State College  is a borough in Centre County, Pennsylvania. It is home to the University Park campus of the Pennsylvania State University.
The nearest is University Park Airport (SCE), 6.7 miles from the centre of the town. Flights are available from Cincinnati, Detroit, Washington and Philadelphia.
The local Greyhound station is approximately a half mile (10 minutes' walk) from the centre of town.
State College is connected to nearby cities by the following highways
Pennsylvania's 3rd largest city, sort of
Football is a big deal throughout the Midwest, but college football is an especially big deal for Penn State fans. While the population of State College and adjacent College Township is less than 50,000, during Penn State home games as many as 110,000 people crowd into Beaver Stadium. On football Saturdays, there's more people in town than live in Pennsylvania's third largest city (Allentown, pop. 106,000)!!
- Penn State University, . Penn State, home of the Nittany Lions, is one of the ten largest universities in America with over 84,000 enrolled students.
- Watch a Penn State football game.
- 4th of July fireworks.
- Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts. A variety of artists come to display their work on the streets of downtown State College and surrounding campus area. Live music, food stands and family friendly activities bring people from all over Pennsylvania.
There are a number of small shops downtown along College and Beaver Ave. Nittany Mall is also only a few miles away.
- The Tavern, 220 E. College Avenue, +1 814 238-6116, . Dinner from 5 PM daily. Adjacent to Penn State, with the expected raucous college-dive atmosphere but considerably better food and service than one might expect.
- Creamery, 119 Food Science Building, +1 814 865-7535, . Generally open from 7 am to 10 pm for working days. The largest university creamery in the nation.
- Kimchi Korean Restaurant, N. Atherton St. Best Korean food in town!
- Viet Thai Restaurant, 146 N. Atherton St.. Serving excellent dishes of both Thai and Vietnamese food, this restaurant is a highlight of State College's Asian cuisine. BYOB
- Otto's Pub and Brewery, 2105 North Atherton St., ☎ 814-867-6866, . Microbrewery and pub-style food
- Phyrst, 111-1/2 East Beaver Ave., . The Phryst is one of State College's basement bars with a dedication to local music scene, friendly atmosphere, pool tables
There are other numerous restaurants such as Applebees, Chili's, Baby's (a 50s style diner), and many little cafes and smaller restaurants no matter where you find yourself.
Drinking is what State College is known for, second only to football. Whether you prefer sports bars, dance clubs, or Irish pubs, with over 20 bars in a mile radius, everyone is sure to find something to their liking.
- Courtyard State College, 1730 University Drive, ☎ +1 814 238-1881 (fax: +1 814 238-3108), .
- Holiday Inn Express, 1925 Waddle Road, ☎ +1 814 867-1800, .
- Motel 6 State College - Penn State University, 1274 North Atherton Street, ☎ +1 814 234-1600 (fax: +1 814 234-6665), .
- Residence Inn State College, 1555 University Drive, ☎ +1 814 235-6960 (fax: +1 814 235-1630), .
- SpringHill Suites State College, 1935 Waddle Road, ☎ +1 814 867-1807 (fax: +1 814 867-1879), .
- Days Inn State College, 240 South Pugh Street, ☎ +1 814 238-8454 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 814 237-1607), .
- Nittany Lion Inn, 200 West Park Avenue, ☎ +1 814 865-8500 (email@example.com, fax: +1 814 865-8501), .
- Fairfield Inn and Suites, 2215 North Atherton St, ☎ + 1 814 238 3871. Newest hotel in State College!
- Hampton Inn State College, 1101 E College Ave (Rt 322 to Rt 26 exit, hotel half mile on the right), ☎ 814-231-1590, . checkin: 1500; checkout: 1200. So many activities surround our hotel in State College. Looking to enroll a student at Penn State? Want to do a little shopping downtown? Here for a weekend of skiing on Tussey Mountain? Whatever brings you to town, we're eager to have you stay with us at the Hampton Inn® hotel in State College. Once you've arrived at our hotel, you'll find a lot of great amenities waiting for you in your room. Need to get some work done while you're with us? We offer complimentary high-speed internet access in every guest room. Prop your laptop on our handy lap desk and type away while you watch TV. Or simply listen to your favorite kind of music by pressing one of the preset buttons on your room's alarm clock. When you're ready for some rest, hunker down for the night in our comfiest amenity yet: Cloud Nine. The Hampton Bed Experience. In the morning, enjoy our complimentary breakfast with hot items daily from 6AM-10AM. Our heated outdoor pool is the perfect place to relax if in State College for business or pleasure.
- Greenwood Furnance State Park  is located approximately 30 minutes southwest of State College using PA-26 and PA-305. It offers camping, hiking, fishing, and other outdoor activities in season.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
WikiPedia:State College, Pennsylvania