Seaside is a city in Monterey County in the Central Coast region of California. It's on the coast of the Monterey Bay just north of the city of Monterey. Formerly the site of the Fort Ord military base, Seaside now has a PGA Tour-hosting golf course and the California State University of Monterey Bay. It is a good home base from which to see all the towns on Monterey Bay.
Sand City, a three-square-mile town with a population of around 300, is surrounded by Seaside on three sides. A former sand manufacturing area, it has become an artist's colony, and its industrial buildings now house an array of galleries.
Most visitors who go to Seaside get there by driving. It is located directly on coastal Route 1. Visitors coming from Route 101 South can take Route 68 west to Route 1 North; visitors coming from Route 101 North can take Route 156 west toward the Monterey Peninsula. Route 156 merges with Route 1 South and leads directly to Seaside.
Visitors can also take Amtrak's Coast Starlight to Salinas, and then take Monterey-Salinas Transit (MST) Route 20 to the Edgewater Transit Exchange, at the Edgewater Shopping Plaza in Sand City, across the street from Seaside.
Seaside is a small town and can easily be seen on foot.
Bus service from Monterey-Salinas Transit gives access to Seaside and nearby towns, such as Monterey and Pacific Grove.
Many people use bicycles to get around Seaside. Bicycles can be rented from many vendors near the beach in Monterey.
The most convenient way to see Seaside is by car. Traffic jams are rare, and parking spots are plentiful.
- Seaside Beach is a popular spot for kite-flying, while Sand City beach is known for its parasailers. Both are also great places to watch the sun set.
- Sand City has a large number of artist's galleries, most open to the public. It also has an annual arts festival, the Sand City Westend Celebration, every August.
- Bayonet and Black Horse Golf Course, . , recently renovated, has 36 holes. It was originally the golf course for the Fort Ord military base, but has been upgraded since.
- Stammtisch, 1204 Echo Ave #C, Seaside, CA, 93955, ☎ 831-899-3070. is an authentic German restaurant run by a Bavarian couple renowned up and down the coast for its fantastic menu of genuine German comfort food.
- Monterey Bay Chocolates, 1291 Fremont Boulevard, Seaside, CA 93955, ☎ 831-899-7963, . is known for its 40-foot long chocolate buffet.
- Fishwife, 789 Trinity Ave., Seaside, CA 93955, ☎ 831-394-2027, . serves fresh, local produce and seafood with both California and Caribbean influences.
- Ol' Factory Cafe, 1725 Contra Costa St., Sand City, CA 93955, ☎ 831-394-7366, . is a coffee shop during the day, and a bar at night. It has the deepest beer list in Monterey County. There are regular live music performances, as well as local art shows.
- Best Western Magic Carpet Lodge, 1875 Fremont Boulevard, ☎ +1 831 899-4221 (toll free: +1 800 232-4232, fax: +1 831 899-3377), .
- Holiday Inn Express, 1400 Del Monte Blvd, ☎ +1 831 394-5335, .
- Monterey is right next door, and it's only a five minute drive from most Seaside hotels to the historic district of that town. Just beyond Monterey is Pacific Grove and Carmel. Big Sur is about 45 minutes south on Route 1.