| || |
Revision as of 20:40, 23 March 2010
Despite its reputation, Siberia is not just about cold snow!
Siberia (Сиби́рь Sibir) is a region in Russia.
- Lake Baikal. The pearl of Siberia. It is the deepest and one of the purest lakes in the World.
With an area of nearly 10 million sq.km., Siberia is vast. While the popular view of Siberia is of howling arctic wastes dotted with penal colonies, the truth is more complex. The west of Siberia is covered by a swampy plain, the central plateau is heavily forested, and the east has mountains soaring to above 3,000 meters. Only the extreme north is true tundra, where temperatures can hit -68°C in winter.
The Trans-Siberian Railway, connecting Moscow to Vladivostok, is by far the most famous method of transportation in Siberia. Covering a distance of 9,289 kilometres, making it one of the longest railways in the world, the full trip takes over 6 days and crosses 8 time zones. Its branches the Trans-Manchurian and Trans-Mongolian connect to Beijing in China, the first directly, the second via Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia.
Less famed is the Baikal-Amur Mainline (BAM), a northern line running parallel to the Trans-Siberian for 4,234 km. Completed only in 1991 and built mostly for military reasons, further away from the border of China, the BAM is much less touristed.
Cold ostriches in Siberia
- Mountainous Altai (Gorny Altai) - this region of Siberia is very popular among eco tourists. Mountainering and mountain rivers' rafting are wide spread here. The area is famous for its stunning scenery.
- Ethnic Khanty Nomad Camp, Kazym
- Ethnic Mansi Nomad Camp, Yasunt
- Siberia on Video 
- Mushroom picking
- Alpine Sports
- Whitewater rafting
- Cross country skiing
- Dog sledding
- Reindeer herding
- The Gulag Museum at Perm-36, village Kutchino, Tchusovskoi region, Perm region, ☎ +7-919-492-5756, . 10AM-5PM. The prison camp Perm-36 was closed in 1988, and later turned into the only genuine Gulag museum in Russia. There is a small cinema and a few exhibitions describing life in the high security area and in the special treament area. 50 roubles.
- Vodka (водка) and tea (чай)