Silkeborg  is in Jutland.
Rail or bus from Aarhus or Copenhagen via Skanderborg
Hjejlen sails between Silkeborg and Himmelbjerget (1hr 15 min). Bookings tel: 86820766. Hjejlen is both the name of the oldest boat and the company that now operates several boats. The Hjejle-boast stop at many interesting places and with a return ticket, you can go on and off. This also gives you the opportunity to ride at least once with the original steam paddleboat.
- AQUA . Freshwater aquarium with fish, otters, birds. The big tanks can be viewed both from above outside the building and from the side, inside the building. Has touch tank where you can pet the fish. Entrance DKK 85.
- Silkeborg art museum Gudenåvej 7-9, tel:86825388,  houses the Asger Jorn collections. Open Apr-Oct: Tu-Su 10am-5pm, Nov-Mar: Tu-Fr noon-4pm, Sa-Su 10am-5pm. Entrance DKK 50.
- Paper museum at papirfabrikken.
- Hjejlen  go on a boat ride on the oldest operative paddle steamer in the world.
- Himmelbjerget. Walk this 147 meter "mountain" (Himmelbjerget is literaly sky mountain) and the tower on top of it (DKK 7.50 entrance for the tower). There are kiosks, restaurants, toilets next to the top. You can get there by the river boats (stop: Himmelbjerget).
pedestrian shopping street
There are several restaurants at the paper mill:
- Michael D The restaurant and brasserie at the Radisson hotel at papirfabrikken. Tel +45 88822222.  Menus from 250DKK.
- Cafe Eval. Papirfabrikken 10. tel: 86803366, Good beers and tapas, pastas, steaks, and burgers. Tapas or pasta main course 70DKK.
- Radisson SAS, Papirfabrikken 12, tel:88822222. Good hotel located at the Gudenå river in the former paper mill. from 895 DKK. Free internet, wireless at ground level, wired in rooms(get access code, RJ45 cable at the reception).
- Scandic, Udgaardsvej 2, 8600 Silkeborg, Denmark, tel +45 86 80 35 33, email email@example.com, nice hotel not far from the Silkeborg Langsø, 2 kms or so out of town. Rooms from c. 990 DKK.
- Hotel Dania . Central location.