Revision as of 14:32, 21 January 2013
Cliffs and hotels in Sorrento
Sorrento  is in Campania. The town features beautiful architecture, many cafes and restaurants, and shops catering to tourists. As it is on the Circumvesuviana rail system it is easily reached from Naples and an ideal base for visiting Pompeii and Ercolano. Ferries regularly commute between Sorrento and Capri, making Sorrento an ideal base for exploring that island as well.
- For other places with the same name, see Sorrento (disambiguation).
- From Naples Airport ('Capodichino'): You can reach Sorrento by bus, from Capodichino to Sorrento busses depart six times daily 
- By train: The Circumvesuviana goes from Naples along the coast ending in Sorrento.
- By bus: The Sita buses from Positano and Amalfi end in Sorrento.
- By car:From Naples' Tangenziale drive south towards Costiera Sorrentina, and be prepared to spend 1.5 hours in the traffic.
- By Boat: From
- Naples: Two companies are currently operating between the port "Napoli Beverello" and Sorrento: http://www.alilauro.it/ and http://www.snav.it (select "Capri e Sorrento"). The service is currently approximately every 120 minutes (July 2012). Price paid in port for a single trip, adult: 12,10€ (July 2012). It takes 35 minutes which is faster than by car or train.
- Ischia and Capri.
A trip to Sorrento is full of possibilities, enjoy a splash in the Naples Bay, a walk through the lively pedestrian only streets at night, or an enjoyable day exploring the ruins of Pompeii. A short trip to Naples will take you to the National Museum that houses some of the best frescoes and art work from Pompeii. You can catch a bus that takes you on a spectacular but hair raising drive through the Amalfi Coast. You will pass through villages built along the cliffs that have some of the most beautiful churches and architecture in the area. Take a ferry to the Isle of Capri where you can shop like you are on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, or take the walk through tree lined walkways to the Nature Park. Capri also has the famed Blue Lagoon, and amazing cave with the most crystal blue waters imaginable. But, one of the most fun things you can do here is rent a motor scooter and explore on your own historic Capri.
- Local buses - the local bus service is good enough to visit all interesting places available in the area.
Marina Piccola in Sorrento
- Lemon terraces
- The pretty Small Port (Marina Piccola)
- The puntacampanella natural reserve 
- Villa Pollio roman ruins in Capo di Sorrento.
- Hotel Tramontano, where Norwegian writer Henrik Ibsen lived while writing parts of Peer Gynt (1867) and Ghosts (1881).
- Museo Correale di Terranova Sorrento's picture gallery
- Archeological Museum of the Sorrentine Peninsula
- Museo Bottega della Tasia Lignea A collection of local applied arts.
- Duomo (Cathedral)
- St. Francis Monastery
- Basilica di Sant'Antonino
- Hire a private charter boat take a day trip to Capri and along the Sorrento Coast or to the emerging tourist destination island of Ischia. Charter La Dolce Vita are the industry leaders on the Sorrento, Amalfi and Neapolitan Coasts and can suggest beautiful itineraries to suit your time frame whether it be you are a cruise ship guest and only have limited time to experience the best coastal sightseeing or you are long-time Sorrento visitors and just want a lazy day at sea. 
- Water taxi, .
- Swim - Go to Marina Grande or (the better option) Marina Piccola. Some reserved areas with sand will ask for a 5-10€ entrance fee (which will also get you a seat and an umbrella). A much better and more spectacular option might even me Bagni Regina Giovanna, a nice little cove from the ocean in a secluded spot. Though a bit far, it's worth the trip (ask the locals for direction).
- Bike rental Rent a bike and ride out of Sorrento to see the coast from above. There is only one bike rental (according to the woman in the tourist information, July 2012): Reaction Retail (http://www.emporiobici.com, homepage seems not to be up yet, 081-8770613) in Viale Nizza 58, Sorrento. Price for 24h was 20€ (July 2012) for a decent MTB, a helmet and a lock.
One of the top souvenirs from the area is limoncello , the signature lemon liqueur. You can find it at Limonoro  Via San Cesareo, 51. This is a good place to see it being made, after which you’ll know why it packs such a punch – it’s basically pure alcohol with flavouring.
- Wine and Limoncello shop located in the historical centre named l'Alambicco , offers limoncello free tasting, is located just few steps from the main square "Piazza Tasso". via San Cesareo 15.
- Leather and fashion shop located in historical centre named Iolanda moda e accessori , have large choice of bags, wallets, bijoux and shoes of the best signs like Valentino, Roccobarocco, Cromnia and more is in via San Cesareo 15 very close from the main square "Piazza Tasso".
- Notturno Intarsio  has the most beautiful inlaid woods. Tables, tea carts, pictures, music boxes. Notturno has been in business for hundreds of years and has the best woodworkers around. Take their tour to see how they make these beautiful pieces of art.
- Gnocchi alla Sorrentina - potato gnocchi with tomato sauce and mozzarella baked to perfection.
- The Pastiera a typical cake that is produced in the area.
- The excellent olive oil produced in Penisola Sorrentina, this product to be prized in many events.
- The artichoke or aubergines parmigiana is a typical dish that is made with tomatoes and cheese.
- Gelateria Davide, Via Giuliani, 35. One of the best gelaterias in the city, this little ice-cream parlour is famous for its gelato that incorporates fresh local flavours. Don't miss the Profumi di Sorrento (with fresh local citrus fruits) or the Noci di Sorrento (with fresh local nuts).
- O Parrucchiano Restaurant, Corso Italia 71, Ph. +39 081.8781321 - Fax +39 081.5324035 6 . Historical, traditional restaurant.
- Villa Rubinacci Restaurant, Via Correale 25, Ph. +39 081.8781151 - Fax +39 081.8072016 . Villa Rubinacci is Hotel Eden's restaurant à la carte, open to both the public and hotel guests. Elegant furnishings in a bright room including outdoor seating in the delightful park settings enhance the chef's traditionally local Sorrentina and Italian cuisine with a creative international flair. Don't miss the famous local pizza prepared in various specialities.
- The Red Lion  is a small, cheap, and surprisingly delicious restaurant, known for catering to tour groups. Traditional limoncello is served after meals.
- Don Alfonso 1890 Restaurant , Corso S. Agata, 13, Sant'Agata sui due Golfi, Ph. +39 081 533 05 58 fax +39 081 533 07 77
- Pizzeria Da Franco, Corso Italia 265, Ph. +39 081-877-2066. €6 pizzas, hot sandwiches, beer, wine, limoncello.
- Limoncello di Sorrento, a strong liquor made from lemon rind. Also try other similar liquors such as Crema al Limone (like Limoncello but cream-based and less strong) as well as local wines (like Falanghina, Lachryma Christi).
- B&B Il Giglio Bianco, Via Parsano, 25, ☎ +39/333 74 22 518, . A tranquil place, between the large and airy rooms all furnished in modern style with balconies overlooking Sorrento citrus plants.
- Casa Gilda Charming House . Telephone +39 3388560460• Fax +39 0810098763. One of the few houses in Sorrento directly on the sea. Situated in Sorrento's most picturesque corner, Marina Grande.
- La Terrazza Holidays House – Sant'Agnello . Telephone +39 3383033219•. Amazing house with 70 mt. sq. sea view terrace overlooking the wonderful Bay of Naples. Up to 13 person. The House is fully equipped, with car parking and air-conditioned, spacious and clean, and the owner is very helpful.
- Hotel Desiree, Via del Capo 31B, +39 0818 781 563. Ten minutes by foot from the city center, Hotel Desiree is a sweet old hotel perched on the edge of a cliff. Some rooms have great views of the sea, others don't. Rooms are small but clean and rates include a light breakfast - highlight is friendly, knowledgeable staff. $70-$110.
- Hotel Nice Sorrento – Corso Italia, 257. . Telephone +39 081 8781650 • Fax +39 081 8783086. The Nice Hotel Sorrento offers cheap accommodations without compromising hospitality and services. The staff of the Hotel Nice, in fact, will be available for any kind of reservations, and the breakfast is included in the price. This hotel of Sorrento also present a very large selection of guestrooms and rates, divided in double, triple and quadruple, standard and economy, starting from €90.
- Ville Vieille B&B Sorrento – Via Meta Amalfi, 80 . Telephone +39 081 5333481 • Fax +39 081 5333481. Bed and Breakfast located on the Amalfi Coast, between Sorrento and the town of Positano, with a fantastic view on the Sorrento Bay. Starting from €60, rates change according to the season and include the breakfast.
- Ulisse Deluxe Hostel, Via del Mare, 22, ☎ +39 081 8774753 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 13.00; checkout: 11.00. Tucked down a side street, but less than 5 minutes walk from the town, the Ulisse is more a hotel than a hostel. It has the facilities of a 3 star hotel, air-conditioned, spacious and clean, and the desk staff are very helpful. Double rooms start from €31 per person (€21 to sleep in a dormitory) and the sizeable continental breakfast is €7.
- Grand Hotel la Pace, (Sorrento Center), ☎ +39 081 8074775, . 5 star hotel with spa, gym, restaurants, suites, parking, shuttle bus for Sorrento and swimming pool bar.
- Hotel Central, (Sorrento Center), ☎ +39 081 878 16 46, . 4 star hotel with sauna, gym, restaurant, swimming pool and bar.
- Hotel Cristina, (Sorrento hills), ☎ +39 081 878 35 62, . 4 stars sea view hotel close to Sorrento with panoramic view, swimming pool, elegant rooms.
- Hotel Villa Fiorita , Via Nastro Verde, Phone +39 0818780003 Fax +39 081 8080950, - email@example.com - 3 star hotel with swimming pool, solarium and bar. Sea view. From €50 per room per night with buffet breakfast included.
- Grand Hotel Hermitage Sorrento – Via Nastro Verde, Sant'Agata sui due Golfi. . Telephone +39 081 8780082 • Fax +39 081 8780062. Four star hotel with swimming pool and restaurant located between Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. It presents 90 bedrooms divided in double, twin (also available with sea view) and triple. All with private bath and shower. The prices include the breakfast and vary from €89 to 109.
- Hotel Villa Margherita , Corso M. Crawford 77 - S. Agnello di Sorrento - Ph. +39 081.8781381 - Fax +39 081.8784759 . A residence which has been recently renovated to offer guests good comfort for a three star hotel. Single rooms from €73 doubles from €108, triples from €140.
- Villa Romita Sorrento – Via Nastro Verde, . Telephone +39 081 8780082 • Fax +39 081 8780062. Former farmhouse of the 19th century turned into an elegant and well furnished four star hotel with swimming pool, spa centre, restaurant and bar, located on the hillside around Sorrento and with a fantastic sea view, also available for weddings. Double rooms €70.
- Villaggio Costa Alta Via Madonna di Roselle 20/A, Piano di Sorrento, Phone 081/53.21.832 - Fax 081/87.88.368
Accomomdations in bungalows, chalet and touring caravans.
- Relais Villa Saverese, Corso M. Crawford, Sant'Agnello, . Late 19th century patrician residence home in a splendid park of palms and citrus trees, a prestigious charming boutique hotel; combines rooms rich in history, such as the library with its antiques and vintage books, with modern comforts and professional service. €100 - €420.
- Villa Serena (Villas to rent in Sorrento), Via Pantano, 21/a, . An exclusive vacation villa rental. A place for a family holiday or a group of 6 friends. The villa stands in beautiful and evocative scenery, in the location of Capo di Sorrento. €4,000-6,500/week.
- Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, 34 Piazza Tasso, ☎ +39 081 877 7111, . Luxury aristocratic hotel set in five acres of peaceful gardens with views of Vesuvius and the Gulf of Naples. €350-630.