The Shaker Heights Public library, formerly Moreland Elementary School
Shaker Heights  is an upscale suburb of Cleveland in Northeast Ohio. The town was one of America's first planned suburban communities and has served as the home of many of the region's corporate, legal and health care leaders. It previously served as an enclave for the North Union Shaker Community.
Shaker Heights was originally established in 1822 as the North Union Settlement of the Shaker community, a religious group that established several communities throughout the eastern and midwestern United States. This group was responsible for damming Doan Brook and creating the Shaker Lakes, but the group's strict practice of celibacy eventually led to their demise in the late 1800s.
In 1912 the village of Shaker Heights was incorporated by the Van Sweringen brothers who envisioned a garden community for commuters to Cleveland. The brothers set aside land for churches and schools, laid out curving streets, planted trees, and established a streetcar system (today's RTA) that led directly from the city to downtown Cleveland. The town's strict building codes led to a distinctive architectural identity, and today many of the mansions and other buildings found in the city are featured in architectural texts.
Over the years the town's residents have included a variety of famous business and entertainment personalities including actor Paul Newman, comedian Molly Shannon, and football player Nate Clements.
Books and Guides
- Images of America - Shaker Heights (OH) by Bruce T. Marshall, Arcadia Publishing. Describes the history of Shaker Heights with photographs.
The Blue Line and Green Line provide services to Shaker Heights from Cleveland.
Also, the bus lines 14, 40 and 41 drive through Shaker Heights.
If getting around in Shaker Heights by bike, note that bikes must be registered, and wearing a helmet is obligatory.
Cars can be rented at the following companies:
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 3596 Lee Rd, +1 216 921-9805
- Hertz, 15809 Chagrin Boulevard, +1 216 752-1282
- Shaker History Society, 16740 South Park Blvd, ☎ +1 216 921-1201, . 2pm-5pm Tu We Th Fr Su. A small museum about the Quaker sect that settled in the area in the 19th century. $2.
- Shaker Heights Public Library, 16500 Van Aken Boulevard, . Housed in a large former school building, the main Shaker library offers books, multimedia, and computers. A second branch is located at 20600 Fayette Road near the Middle School.
- Malcolm Brown Gallery, 20100 Chagrin Boulevard, ☎ +1 216 751-2955. Tue-Fri 11am-6pm, Sat 11am-4pm.
- Nature Center at Shaker Lakes, 2600 South Park Blvd, ☎ +1 216 321-5935, . Center 10am-5pm Mo-Sa 1pm-5pm Su, Trails dawn to dusk. Hiking trails, including one wheel-chair accessible boardwalk trail, as well nature programs and exhibits inside the center.
- Shaker Heights Thornton Park, 3301 Warrensville Center, ☎ +1 216 491-1295, . This park offers an ice skating rink, tennis courts, basketball courts, skateboard park, batting cages, and a large outdoor swimming pool
- Camp Robin Hood, 3330 Somerset Dr, ☎ +1 216 491-2267.
- Shaker Heights Country Club - Pool, 3300 Courtland Boulevard, . 11am to 6pm Mo, 11am to 7pm Tu-Su.
- Shaker Square, (on Shaker Blvd just west of Coventry), . While technically located in the city of Cleveland, Shaker Square is a historic shopping district with independent stores and unique restaurants located just north of the city border.
- Shaker Plaza and Van Aken Center, 20119 Van Aken Blvd (Van Aken Blvd and Warrensville Rd). Home to several restaurants and a number of boutique shops.
- Shaker Town Center, 16722 Chagrin Blvd (Chagrin Blvd and Lee Rd). This shopping center offers a range of fast food options, groceries, a book store, and other shopping options.
- Shaker Shop, Shaker Heights City School District Administration Building, 15600 Parkland Drive, . Offers unique Shaker logo clothing and accessories.
- Pearl of the Orient Restaurant, 20121 Van Aken Blvd, ☎ +1 216 751-8181, .
- SASAmatsu Japanese Izakaya Asian Bistro, 13120 Shaker Square, ☎ +1 216 767-1111, . Open until midnight (Su until 10pm). This restaurant is located at the border between Shaker Heights and Cleveland.
- Taste China Restaurant, 20166 Van Aken Blvd, ☎ +1 216 991-4828.
- Alfonso's Restaurant Group, 20153 Van Aken Blvd, ☎ +1 216 752-9994.
- Los Habaneros Authentic Mexican Restaurant, 20255 Van Aken Blvd, ☎ +1 216 991-4522, . 11am to 10pm Mo-Th, 11am to 10:30pm Fr, noon to 10:30pm Sa, noon to 9pm Su. up to $13.99.
- Saffron Patch Authentic Indian cuisine, 20600 Chagrin Boulevard, ☎ +1 216 295-0400, .
- The Metropolitan Brownie, 3682 Traynham Road, ☎ +1 216 295-1498.
- Rudy's Pub, 20110 Van Aken Blvd, ☎ +1 216 752-9280, . Offering pub food as well as drinks, with happy hour appetizers starting at $1 (Monday - Saturday from 4PM - 7PM).
Shaker Heights doesn't have any hotels. For hotels near Shaker Heights, see Beachwood.
- Beachwood - A neighboring suburb that is home to Beachwood Place Mall and numerous other shopping and dining options.
- Cleveland - The major city that dominates the region, Cleveland has experienced a revival in recent years and offers numerous food, lodging and entertainment options.
- Cleveland Heights - A neighboring suburb that is home to the Coventry District, a funky neighborhood with shopping, dining, and entertainment options.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!