||WARNING: The United States State Department has issued a travel warning for all border areas of the United States and Mexico. Rival narcotics gangs have increased violent activities against each other and against non-involved citizens.
Sonora is a desert state in Northern Mexico. While it is not near the top of most people's travel plans, it is not without charm.
- Northwest. Altar Desert and " El Pinacate " zone located here. Rocky Point and San Luis Rio Colorado are located here.
- North. Valleys and hills up to 4'500 ft (1'500 meters). Temperate to hot climate, bush and grassland in the valleys, pine forest in the highest areas, seasonal (dec-mar) snowing.
- Center. Plains and isolated ranges, hot climate and bush/grassland vegetation.
- East. Narrow valleys surrounded by up to 8'200 ft (2'500 meters) mountain ranges the eastmost area is made up of alpine forest. Temperate to hot climate with cold winters. Snow starting at about 4'500 ft from december to march. The roots of the Sonoran culture are in this region, as the oldest towns are located here.
- South. Dry shrub plains. Mayo and Yaqui river have their delta at this region, making it the most important agricultural region in the State, and combined with the north of Sinaloa, the most important of Mexico. The eastmost area of south region have a few spots of jungle, near the town of Alamos.
- Alamos - a fine colonial town
- Aconchi - a small pueblo on the Sonora river. Water hot-springs in the area.
- Agua Prieta - Border town with Douglas, AZ.
- Banámichi - a small pueblo on the Rio Sonora founded in 1639
- Guaymas - Major port. San Carlos beach resort town is nearby.
- Hermosillo - a bustling city of nearly a million people
- Puerto Peñasco - called "Rocky Point" by north americans, it is the nearest beach resort to Arizona
- Ciudad Obregón - a quite new and nice city. The agriculture capital of the state.
- Bahía de Kino - a small but nice beach community near Hermosillo. Bahía de Kino has really nice beaches in a really calm enviroment
- San Carlos- A small resort town with all the stuff to enjoy a calm holiday.
- San Luis Rio Colorado - a border town in the Colorado river delta.
- Nogales- Border town 50 minutes south of Tucson, Az.
- Desemboque In the delta of Concepcion river. In the surrounding land Liberty Cove resort is projected.
- Altar Desert - the desert spanning Sonora and Baja California
- Isla Tiburon -- one of the premier wildlife refuges and sanctuaries in Mexico.
- The Pinacate Nature Reserve, just south of the U.S. border, a stunning example of desert landscape.
The Sonora Desert is a wonderful, calm place to be. Hike on the dead volcanoes, walk over sand dunes, or ride an ATV on the shoreline. More impressively, wach over the great Elegante Crater. From 1965 to 1970, NASA sent astronauts here to train for future lunar excursions because of thesimilarities of this land with the lunar surface.
- If you are a meat eater, you must look out for carne asada tacos. The residents of the region are justifiably proud of their beef industry.
- In Hermosillo you can have lots of different "night food", ranging from tacos de carne asada, sonoran style hotdogs, burro percheron (a burrito on steroids, by this meaning huge), and even sushi wagons in various locations.
- In Ciudad Obregón everybody should try "tacos cebositos", one of the city's specialties or having a cocunut by "la laguna del Nainari" as well as Horchata de coco and the traditional hot-dog.
- Neddless to say that in Guaymas/San Carlos you have to eat awesome seafood. From taco-fish to shrimp dishes, oysters and cocktails you're get impressed by the variety of dishes aviable.
- Don't leave Sonora without having the Wakabaki, a meat stew cooked all over the state, but having its origins in the Mayo region (south), where the best wakabaki is prepared.
- The local brandy is cheap and good.
- Just like Jalisco has Tequila, Sonora has Bacanora, another drink made out of the destillation of agave. It's a quite famous drink among the northwest of Mexico. It is produced mainly on the Bacanora region on the Sierra region of Sonora
- Castaways, . Vacation Rentals in Rocky Point