St. Michael's Cathedral spire
Sitka is a city on the Pacific Ocean coast of Baranof Island in Alaska, the largest state in the United States of America. Originally settled by Tlingit Indians, Sitka also has history as a Russian settlement.
- Sitka Rocky Gutierrez Airport (IATA: SIT), 605 Airport Rd. served by Alaska Airlines, 1-800-426-0333, . Sitka Tours at 907-747-8443 provides an airport shuttle to the downtown area or to any accommodations. May-September, $6 one-way; $8 round-trip.
- Alaska Marine Highway, Phone: 1-800-642-0066, .
- Transit Shuttle, 907-747-7290. Runs only on days when there are scheduled to be at least 1000 cruise ship visitors. May-Sept, M-F. Shuttle operates one hour after ship arrives in port up until ship departure. Stops every 25-30 min. at Crescent Harbor Shelter, Sheldon Jackson Museum, Sitka Nat’l. Historical Park, Alaska Raptor Center, a downtown stop by Random House, the Tribal Community House, O’Connell Bridge docking area. $10pp all day pass; $5pp round trip.
- Hank's Taxi & Tour Service, 907-747-8888, (Email: email@example.com), . Operates 4AM-12AM.
- Yellow Jersey Cycle Shop, 805 Halibut Point Rd. downtown, across from Harrigan Centennial Hall, 907-747-6317, (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Full service bike shop with daily or weekly bicycle rentals.
- Esther G Sea Taxi, 907-747-6481, cell phone (907) 738-6481, Email: email@example.com. Over twenty years experience. Marine transportation to remote locations for hiking, biking, camping and kayaking. Captain Davey Lubin.
- Sitka National Historical Park, 106 Metlakatla St., 907-747-0110 . No food service or lodging in this park.
- Visitor Center open year round: mid-May through September daily 8AM-5PM; October through mid-May: M-Sa 8AM-5PM. Closed on Federal holidays during the winter months. Over 12 years old $4, under free. Wheelchair accessible. The Southeast Alaska Indian Cultural Center, totem poles, and museum exhibits are located in the building. Exhibits depict traditional Tlingit life. A short video reviews Sitka's history.
- Russian Bishop's House open mid-May through September daily 9AM-5PM. Ranger-led tours are offered every 30 minutes. October through mid-May open by appointment only. 12 years old $4, under free. This original log structure built in 1843 is one of the last remaining buildings from the Russian colonial period. Not wheelchair accessible.
- Park Trails open mid-May through September daily 6AM-10PM; October through mid-May daily 7AM-8PM. Free. Walk in a temperate rain forest under towering trees, observe migrating salmon, explore the intertidal zone, and study wildlife. A pleasant walk through the Alaska woods with interesting totem poles interspersed throughout the walk.
- Alaska Raptor Center, 1000 Raptor Way, 1-800-643-9425, . May-September Su-F 8AM-4PM. Adults $12, under 12 $6. Bald eagles and other raptors from all over the Western United States are treated at this 17 acre facility bordering the Tongass National Forest. See the eagles, hawks, falcons and owls up close.
- St. Michael's Russian Orthodox Church, 240 Lincoln St., 907-747-8120. Although the original was burned down and restored, the artifacts inside including the icons were largely preserved from the fire.
- Isabel Miller Museum, 330 Harbor Dr. (downtown), Phone: 907-747-6455, . Historical society museum.
- Saint Lazaria National Wildlife Refuge (by boat tour)
- Mt. Edgecomb, which looks like Mt. Fuji, looms in the background and dominates views to the west.
- Harris Aircraft Services, 400 Airport Road, Phone: 907-966-3050, (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org), . A floatplane flightseeing trip is a good way to get an overview of Baranof Island.
- Sitka Tribe of Alaska Tours, 200 Katlian St., Toll Free: 1-888-270-8687, . Escorted tours by bus, walking, or hiking.
- Call of the Wild Adventures, 907-738-2458, . Go saltwater sport fishing with a friendly local instead of with an over-priced 'monster' lodge.
- Russian and native handicrafts are featured products.
There are a nice mix of restaurants in Sitka including a Mediterranean and a Mexican restaurant despite the town being relatively small.
- Bayview Restaurant, 407 Lincoln Street, Phone: 907-747-5440. Breakfast lunch or dinner overlooking the harbor. American.
- Ludvig's Restaurant, 256 Katlian St., ☎ 907-966-3663, . Tu-Sa 12PM-9PM. Mediterranean. Dinner:$18-$28.
- Ernie's Old Time Saloon, 130 Lincoln Street, 907-747-3334. Chips, peanuts, pool table. Live music F,Sa nights. Hours: M-Sa 8AN-2AM, Sunday Noon-2PM. Cash only.
- Pioneer Bar, 212 Katlian Street, ☎ 907-747-3456. Maritime themed bar.
- Highliner Cafe, 327 Seward Street backside of Seward Square Mall, . Internet cafe with gourmet expresso drinks and freshly roasted coffee, full line of bagels, freshly baked breakfast stuffed croissants, Scandinavian cookies, other pastries.
- Cascade Inn, 2035 Halibut Point Road, Phone: 907-747-6804 or toll free: 1-800-532-0908 (fax: 907-747-6572, email: email@example.com). Sitka's only waterfront hotel, a little over 2 miles from downtown. All rooms have private balconies with views of the Pacific Ocean. Oceanfront sauna and barbecue, laundry and convenience/liquor. 10 Rooms. $85-140.
- Eddystone Inn, 2898 Sawmill Creek Road, Phone: 907-747-3313, (fax: 907-747- 3333, email: firstname.lastname@example.org). On a private peninsula, with Alaskan themed rooms, ocean views, hot tub, TV, private park, phone, and Alaskan hosts. About 10 minutes from downtown Sitka. 6 Rooms. $85-160.
- Shee Atika Totem Square Inn, 201 Katlian Street, Phone: 907-747-3693 or toll-free: 866-300-1353 (Email: email@example.com). Right in downtown Sitka, this hotel is within easy walking distance of many of Sitka's attractions. Complimentary continental breakfast, shuttle service, wireless internet, exercise equipment, restaurant, shopping, travel agency, charter agency, charter dock drop off and meeting facilities.
- Super 8 Motel, 404 Sawmill Creek Road, Phone: 907-747-8804 or toll free: 1-800-800-8000, ( fax: 907-747-6101). Downtown location; short distance from airport. Jacuzzi, laundromat, free coffee/toast bar, cable TV, children 12 & under stay free, car packages available in off-season. Pets accepted with permission and deposit. 35 rooms. $80-120
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!