St Francis Bay is a working fishing port and holiday destination on South Africa's Eastern Cape coast.
St Francis consists of three closely related, but distinct areas: St Francis Bay, Port St Francis and Cape St Francis.
Not far from Jeffreys Bay lies the charming town of St Francis
Bay. It is known for its endemic white houses with either black tile or thatch roofs blending together with the Sardinian-style red tile roofs. Approximately half of the town is built around the largest web of manmade canals and waterways in Africa. Adjacent to St Francis Bay is the pastoral fishing village of Cape St Francis with its outstanding beach and historic Seal Point Lighthouse while Port St Francis is the harbour. Visit Oyster Bay, a town that caters for those who enjoy quiet time and relaxation. Explore this district with its beautiful beaches, rich wildlife and adventures - surf the waves or swim with dolphins, there is something for everyone in this picturesque and breathtaking Jeffreys Bay area.
St Francis Bay is a beach village of Cape Dutch style thatched roof houses build on canals in the Kromme River estuary.
Port St Francis is a working fishing port for the squid/calamari industry. Also home to Station 21 of the national Sea Rescue Institute.
Cape St Francis is home to a working lighthouse build in 1878. Surrounded by beautiful beaches and good surfing spots.
Take the Humansdorp exit from the N2. Drive through Humansdorp and follow the R330 to St Francis. St Francis is just 76km from Port Elizabeth. You could also drive in from Durban (901km) or Cape Town (690km).
There are two airports located in close proximity to St Francis. The closest is the Port Elizabeth airport which is 76km away. The East London airport is 356km away. There are regular flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban and other South African destinations to the airports in Port Elizabeth and East London.
All major South African coach companies offer regular schedules to and from destinations like Addo.
- Budget Car Rental, Sanriver Lodge, ☎ +27 (0)42 294-1152.
- The Cape St Francis Lighthouse, ☎ +27 (0)42 298-0428. Open daily 9AM to 4:30PM. Climb all the way to the top of this old lighthouse and enjoy the view from 36 meters up. There is also a coffee shop and penguin rehabilitation center situated next to the lighthouse. R15.
- Golf - new Jack Niclaus golf course St Francis Golf Club also a great place with a big heart for beginners.
- Jetski in the Krom River and out to the ocean, ☎ +27 (0)82 939-4081.
- Krom River Expeditions, ☎ +27 (0)84 506-6396. Go on a canal cruise. R70.
- Paintball, The Rabbit Farm, off St Francis drive, ☎ +27 (0)74 342-2644.
- St Francis Safaris, ☎ +27 (0)82 569-3750 or +27 (0)83 441-6397. Game fishing, dolphin and whale cruises, boat and jet ski hire
- Surf. Sealpoint is the best place for surfing
- Viking Boat Hire, ☎ +27 (0)83 325-1655. Hire a boat to explore the canals and river on your own. Around R400 per day.
- Barons Grill, Village centre.
- The Butcher Shop, Village centre, ☎ +27 (0)42 294-1982.
- Farol Bistro and Coffee shop, Village centre, ☎ +27 (0)42 294-1019. Excellent breakfasts.
- Porthole Restaurant And Bar, ☎ +27 (0)42 294-1123. On the port. Serves delicious calamari, fresh from the sea. Sit on the patio and watch the calamari being unloaded from the fishing boats.
- Trattoria San Francesco, Village centre, ☎ +21 (0)42 294-0819. Pasta.
There are many B&B and other accommodation.
- Cape St Francis Resort, ☎ +27 (0)42 298-0054 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Close to Joe Fish Restaurant
- Beach Break, ☎ +27 (0)42 298-0054 (email@example.com), . On the beach
- Lyngenfjord House, 7 Lyngenfjord road, ☎ +27 (0)42 298-0444 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +27 (0)42 298-0445), . 4 star. R250 to R550 per person sharing.
- Osbosch Lodge, ☎ +27 (0)42 294-1001. Self catering and B&B.
- Port Hotel, ☎ +27 (0)42 294-0006 (email@example.com), . Located on the harbour
- Port view place, ☎ +27 (0)42 294-1506 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . B&B within walking distance from the port
- Rent a thatched roof house in the bay, sleeps 6 on the golf course, 250 m from the beach. Phone +27 (0)21 461 9787. Nice house, excellent value for money.
- Sandriver Lodge, St Francis Drive (Across the road from St Francis village), ☎ +27 (0)42 294-1052 (email@example.com). Nice B&B close to shopps and golf course R200 to R250 per person sharing.
Cape St Francis Lighthouse.
The canals in St Francis Bay.
The river mouth and beaches in St Francis Bay.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!