Sonoma is located in Sonoma County in the Bay Area of California.
Sonoma is a little town in the North bay that is growing constantly, but it still insists on having that small home town feel. There are no freeways or major highways that go thru Sonoma since it is surrounded by hills on every side. The best bet to get in is from Hwy 12 either from Napa, Petaluma or Santa Rosa. Sonoma County is served by direct flights to Charles M. Schulz Sonoma County Airport (STS). Travelers can also fly in to either Sacramento or Oakland Airport. (You can use San Francisco also but it is a little more hectic of an airport). There are many ways to get from the airport including many different bus systems, the airporter, taxi cabs (wouldn't recommend), rental car or since you are in luxurious Wine Country why not rent a limo!
The official visitor information site for all of Sonoma County is http://www.sonomacounty.com/. Order a visitor guide or map online, or call 1-800-576-6662.
There is a really great public bus service.
- Vern's Taxi Service, 18812 Sonoma Hwy # C, (707) 938-8885}.
Sonoma is Home to the Bear Flag revolt and the home of General Vallejo where his mansion is a historic landmark that may be seen on any day of the week. If you pay $2 you can get a pass to see his mansion, the Barracks (home of the military back in the 1800's), and the Sonoma Mission (the first church in sonoma). These three are located on or near downtown Sonoma plaza. The Sonoma plaza is a large park great for families and it houses city hall. Surrounding the plaza are many various shops and five star restaurants.
- The first and most obvious thing to do in Wine Country is to visit one or more of the many wineries in the surrounding area.
- Take a horseback ride through the vineyards.
- Bicycle along the picturesque countryside.
- Take a balloon ride over the beautiful landscapes.
- Take a cooking course at Ramekins and then relax with a wonderful meal on site. Besides wine, Sonoma is also know for its arts.
- Annual Jazz, Art and Wine festival and the Salute to the Arts. If you're around in August and September, you don't want to miss those!
- TrainTown http://www.traintown.com/ is a fun attraction for young children.
Traditional handcrafted cheeses from The sonoma cheese factory, Sonoma Valley Wine
- Carnero's Bistro and Wine Bar, 1325 Broadway, ☎ +1 (707) 931-2042.
- Meritage martini Oyster Bar & Grill, 165 West Napa Street. +1 (707)938-9430.
- The Girl and the Fig, 110 West Spain Street, ☎ +1 (707) 938-3634, . Great food with a French flair.
- Rin's Thai Restaurant, 139 East Napa St, ☎ +1 (707) 938-1461, . Sun, Tues-Thur 11:30AM-9PM, Fri & Sat 11:30AM-9:30PM, closed Monday. Tasty Thai food in a great location. Beautiful decorations inside, with wood carvings and art, and a nice patio with seating in the summer.
- Mary's Pizza Shack (The Original Shack), 18636 Sonoma Hwy, ☎ +1 (707) 938-3600. One of two Mary's Pizza Shack's in Sonoma. This is the Original and a great place to bring the family for pizza. You can sit outside under a beautiful oak tree or inside.
- Mary's Pizza Shack (On the Plaza), 8 West Spain St., ☎ +1 (707) 938-8300. This Mary's Pizza Shack is located right off the main plaza in Sonoma. A good place to take the kids when they don't want fancy wine country food anymore. Good pizza and salads.
You're in Wine Country! There are many great wineries all around Sonoma. If you can't decide you can also go to the Wine Exchange on First Street East on the plaza and they can recommend some great wines and beers too! Eventually our Wikitravellers may actually list some of the better ones below.
- El Pueblo Inn, 896 West Napa Street, Sonoma, California 95476, ☎ 707-996-3651 (fax: 707-935-5988), .
- Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn, 550 2nd Street W, ☎ +1 707 938-9200 (toll free: +1 800 334-5784, fax: +1 707 938-0935), .
- The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa, 1325 Broadway at Leveroni & Napa Roads, ☎ +1 707 935-6600 (toll free: +1 888 710-8008, fax: +1 707 935-6829), .
- Ledson Hotel, 480 1st Street East, ☎ +1 (707) 996-9779, .
- The Swiss Hotel, 18 West Spain Street, ☎ +1 (707) 938-2884, . A swiss hotel in a historic Californio home.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!