Helenelund station. 
- Stockholm Quality Outlet , Majorsvägen 2-4, Järfälla (Commuter train to Jakobsberg and then bus 567) . Open M-F 11AM-8PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 11AM-5PM. Close to one of Stockholm's two IKEA stores, in the suburb Barkarby, rather far out northwest of the city center, you will find a factory outlet village that claims to be the first and biggest in the Nordic countries, and promises prices 30 to 60 percent lower than in the city center stores.
- Vällingby Centrum, (T Vällingby), . Most stores open M-F 10AM-7PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 11AM-5PM.
- Kista Galleria, (T Kista), . Open daily 10AM-9PM.
- Täby Centrum, (Roslagsbanan Täby Centrum), . Open daily 10AM-7PM.
- Solna Centrum, (Hotellgatan Solna Centrum), . Open M-F 10AM-7PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 11AM-5PM.
- Edsbacka krog, Sollentunavägen 220 (Commuter train to Sollentuna, buses 607, 627 to Edsbacka), +46 8 96 33 00 . Open M-F 5:30-12PM, Sa 2-12PM (Edsbacka Krog is closing down Feb 27 2010). Located 15 km north of central Stockholm, Sollentuna’s rather traditionalist Edsbacka Krog is the only Swedish restaurant with two stars in the Michelin Guide Rouge. Extensive wine list. Mains 370-420SEK, menus 750-1200SEK.
- JumboHostel, Jumbovägen 4 near Arlanda Airport, ,  is a bit of a novelty and conveniently located near the airport. An old Boeing 747 Jumbo jet converted into a backpackers hostel. Everything inside is new and clean, and linen comes included on made beds. Flat screen TV's in each room are a luxury for hostels, and if you really want to splash out, there is the cockpit suite. On the downside, not much of an atmosphere once you get over the novelty of staying in a jet.
- Scandic Victoria Tower at Kistamässan at the Helenelund railway station, a new-built skyscraper hotel.