The Serra de Tramuntana is the mountain chain that runs along the north-west coast of Mallorca, reaching from Andratx to the Cap Formentor.
- Sóller: one of the most popular destinations on the northern coast of Mallorca
- Pollença: in the north-east some call it the second capital of the island
- Port de Pollença: a beautiful and quiet beach resort
- Andratx: wonderful scenery and popular with the rich
The Serra de Tramuntana runs along the north-western coast of Mallorca. From Andratx in the west to Cap Formentor in the north-east it has a length of about 50km and a width of about 7km. It elevates up to 1445 at Puig Major (which is not accessible for the public). The scenery is characterized by bizarre shaped limestone rocks, pine woods and grass with some, partly abandoned, fincas inbetween. The coastline is steep and has only very few beaches. Limestone walls fall directly into the sea from a height of about 300 to 500 meters.
This is the best option to travel in the Serra de Tramutana. The R710 on its run from Andratx to Pollenca is by far the most scenic drive on Mallorca and many places are only accessible by car / your own transport.
Public transport into the Serra de Transmuntana is sparse. From Palma de Mallorca buses run to Soller and via Andratx, Soller and Lluc to Pollenca on the R710.
A tourist train runs between Palma and Sóller several times a day and is one of the islands main attraction. It`s a scenic drive and a nice option for a day-out of Palma.
As public transport is rare a car will be the best option. Car rental is available at nearly every town and prices are relatively cheap.
- Take a scenic drive along the R710 with some wonderful views of the rough mountain scenery and the coast.
- Start your day in Andratx and wonder why all these people have so much money.
- Visit the Monastir de Lluc.
- And don`t forget a visit to Pollenca for a break at the nice market.
- Sa Calobra: probably the island`s if not Spain`s most famous road; do the drive and find out why they built it.
- La Granja, (near Esporles, in the west of Serra de Tramuntana), ☎ 971 610 032, . Summer 10am-7pm, winter 10am-6pm. A 18th-century finca in the mountain. Really charming as the finca still lives today. The interior is filled with a beautiful collection of artefacts which recreate the life of the farm at the end of the 19th-century. Learn how your great-grandparents dyied tissues and how they made perfume. See how they harnessed the power of water to grind, to saw and even to produce electricity. In the surrounding park live farm animals and interesting plants. Don't forget to taste the delicious home-made cookies sold in the old kitchen. And eat at the excellent restaurant if you have time (about €30 for a two courses Majorcan meal with wine). Adult €10, child €5.
The central point for mountain hikes is the place of pilgrimage named Lluc. Other good places are Soller and Pollenca.
Respect the private property and don't cross grounds if not permitted. If you pass a gate, leave it in the state you have met it, i.e. leave it open if it was open (otherwise the cattle cannot get to their drinking place) and close it, if it was closed (otherwise the cattle will escape.)
Rent a bicycle and do as the Pros ...
- Wednesday : Andratx, Puerto Pollenca
- Saturday : Soller
- Sunday : Pollenca
Many restaurants offer their services in Andratx, Soller, Valdemossa and Pollenca but cater mostly for the tourists.
Don`t forget to stop for a drink in one of the many cafes at Pollenca`s and Soller`s market places.
- The Campside of Lluc is the main camping facility in the Serra. It offers basics like toilets and cold showers and has a lot of fireplaces usable for barbecue. If you are lucky, you will find some wood prepared for burning. An axe is helpful. Like all mallorcian campsites, it's for free.
- Between km 16 and 18 on the road from Pollença to Lluc, there are some more recreation areas where camping is allowed.
- Lluc, a fine and large double room for about 30 Euros. Single rooms are only less cheaper.
Crime is no problem but the weather is! Keep in mind that weather changes may occur every time so take a jacket and warm clothings with you. The hiking trail along the Torrent de Pareis is especially dangerous after rainfalls so inform yourself about the weather. And don`t forget to take something to drink.
wikipedia:Serra de Tramuntana