Bloody Lane at Antietam Battlefield
Sharpsburg is a small historic village in Western Maryland, home to Antietam National Battlefield.
Sharpsburg and Antietam National Battlefield are accessible only by car, although once you're there, the village itself is very easy to cover by foot. Sharpsburg is located on MD-34, which connects with US Interstate 70 via MD-64 and US-40.
Antietam National Battlefield
- Antietam Cafe & Wine Bar, 111 W Main St, ☎ +1 301 432-0711, . The place to eat in Sharpsburg, with a full bar and crab cakes that attract favorable reviews.
- Jacob Rohrbach Inn, 138 W Main Street, ☎ +1 301 432-5079, +1 877 839-4242 (email@example.com, fax: +1 877 839-4242), . An exceptionally charming, historic Bed & Breakfast (1804), offering a multi-course daily breakfast, free WiFi, and antique furnishings. Double: $130-185.
- The natural "next stops" for visitors interested in Civil War sites are the incredible national battlefield at Gettysburg (one hour away) Monocacy (half hour) and Harpers Ferry (half hour).
- Next door is the original Washington Monument at Boonsboro.
- Crystal Grottoes offers underground cave tours, minutes from Sharpsburg.
- The closest cities of any real size are Hagerstown and Frederick.