Sogamoso is a city in the department of Boyacá in Colombia. It is located at 2492 m above sea level and the population is around 130 000 inhabitants.
- From Bogotá : catch a bus at the Portal Norte, 4h30 (22,000 COP)
- From Tunja : frequent buses, 1h30 (7,000 COP)
- El Templo del Sol (Sun Temple)
- La Pilita de la Unión
- La Casona de Pie de Cuesta (Big house)
- Sacred Fountain of Conchuda
- El Oratorio (Chapel)
- El Arco De Monquirá (Arch)
- Hill and Chapel of Santa Barbara
- Museo arqueologico de Sogamoso Eliécer Silva Célis, Calle 9a No 6-45, ☎ (098) 770 3122. Tu-Sa : 9 am to 12 pm and 2 pm to 5 pm / Su and holydays : 9 am to 3 pm. Inside displays archeological findings of the chibcha civilization, don't miss the mummys. Outside is a reconstruction of an indian village containing several houses as well as the impressive 2 stories Templo del Sol. Adult : 3,500 COP / Student : 3,000 COP.
- Agama yoga, Finca San Pedro, Kms. 2 via Aquitania, Sogamoso, ☎ 312 567-7102, . Run by Juan who's been trained for more than 7 years around the world, this is South America's first and only Agama Yoga School. He gives Spanish and English weekend Yoga workshops of introduction to Yoga in Colombia and he hopes later to bring these teachings to other Spanish-speaking areas and communities.
- Marques de Puntalarga Winery, km 7 autopista Duitama Nobsa (Look up for country flags up the hill, the entrance is not well marked), ☎ (8) 802-2664 / 316 898-3532 (email@example.com). Located at the altitude of 2600 m in a sunny valley between Duitama and Nobsa, this is South America´s highest commercial winery. It specialises in white wine and its Reisling has won international awards, including a 2nd prize in Strasbourg. Bottles are sold starting at 40,000 COP. 30,000 COP per class.
- Thermal Pools in Iza
- Dont miss:
Lago de Tota and surrounding villages- Colombia's highest and largest natural lake, at an altitude of 3015m, is easily reached from Sogamoso by bus and is a must see. Dotted around the spectacular lake are towns including Aquitania, which is famous for its trout. Visit Restaurant Don Lucho, to the right of the Cathedral, to try fresh rainbow trout and regional drink 'Refajo' which is a mix of beer, apple soda and malt. Other towns include Tota and Cuitiva. This beautiful circuit around the lake is an achievable day trip by bus from Sogamoso with some spectacular scenery.
The lake also boasts a beautiful white sand beach 'Playa Blanca', located between Aquitania and Tota. There is a restaurant and BBQs here and remember to check returning bus times.
Thermal Pools- Located in Iza, these thermal pools and sauna offer an opportunity to relax and unwind. Choose between multiple pools for varying temperatures. Entry cost is $9500 for the day and less if you are staying at Finca San Pedro. You will need to take a short taxi from Iza to reach the pools.
Other Towns- An easy bus ride from Sogamoso are numerous colonial towns well worth exploring. Visit the white washed Tibasosa with it's beautiful plaza and home of the fruit 'Feijoa', which cafes serve in juice, sweets, ice cream and alcohol. Beautiful Mongui is located high amongst mountains. The catedral and adjoining monestry here is magnificent. Obviously there is Iza with its thermal pools and famous sweets, especially popular on a Sunday afternoon around the central plaza. You can also find great bread at Firavitoba, and a wide sample of ‘ruanas’ (traditional ‘poncho’) and many wool handicrafts at Nobsa.
- Refajo : a mix of beer, apple soda and malt.
- Hostel Finca San Pedro, +57 8 770 4222, +57 312 567 7102, +57 310 772 6819, +57 310 556 2207, . This brand new, family run posada is located on a 2 hectare farm on the edge of Sogamoso. The beautiful historic house and farm has been in the family for over 80 years. Owned and run by Gilma together with her sons Felipe and Juan, they are fulfilling a lifelong dream of running a hostel and showcasing the spectacular surrounding region to people from overseas. Their vision for the hostel is for it to be a place for relaxing and exploring and to this end, ask that you respect their no drugs and alcohol policy. Also located at the Finca is the Agama Yoga School, owned and operated by Juan. The posada offers a range of accommodation options. The dormitory (single beds, 4 per room) cost $25,000. Private rooms with bathroom range in size and start from $50,000 for 2 people, with a third person being an additional $25,000. Camping on the finca grounds is welcome (although your friendly neighbors will be the families 6 dogs!) and costs $10,000 per person. There is also a fully self contained cottage, it's best to email the Finca for prices and availability. All of these prices include breakfast of coffee, aromatic tea, toast and fruit. Other facilities include free internet and WiFi, hot water, laundry service, a safe and a personal sauna. Services including massage, aromatherapy, music and fire therapy's are also available. Best to email prior to arrival to ensure availability. Once in Sogamoso, a taxi from the bus terminal will cost around $3,500. Otherwise, the local bus heading to Aquitania runs straight past the finca, keep a look out for the finca´s yellow archway.
- Tibasosa : Famous as the world capital of the feijoa fruit. Well conserved main plaza surrounded by shops selling feijoa derived products : sweets, ice cream, liquor, arequipe... (Bus : 1,000 COP)
- Monguí : Beautiful colonial village set in the hills that celebrated its 400 years in 2001. Access to the Páramo de Ocetá. (Bus : 3,000 COP)