Difference between revisions of "Serra de Tramuntana"
Revision as of 05:56, 17 April 2006
The Serra de Tramuntana runs along the north-western coast of Mallorca. From Andratx in the west to Cap Formentor in the north-east it has a length of about 50km and a width of about 7km. It elevates up to 1445 at Puig Major (which is not accessible for the public). The scenery is characterized by bizarre shaped limestone rocks, pine woods and grass with some, partly abandoned, fincas inbetween. The coastline is steep and has only very few beaches. Limestone walls fall directly into the sea from a height of about 300 to 500 meters.
The central point for mountain hikes is the place of pilgrimage named Lluc. Respect the private property and don't cross grounds if not permitted. If you pass a gate, leave it in the state you have met it, i.e. leave it open if it was open (otherwise the cattle cannot get to their drinking place) and close it, if it was closed (otherwise the cattle will escape.)
This is the best option to travel in the Serra de Tramutana. The R710 on its run from Andratx to Pollenca is by far the most scenic drive on Mallorca and many places are only accessible by car / your own transport.
As public transport is rare a car will be the best option. Car rental is available at nearly every town and prices are relatively cheap.
- Take a scenic drive along the R710 with some wonderful views of the rough mountain scenery and the coast
- Start your day in Andratx and wonder why all these people have so much money
- Visit the Monastir de Lluc
- And don`t forget a visit to Pollenca for a break at the nice market #
- Sa Calobra: probably the island`s if not Spain`s most famous road; do the drive and find out why they built it.
- Hiking along several trails (but keep in mind that weather may change, so be prepared)
- Rent a bicycle and do as the Pros ...
Many restaurants offer their services in Andratx, Soller, Valdemossa and Pollenca but cater mostly for the tourists.
Don`t forget to stop for a drink in one of the many cafes at Pollenca`s and Soller`s market places.
Crime is no problem but the weather is! Keep in mind that weather changes may occur every time so take a jacket and warm clothings with you. The hiking trail along the Torrent de Pareis is especially dangerous after rainfalls so inform yourself about the weather. And don`t forget to take something to drink.