Steamboat Springs is a ski resort in the state of Colorado in the United States of America.
Steamboat Springs is typically 3-4 hr away from Denver by car in good winter conditions. If heavy snow, there are a couple of passes (including Rabbit Ears Pass) which become much more difficult and slow going. The most direct route from Denver to Steamboat is I-70 west to Silverthorne. From there, take Highway 9 North to Kremmling where you meet up with US 40. Then drive west on US 40 over Rabbit Ears pass to Steamboat. With no traffic or snow, the drive can be as quick as 2.5 hr.
The Local Airport is only 22 miles from Steamboat (Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) in Hayden, CO). Many major airlines, including Continental, American and Delta, provide direct service from hubs and major cities during the winter, It is only a 30 min flight from Denver on United.
Numerous bus and shuttle services are available from Denver airport.
The City of Steamboat Springs provides free municipal bus service year round. Buses arrive approximately every 10 min in the winter and every 20 minutes in the summer. The Steamboat Springs Transit stops along every major route with service from downtown to the mountain condos and ski area.
Alpine Taxi is Steamboat's taxi Service. They provide in-town taxis as well as shuttle service to and from the Yampa Valley Regional Airport (Hayden) and the Denver International Airport.
Storm Mountain Express also offers shuttle service to and from Hayden.
The Town of Steamboat Springs is essentially separated into several areas. One is the mountain area (known simply as "the mountain" or "the base area") surrounding the base of the Steamboat Ski Area on Mt. Werner, there are multiple shops as well as dining and nightlife. The area also includes many hotels, condominiums, and rental homes. The area is relatively easy to navigate on foot, but driving can be more difficult.
The other major area is downtown, around 4 miles from the Ski Area. Downtown Steamboat is located along Lincoln Avenue (US 40) and stretches 8-10 blocks between Third Street and Eleventh Street. This is the historic area of town. Shopping, dining and nightlife are here as well. Most of Steamboat's better restaurants are located downtown, and the area is much easier to navigate in a car than the mountain area. Parking on Lincoln Avenue is limited, but there are several parking lots on the numbered side streets.
West Steamboat is west of downtown and houses more locally-oriented businesses (like hardware stores, mechanics, and specialty shops).
Steamboat is long known for its legendary "Champagne Powder" snow, western heritage, and Olympic Tradition which gives Steamboat the name of "Ski Town USA." Steamboat is also known for its reputation as a breeding ground for US Winter Olympic Athletes, who often participate in the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club that practices and trains athletes on Howelsen Hill. Howelsen Hill is Steamboat's second, smaller ski area, and is located near the downtown area. Howelsen Hill is the oldest continuous operating ski area in Colorado. Tickets here are much cheaper than at the Steamboat Ski Area, but terrain is also much smaller and includes one lift that operates on weekends, a pomma, a halfpipe, and several runs.
Notable Steamboat sites:
- Fish Creek Falls Waterfall located in the town of Steamboat Springs. These falls are also pictured on the label of Coors Beer.
- Routt National Forest
- Flat Top Mountains
- Continental Divide Trail
- Steamboat Lake State Park
- Stagecoach State Park
- Strawberry Park Hot Springs Natural hot springs just outside of Steamboat.
- Yampa River Core Trail A beautiful paved trail that follows the Yampa River through downtown Steamboat Springs.
- Howelsen Hill The oldest continuous operating ski area in Colorado.
- Kayak, raft, and tube the Yampa river
- Wild West Balloon Adventures, 42415 E Deerfoot Ln (located behind the Village at Steamboat), ☎ (970) 879-7219, . A Hot Air Balloon ride over Steamboat Springs
- Romick Rodeo, 501 Howelsen Parkway.
- The Howler Steamboat Springs Alpine Slide, 645 Howelsen Parkway (turn off Lincoln Ave in downtown Steamboat on 5th street to cross the Yampa river. Turn right after the river and railroad tracks on Howelsen Parkway. Turn Left at the stop sign.), ☎ 970-819-8010, . You take a chairlift to the top of Howleson Hill and then using a sled you go down 2400 feet of winding curves
- Flyfishing on the Yampa River and Elk river
- Camping in the Zirkels Wilderness
- Day time rides up the ski mountain ski gondola
- Zephyr Helicopter Company, ☎ 970.846.4677, . Helicopter Rides over the area that surronds Steamboat Spings
- Rock climbing
- Swimming in the Steamboat Hot Springs
- Golf at many of the areas Golf Courses
- Fish Creek Falls, (Located approximately 5 miles from Steamboat Springs, Fish Creek Falls is located on Fish Creek Falls Road. From the main street in the town of Steamboat Springs, head north on 3rd Ave. and then turn right on Fish Creek Falls Road. The facilities offer both a lower and upper parking lot. It is 5 Dollars for parking at the parking lots and just follow the signs to the Upper and lower tails). A 2.5 Mile one way hike that brings you up to 9000 Feet Elevation. It is only 1/4 of a mile to the First Falls
- Mt. Werner,
- Buffalo Pass
- Rabbit Ears pass
- Steamboat Springs Pro Rodeo Series
- Hot Air Balloon Festival
- Steamboat Running Series
- Steamboat Springs Soccer Tournament
- Steamboat Marathon and Triathlon
- Strings in the Mountains Regular classical performances in the summer made by touring (as well as local) musicians.
- Triple Crown Sports Tournaments
- USA Pro Cycling Challenge - the largest Steamboat bike race
- Ice Climb Fish Creek Falls, (Located approximately 5 miles from Steamboat Springs, Fish Creek Falls is located on Fish Creek Falls Road. From the main street in the town of Steamboat Springs, head north on 3rd Ave. and then turn right on Fish Creek Falls Road. The facilities offer both a lower and upper parking lot. It is 5 Dollars for parking at the parking lots and just follow the signs to the Upper and lower tails). A 2.5 Mile one way hike that brings you up to 9000 Feet Elevation. It is only 1/4 of a mile to the First Falls
- Ski Mt. Werner
- Snowcat ride and powder skiing
- Winter fly fishing
- Night tubing at the ski base area
- Romantic dinner on the top of the mountain
- Strawberry Pak Hot Springs, 44200 County Rd#3, ☎ (970) 879-0342, . Sit in 104 degree Mineral water, also offers lodging in cabins or even a locomotive (clothing optional after dark)
- sitting in hot tubs when it snows
- Winter Concert Series
- try to be there for the last day the ski mountain is open for business, the place is one big party. meet some locals and have a good time.
- Check out the Olympic Ski jumping hill at Howelson hill, its a great thing to watch
- Cross country ski on many of the nordic tracks surrounding the area
- The Annual Bud Light Cowboy Downhill
- Coureur Des Bois
- Steamboat Winter Carnival The oldest winter carnival in the United States west of the Mississippi river.
- Winter Concert Series
- Strawberry Park Hot Springs, hot springs about 15 min outside of downtown (more or less depending on weather). If it's snowy, the road up to the springs requires by law AWD and snow tires or chains. Note that is AWD/4WD with snow tires, some have had severe problems with the hill with AWD and all season tires when it was snowing. A fantastic set of hot springs, though the facilities could be better. Clothing is optional after dark.
Several shops are located downtown Steamboat on Lincoln Avenue. Additionally, there are stores on the mountain near the ski area in Ski Times Square.
- SmartWool Socks, . While you're there, purchase a pair--the corporate headquarters are located in Steamboat Springs.
- Embellishments, 8th Street,. A beautiful shop of home furnishings and accessories specializing in fair-trade merchandise .
There are many places in Steamboat where you can rent ski and snowboard equipment for your stay in Steamboat.
Here are just a few of the many equipment rental stores found in Steamboat
- Black Tie Ski Rentals
- Christy Sports
- One Stop Ski Shop Ltd. ☎+1 970 879-4754
- Ski Haus. ☎+1 970 879-0385
- Sportstalker: Retail-Rental. ☎+1 970 879-2445
- Steamboat Ski & Bike Kare. ☎+1 970 879-9144
- Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation. ☎+1 970 879-6111
- Steamboat Ski Touring Center. ☎+1 970 879-8180
- Terry Sports. ☎+1 970 879-8414
If you arriving in Steamboat without a car it is probably easier to rent your gear closer to your hotel or even better the lifts as most offer over night storage, saving you the hassle of lugging your skis back to your accommodation every day. Or to secure special boot size or your preference for equipment rental.
You can also book your ski or snowboard rental online which may save you some money and less time in the rental store.
The main companies in Steamboat that offer this service are;
- Black Tie (Which also offer full delivery service to your accommodation)
- Christy Sports
- Breeze Ski Rentals
- Steamboat Ski Rentals
On the mountain
- Slopeside Bar & Grill (kid friendly)
- Enzo Pizzeria Italiano (Steamboat Grand Complex)
- Ore House At the Pine Grove
- Rex's American Grill and Bar
- Winona's Restaurant 617 Lincoln Ave, ☎+1 970 879-2483, Generous portions of food and a local favorite.
- The Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant
- Bistro c.v. (not the largest wine selection, but the best)
- Old Town Pub, is a legendary Steamboat landmark and a must visit for everyone. It's family friendly, but also offers great nightlife with a diverse music scene.
- The Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant
- Big House Burgers and Bottle Cap Bar
- The Home Ranch,(800) 979-1780, . Relais Chateau ranch 17 miles NW of town.
- The Inn at Steamboat, 3070 Columbine Drive, ☎+1 970 879-2600, . Nestled in the mountains of Northwest Colorado, the Inn at Steamboat offers a touch of class for those seeking a quiet mountain get-a-way.
- The KOA Campground west of town has great facilities including a very nice hot tub. They have facilities for large and small campers and motor homes, tent sites, as well as cabins. $25 per night for a small camper with electric.
- The Lodge at Steamboat, 2700 Village Drive, (970) 879.6000. Property has 120 units with two, three and four bedroom condominiums. Accommodations are located at the base of Mt. Werner approximately 200 yards from the Gondola. .
- Timber Run, 2015 Walton Creek Rd, (800) 276-6719. You can choose between two or three bedroom condominiums. This property offers free guest shuttles during the winter season to and from slopes, shopping, dining, etc. .
- The Ranch at Steamboat, Ranch Road, (800) 525-2002, .
- Sheraton Steamboat Resort, 2200 Village Inn Court, 1-866-716-8134, .
- Bella's Wine Bar, Lincoln Ave 7th and 8th. Best wines in town and live jazz/blues/afro cuban weekly
|Routes through Steamboat Springs
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
WikiPedia:Steamboat Springs, Colorado