| || |
* '''Zion Canyon Giant Screen Theater''', 145 Zion Park Blvd (''just outside the park entrance''), ''+1 435'' 772-2400, [http://www.zioncanyontheatre.com/]. A giant IMAX theater showing the film "Zion Canyon: Treasure of the Gods" at 3PM and 5PM Tu-Sa. Other IMAX films, the occasional feature film, and live
preformances also take place here. Tickets for IMAX films are $8 adults, $5 children. |+|
* '''Zion Canyon Giant Screen Theater''', 145 Zion Park Blvd (''just outside the park entrance''), ''+1 435'' 772-2400, [http://www.zioncanyontheatre.com/]. A giant IMAX theater showing the film "Zion Canyon: Treasure of the Gods" at 3PM and 5PM Tu-Sa. Other IMAX films, the occasional feature film, and live also take place here. Tickets for IMAX films are $8 adults, $5 children.
| || |
Revision as of 00:15, 1 December 2007
Springdale is a town in the Dixie region of Utah, just outside of the southwest entrance to Zion National Park.
The nearest major airport is in Las Vegas, 150 miles away. There is no public transportation into town, so driving is your only real option. Most people get here by taking Utah State Road 9 off I-15 north of St. George, and following the road east through the town of Hurricane. You can also get here from the east by taking US Route 89 and turning west onto State Road 9, taking you through Zion on the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel into Zion Canyon and Springdale.
This is pretty much a one-street town; just about everything in Springdale is aligned along the main street, UT-9. Everything is fairly close together, often making it pretty easy to walk around town. Bicycling is also a good way to get around town or into Zion.
As part of Zion National Park's free shuttle system, Springdale has a route running through the town April-October. Parking at the Visitor Center in Zion often fills up, so if you're spending the night in Springdale you would do good to leave the car at the hotel and take the shuttle into the park.
The route has 9 stops, with three of those available only on request (or when people are waiting): Majestic View, Silver Bear (request only), Driftwood, Bit & Spur / Zion Park Inn, Pizza & Noodle / Bumbleberry / Zions Bank, Canyon Ranch / Desert Pearl / Post Office (request only), Flanigans / Kimaries, Watchman Cafe / Cliffrose (request only), and the Zion Canyon Theater. The last stop is within easy walking distance of the Park Entrance and the Zion Visitor Center.
In spring and fall, the shuttle runs from 6:30 AM until 10:15 PM, with 10-15 minute frequency. In the summer (mid-May to early September), the shuttle runs from 5:30 AM until 11:15 PM, with 10-15 minute frequency, and 20 or 30 minute frequency in the very early morning and late evening.
- Zion Canyon Giant Screen Theater, 145 Zion Park Blvd (just outside the park entrance), +1 435 772-2400, . A giant IMAX theater showing the film "Zion Canyon: Treasure of the Gods" at 3PM and 5PM Tu-Sa. Other IMAX films, the occasional feature film, and live performances also take place here. Tickets for IMAX films are $8 adults, $5 children.
- Zion Tubing & Souvenirs, 180 Zion Park Blvd (Just outside Zion National Park, across the street from the Zion Canyon Giant Screen Theater), ☎ +1 435 772-8823, . Daily, 10AM-5:30PM mid-May to early September (weather permitting). Inner tube rentals for a relaxing, very scenic 2-hour trip down the Virgin River. It's great fun, and a good way to beat the heat (just don't forget sunscreen!). Depending on the water level of the Virgin, you might want to get a large stick because you may run into a lot of rocks. You might also want to wear long pants and a long-sleeved shirt since the tube cover can give you a rash. But don't let that stop you, it's still really fun. $14 tube rental including return transportation ().
- There are a number of guide/outfitter places in town. Three are located in the Zion Outdoor Center, 868 Zion Park Blvd (a mile from the park entrace): Zion Adventure Company, +1 435 772-0990, , Zion Outdoor, +1 435 772-0630, , and Zion Cycles, +1 435 772-0400, . Also in town is Zion Rock & Mountain Guides, 1458 Zion Blvd, +1 435 772-3303, , and Springdale Cycles, 1458 Zion Park Blvd, +1 435 772-0575.
- Sol Foods Market, 95 Zion Park Blvd (Next door to the Zion Canyon Giant Screen Theater), ☎ +1 435 772-0277, . Open daily 7:30AM-9PM. A full service supermarket with a deli and camping supplies.
- Zion Pizza & Noodle Company, 868 Zion Park Blvd, ☎ +1 435 772-3815, . Some of the best food in town. Great pasta, pizzas, salads and beer.
- Oscar's, 948 Zion Park Blvd, ☎ +1 435 772-3232. Good burgers.
- Tsunami Juice & Java, 180 Zion Park Blvd (Across the street from the Zion Canyon Giant Screen Theater), ☎ +1 435 772-3818, . Wraps and smoothies. In the same building as Zion Tubing & Souvenirs.
- Bit and Spur, 1212 Zion Park Blvd, ☎ +1 435 772-3498, . Quality Mexican food. Try the spicy lamb gigot.
- Thai Sapa, 145 Zion Park Blvd, ☎ +1 435 772-0510. Authentic Thai food. Located in the Zion Canyon Giant Screen Imax Theatre complex.
- Panda Garden. Chinese cuisine.
- Spotted Dog Cafe, 428 Zion Park Blvd, ☎ +1 435 772-3244, . Fine dining.
- Best Western Zion Park Inn, 1215 Zion Park Blvd, ☎ +1 800 934-7275. Maintains a Utah state liquor store.
- Desert Pearl, 707 Zion Park Blvd, ☎ +1 435 772-8888, . Not for those on the budget.
- Cliffrose Lodge, 281 Zion Park Blvd, ☎ +1 435 243-8824, . Motel with beautiful grounds and friendly staff.
- El Dorado Lodge. Not a lot to it -- bed, bathroom, TV, microwave, & a lamp. But it was clean as a just-washed whistle, centrally placed. A steal at $55 a night.
- Red Rock Inn B&B Cottages, 998 Zion Park Blvd, ☎ +1 435 772-3139, . Approximately one mile from Zion National Park entrance. Rooms in the form of charming individual cottages.
- Zion National Park - obviously, this is the main reason most people come to Springdale in the first place
- Grafton ghost town - just south and west of the village of Rockville, between Springdale and Hurricane
- Hurricane - about 25 miles west on UT-9.
- St. George - about 45 miles west of town.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!