Wisconsin River, Spring Green
Spring Green  is in Southwest Wisconsin and is the home of two unique architectural wonders: Frank Lloyd Wright's magnificent Taliesin, and Alex Jordan's mysterious House on the Rock. The area is also popular with visitors because of a local Shakespearean theatre, the nearby Wisconsin River with its many recreational opportunities, and a 27-hole Robert Trent Jones-designed golf course.
The nearest airport is in Madison. From there, take US-12/14 to exit 251A/B and continue on US-14 West for 35-40 minutes.
Visitors will need a car to get around Spring Green. The intersection of Highway 14 and Highway 23 is near the center of town. Most lodgings are off Highway 14, while the small downtown is signposted from Highway 23.
Affluent visitors can choose to fly into the small airport located just north of Lone Rock and enjoy breakfast at the Piccadilly Lilly, a restaurant associated with the airport.
Many paths to choose, House on the Rock
Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin
- The House on the Rock, 5754 Hwy 23, . sept, 9AM-7PM daily; off-season F-Su 9AM-5PM. One of the weirdest museums you'll ever see. The house itself is an interesting architectural jumble, particularly the Infinity Room, which is suspended a long way over the forest canopy below. But jaws really start dropping in the second and third areas, which include "The Streets of Yesterday", the world's largest carousel, and more self-playing musical instruments than you ever thought existed. It's a staggering collection of toys, marvels, ephemera and oddities, brought together with an air of mystery and glee. It'd be nice if there were more labels to explain where these things came from, but then it'd take eight hours to see it all instead of four (and that's if you move at a brisk pace). Special exhibitions on for the Christmas season. Tickets for each of the 'tours' are $12.50, or $28.50 for all three. edit
- Taliesin, 5607 Cty. Rd. C (Entrances from both Highway 14 and Highway 23), ☎ Toll-free +1 877 588-7900 (email@example.com), . May – October, 9AM-4:30PM. Once the family home of famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright — and then an architectural commune / school under his direction — "Taliesin" refers both to the iconic house he designed there, and also to the sprawling complex of buildings on the site. Regular performances and receptions are held here, and it's still a working school. There's an inexpensive tour ($16), where you'll see exteriors and interiors of the Hillside School. The longer tours, which take you to the interior and gardens of the home, Taliesin, are highly recommended for Wright enthusiasts but pricey ($47-$80). edit
- American Players Theater, 5950 Golf Course Road, ☎ +1 608 588-2361 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Renowned theater company, with a repertoire of Shakespeare, Shaw, and a few other classics. Stages an outdoor Shakespeare festival each summer. Tickets $35-48. edit
- Canoeing. Canoe trips on the Wisconsin River are easily arranged. Inquire at hotels, at Trader's Bar & Grill (see Drink), Wisconsin Canoe Company, or at Bob's Riverside Resort (see Sleep). edit
- Tower Hill State Park, Located off Highway 14, Highway 23 and County Road C, on the banks of the Wisconsin River., ☎ +1 608 588-2116 (email@example.com, fax: 608-588-3476). Several hiking trails. edit
- Village of Spring Green Municipal Golf Course, Highway 23, ☎ +1 608 546-4001. Offers a 9-hole course. edit
- The House on the Rock Golf Course .
- Spring Green Art Fair, Downtown, on Jefferson Street, . Arts and crafts on sale the last full weekend of June. edit
- Spring Green Country Christmas, Downtown, . Old-timey Christmas charm, one weekend every December. edit
- Spring Green Literary Festival, . 8:30AM-5PM. Takes place the second Saturday in September with 3 authors and a catered lunch; writers workshop available for an additional price. $50-$75. edit
The Taliesin gift shop has books, gifts, home accessories, and some gorgeous Wright furnishings, but you'll need a similarly gorgeous amount of money to buy most of them.
- Country Sampler, 133 E Jefferson St, ☎ +1 608 588-2510, . Acclaimed as a "Top 10 Quilt Shop" by magazines including Quilt Sampler and Better Homes and Gardens. They're known for reproduction quilt fabrics, their own "Worn & Loved" fabric line and patterns, custom quilt kits, cross stitch, folk art and home decor. The second floor features a retreat space. edit
- Panacea, 248 E Jefferson St, ☎ +1 608 588-2280 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Features herbal remedies, home decor, body care, and jewelery. Upstairs is The Closet, which carries lightly used high quality brand name clothing. edit
Looking for a hand-out, House on the Rock
- Woody's, E5016 Hwy 14 & 23, ☎ +1 608 588-2717 (email@example.com). Retail liquor and outdoor sporting goods; they also sell hunting & fishing supplies and licenses. Sun-Mon 9A-7P, Tue-Thurs 9A-8P, Fri-Sat 9A-9P edit
- Arthur's Supper Club, Hwy. 14 & 23, ☎ +1 608 588-2521, . A nice little steak house and supper club. $15-40. edit
- The Bank Restaurant and Wine Bar, 134 W Jefferson St (Located on Jefferson Street in downtown Spring Green), ☎ +1 608 588-7600, . Serving Tuesday - Sunday, Dinner 4AM-10PM, Lunch 11AM-2PM, Weekend Brunch 11AM-2PM. A moderately priced venue (you might pay $100 for a three-course meal for 2 people) with a menu that changes every Thursday in order to comply with the availability of local and fresh ingredients. Excellent food with a great atmosphere in the renovated State Bank Of Spring Green which is reaching 90 years of age. The Bank also features a large wine selection with over 200 wines to choose from. edit
- Pat's Place, 6279 County Road C (Just off Highway 14), ☎ +1 608 588-7828 (fax: +1 608 588-2821), . In the Spring Valley Inn. Perhaps a little pricey, given that the front desk clerk of the hotel may be the one who's cooking your dinner, but the resulting food is well above diner class, and the desserts are excellent. There's a bar and a fireplace as well. edit
- Riverview Terrace Cafe, Highway C and 23 (Inside the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center), ☎ +1 608 588-7900, . Open May-Oct for lunch 9AM-4PM. Guides say it's the only standalone restaurant Wright designed. edit
- Round Barn Lodge & Restaurant, E4830 Hwy 14 & 60, ☎ +1 608 588-2568, . Also offers lodging (see below). edit
- Spring Green General Store and Cafe, 137 S Albany St (Between Jefferson and Madison downtown), ☎ +1 608 588-7070, . M-F 9AM-6PM, Sa 8AM-6PM, Su 8AM-4PM. Weekend breakfast menu served 8AM-noon. Serves breakfast and lunch. Changing menu for lunch, although the cafe also has an unchanging menu. Vegetarian entrees served every day, full breakfast served only on Saturdays and Sundays, with continental breakfast through the rest of the week. Sandwiches and drinks available for takeout. edit
Downtown Spring Green has more bars than restaurants, which is to say "two or three".
- The Shed, 123 N Lexington, ☎ +1 608 588-9049. Has decent food and occasional country music events. edit
- Trader's Bar & Grill, Highway 14, ☎ +1 608 588-7282. Can also arrange canoe rentals. edit
- Eriks Adventures Camping, 6901 High Point rd, ☎ 312 925 0287, . Private campground rented out to groups of 15 or more. starting from 20 per night. edit
- Bob's Riverside Resort, S13220 Shifflet Road, ☎ +1 608 588-2826 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Wi-fi available. Also rents canoes and kayaks. RV hook-ups for $24 per night, tent sites for $19 per night.. edit
- Tower Hill State Park, Located off Highway 14, Highway 23 and County Road C, on the banks of the Wisconsin River, ☎ +1 608 588-2116 (email@example.com, fax: +1 608 588-3476). Campsites and picnic areas. edit
- The Hill Street B&B, 353 W Hill St, ☎ +1 608 588-7751 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. Located in a Queen Anne Victorian home, in a residential area of Spring Green. Rooms $80-100. edit
- House on the Rock Inn & Resort, 3591 Hwy 23, Dodgeville, ☎ Inn +1 608 935-3711, Resort +1 608 588-7000 (email@example.com), . Has none of the fascinating charm of its namesake and more than a little pricey, but it does have a golf course and a swimming pool. Packages with admission to the House itself start at $115/night. edit
- Round Barn Lodge & Restaurant, E4830 Hwy 14 & 60, ☎ +1 608 588-2568, . Indoor pool, sauna, wi-fi. Rooms $45-80 off-season, $80-120 otherwise. edit
- Spring Green Motel, E5296B Hwy 14, ☎ +1 888 647-4410 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Offers plenty of outdoor facilities: grills, picnic tables, barbecue pits, and even a basketball hoop. edit
- Spring Valley Inn, 6279 County Road C (Just off Highway 14), ☎ +1 608 588-7828 (fax: +1 608 588-2821), . Designed by Taliesin architects, this pleasant inn has a relaxed Wright influence without being overbearing about it. There's a pool, fitness center, convenience store, bar & restaurant on-site. It's nice and quiet at night, with leafy surroundings. Double rooms $105-110. edit
- The Usonian Inn, E 5116 Highway 14 (on Highway 14 and Highway 23 South), ☎ toll-free +1 877 876-6426, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Ideally-located, this Taliesin-inspired motel has 11 non-smoking rooms and a selective wine collection in the lobby. Double rooms $59-$110. edit
- Southern Wisconsin produces a lot of wine, and many vineyards are open to the public. See Prairie Du Sac, or inquire at any hotel in the area.
|Routes through Spring Green
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!