| || |
As Turkish bus system is extensive, you can find buses from many cities in Turkey, including [[Istanbul]] (
60 TL one-way, which takes around 14 hours) and [[Ankara]] among many others. |+|
As Turkish bus system is extensive, you can find buses from many cities in Turkey, including [[Istanbul]] (TL one-way, which takes around 14 hours) and [[Ankara]] among many others.
| || |
Revision as of 10:22, 17 July 2011
Sivas is a city in northeastern part of Central Anatolia, Turkey.
Summers in Sivas are hot and dry but with low levels of humidity, and winters are bitterly cold. As with most other parts of Anatolian highland, nights even in summer are a bit chilly in Sivas, so don't forget to pack along at least a cardigan with you.
There are daily flights from Istanbul and Ankara to Sivas Airport (VAS). A number of other cities across Turkey are also served with less frequent flights.
- Istanbul, Izmit, Eskişehir (Doğu Express, Güney Express, Vangölü Express)
- Ankara, Kayseri (Doğu Express, Erzurum Express, Güney Express, Vangölü Express, 4 Eylül Mavi Treni)
- Batman, Diyarbakir, Malatya (Güney Express, 4 Eylül Mavi Treni)
- Tatvan (Lake Van), Muş, Elazig (Vangölü Express)
- Kars, Erzurum, Erzincan (Doğu Express, Erzurum Express)
A sleeping berth on Güney Express from Istanbul costs 55 TL.
See Turkish State Railways website for more details .
As Turkish bus system is extensive, you can find buses from many cities in Turkey, including Istanbul (70 TL one-way, which takes around 14 hours) and Ankara among many others.
- Buruciye Medresesi, (at the city centre), . An ancient Islamic school with wonderful architecture with the usual majestic gate like the other Seljuk sites have. A nice to take lots of photographs as great sights occur as the sun moves.
- Sıla Etli Ekmek. A great place to have etli ekmek—long thin breads topped with finely minced meat, kind of a Turkish pizza, a speciality of Central Anatolia.
- Çerkezin Kahvesi is a good place to have a cup of Turkish coffee.
The telephone code of the city (and surrounding towns) is (+90) 346.
There are a number of spas in the countryside surrounding Sivas.
- Soğuk Çermik is a spa center. Hafik, Todurge (Zara), and Gokpinar (Gurun) Lakes are some of the interesting nearby places for picnicking, boating and fishing.
- Besides its historical treasures, the surrounding region possesses several other specialties, one of which is Balıklı Kaplıca, an interesting spa in the town of Kangal. It is a thermal spring, filled with tiny fish living in the hot waters, which provides a different type of cure for skin complaints. It is the only cure center in the world for psoriasis, known in Turkish as sedef hastalığı.