Shrewsbury is a town in the agricultural Susquehanna Valley region of York County, Pennsylvania. It is located four miles above the Mason-Dixon line (PA-MD border). With approximately 3,500 people residing in Shrewsbury, it is a small suburban community with many farms and family owned or Amish farmers' markets. It's accessibility to Interstate 83 makes it very easy for travelers to reach many other Pennsylvania and Maryland locations.
Shrewsbury was first settled in part of a larger area known as Shrewsbury Township in 1739. As the village developed, it was incorporated as its own town in 1834. The largest ancestry group in Shrewsbury is from Germany, with 38 percent of residents today identifying with either German or Pennsylvania Dutch heritage. The town of Shrewsbury covers a mere 1.8 square miles, existing in the township that covers 29 square miles. The township includes Shrewsbury, Railroad, New Freedom, and Glen Rock, and students attend the Southern York County School District.
The town has developed rapidly, with a population increase of 45 percent in the past 20 years. With nearly double the people, farms and pieces of land have been sold and commercialized with creation of strip malls and multiple shopping plazas. Although Shrewsbury is part of the York metropolitan area, most commuters travel south to Baltimore County for work. Sixty-five percent of Shrewsbury residents are married or have families, with a median family income of about $57,000 per year. Majority of citizens in Shrewsbury claim to be registered Republicans, and demographically, the town is 97 percent white.
* Driving North: From Baltimore, take Interstate 83 North. Shrewsbury is the first exit when you cross into Pennsylvania, Exit 4 Shrewsbury.
* Driving South: From York, take Interstate 83 South. Shrewsbury is the last exit before crossing the Maryland line, Exit 4 Shrewsbury.
* Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI), Baltimore, MD 21240, 410-859-7111. About a 50 minute drive from Shrewsbury, BWI is the hub for Southwest Airways and has many other flight options available. There are also many rental car companies for travelers to choose from if they are driving North to Shrewsbury. Be careful of rush-hour flights because traffic can make the commute over an hour and a half on any given day. Take 195 West from the airport to Interstate 95 North for 2.1 miles. Take the I-695 North/Baltimore Beltway Inner Loop for 17 miles, and exit 24 to Interstate 83 North. Shrewsbury is the first exit once you cross into Pennsylvania, exit 4 Shrewsbury.
* Harrisburg International Airport (MDT), Terminal One, #300, Middletown, PA 17057, 717-948-3900. Smaller airport than BWI with less flight options, but is a shorter commute because there is usually less traffic traveling South to Shrewsbury. There are also many rental car companies to choose from. Take 283 West from the airport to Interstate 76 West (the PA turnpike) for 5 miles. Exit 242 takes you to Interstate 83 South. Drive for 36 miles to exit 4, Shrewsbury.
Rabbit Transit, Main Location: 1230 Roosevelt Avenue, York, PA 17404. 717-846-7433, http://www.rabbittransit.org/. There are Rabbit Transit stops at many different places in Shrewsbury, including Shrewsbury Commons, Market Square, the public library, and the Markets at Shrewsbury. Service is reliable and can take you from Shrewsbury to other places around York County on 15 of their fixed routes. The Shrewsbury to York route is Monday-Friday, 6 am - 7 pm. Senior citizen and student discounts are available. Out of town adult one-way fare: $1.40. Unlimited adult day-pass: $4.25.
1. Mason-Dixon Family Restaurant, 3 Old Farm Lane, Market Square Shopping Center. 717-235-6471. Monday-Friday, 6 am – 9 pm, Saturday and Sunday, 7 am - 8 pm. Always busy with locals and families, but fast and welcoming service with local high school students waiting and hosting tables. Diner-type food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Pancakes and waffles for less than $2. Average breakfast platter price: $5.75.
2. Big Apple Bagels, 586 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, Shrewsbury Commons, 717-235-9559. http://www.bigapplebagels.com/shrewsbury. Monday-Friday, 6 am - 6 pm, Saturday 7 am – 5 pm, Sunday 7 am – 4 pm. Order at the counter and get your breakfast or lunch to eat there or to-go. Very quick service, with Brewsters’ Coffee, fresh bagels and muffins baked every day. There are also breakfast sandwiches and deli, salad, and omlette sandwich options. Average breakfast or lunch sandwich price: $6.00.
3. Cracker Barrel, 13600 Wolfe Road, Stonebridge Plaza, 717-235-4040. http://www.crackerbarrel.com/. Sunday – Thursday, 6 am – 10 pm, Friday and Saturday, 6 am – 11 pm. Home style country cooking served at large tables, where the fireplace can keep you warm. Breakfast is served all day, along with lunch and dinner menus. Busiest on Sunday mornings, but you can wait for your table outside on the rocking chairs or browse the country store. Entrees are more expensive than other breakfast locations and the service is a bit slower, but you also get larger portions and side dishes with every meal. Homemade desserts baked daily. Average breakfast platter price: $8.00.
4. Ship to Shore Coffee, Inc., 17 Old Farm Lane, Market Square Shopping Center, 717-227-2232. Monday-Friday, 6 am – 5 pm. Saturday and Sunday, 7 am – 4 pm. Serves light bakery items along with coffee beans that are roasted right on location. Huge selection of coffee drinks, cappuccinos, lattes, etc. Very friendly owner that knows most of his customers by name. Drive-up service on weekday mornings and a side room with tables and board games available too. Average pastry and cup of coffee price: $5.00.
5. Starbucks Coffee, Inc., 14605 Mount Airy Road, Shrewsbury Square, 717-227-3520. http://www.starbucks.com/store/12078. Monday – Saturday, 5:30 am – 9:30 pm. Sunday, 6 am – 9 pm. Drive-thru and walk-in service available that is very fast and very friendly. Serves all Starbucks products with light breakfast and lunch items available as well. Wireless Internet available. Average pastry and cup of coffee price: $6.00.
1. Aldo’s Pizza, 39 E Forrest Avenue, 717-227-0445.
2. Bill Bateman’s Express, 985 Far Hill Drive, Stonebridge Plaza, 717-235-2500.
3. Coach Light Restaurant, 99 E Forrest Avenue, 717-235-4711.
4. Emerald Garden, 564 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, Shrewsbury Commons, 717-227-2288.
5. Ginza Japanese Restaurant, 616 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, Shrewsbury Commons, 717-227-4949.
6. Nikolas’ Café, 551 S Main Street, Market Square Shopping Center, 717-235-2200.
7. Ruby Tuesday’s, 1020 Far Hills Drive, Stonebridge Plaza, 717-235-0223.
8. Sal’s Pizza, 437 S Main Street, 717-227-4846.
9. Spataro’s Italian Restaurant, 634 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, Shrewsbury, Commons, 717-227-2000.
1. Arby’s, 669 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, 717-235-8849. http://web.sa.mapquest.com/arbys/advantage.adp?transaction=locmap&mapstyle=european&recordId=6849&name=Unit%20#6849&address=669%20SHREWSBURY%20COMMONS&city=SHREWSBURY&stateProvince=PA&country=US&latitude=39.768432&longitude=-76.669207&iconid=32433001. Open every day from 10 am - 10 pm, drive-thru available. Roast beef sandwiches, curly fries, and other alternatives to a "typical" fast food menu. Average meal price: $4.99.
2. Chick-fil-A, 14665 Mount Airy Road, Shrewsbury Square, 717-235-4200. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner available Monday-Saturday, 6 am - 10 pm, drive-thru available. Closed on Sundays. Chicken sandwiches, waffle fries, wraps, desserts, and other fast food items. Average meal price: $6.99.
3. McDonald’s, 534 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, 717-235-4663.
4. Quizno’s, 14645 Mount Airy Road, 717-235-7310.
5. Rita’s Italian Ice, 466 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, 717-235-8588.
6. Subway, 18 Constitution Avenue, 717-227-0065.
7. Subway, 576 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, 717-227-1741.
8. Taco Bell, 450 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, Shrewsbury Commons, 717-227-1307.
9. Wendy’s, 75 E Forrest Avenue, 717-227-2563.
1. Domino's Pizza, 548 S Main Street, 717-235-6500.
2. Pizza Hut, 546 S Main Street, 717-235-7911.
1. New China, 549 S Main Street, 717-227-0028.
2. No 1 Szechuan, 14625 Mount Airy Road, Shrewsbury Square, 717-235-2828.
Shrewsbury only has one hotel in the Stonebridge Plaza. There are motels off the exit before and the exit after on Interstate 83 if travelers would like to seek cheaper locations. Most people traveling in and around Shrewsbury have family nearby; for those familiar with the area, the Bed and Breakfast that used to exist on Main Street was closed a couple of years ago.
Hampton Inn, 1000 Far Hills Drive. From Interstate I-83 take Exit 4, Shrewsbury. East onto Rt 851 (towards Stewartstown). Turn left onto Wolfe Rd in the Stonebridge Plaza. Take the first left onto Far Hills Drive, and the Hampton Inn is on the left. Phone: 717-235-9898. Fax: 717-235-9897, http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=SWYPAHX. Check-in time at 3 pm, Check-out time at 11 am. Can be seen from Interstate 83. As the only hotel in town, there are always lots of people coming and going, so travelers should almost always plan to book their stay in advance. There's a complimentary breakfast with good service, and an indoor swimming pool that is very clean. Current price is listed as $111/night.
* Shrewsbury Borough Municipal Building, 35 W Railroad Avenue, 717-235-4371.
* Southern York County Library, 80 Constitution Avenue, 717-235-4313.
Nearby destinations that are suitable for day trips include:
* York, PA: Explore the unofficial, first capital of the United States and the original Harley-Davidson manufacturing factory. (15 miles, approx. 20 minute car ride)
* Harrisburg, PA: Explore the Capital of Pennsylvania. (42 miles, approx. 50 minute car ride)
* Hershey, PA: Explore Hershey Park and other chocolate town attractions. (50 miles, approx. 50 minute car ride)
* Lancaster, PA: Explore Amish country. (40 miles, approx. 45 mintue car ride)
* Baltimore, MD: Explore Inner Harbor and enjoy Maryland blue crab or other fresh seafood. (40 miles, approx. 45 minute car ride)
* Washington, D.C.: Explore the nation's Capital. (80 miles, approx. 1.5 hour car ride)