Scheveningen is a seaside resort district in The Hague, the "international city on the sea".
This sea-side resort was originally an independent fishing village, but soon came to be part of greater city of The Hague. Its inhabitants still maintain a sense of local identity, however. The area is divided into three parts: Haven is the seaport where fishers' boats still come in. It is not particularly picturesque like some French or Spanish fishing harbors, but some good fish shops and restaurants are available. Dorp is the former fishermen's village itself. The last part, Bad (meaning bath, not bad) is the beach resort that most visitors head for. The resort has a history of long royal and well-to-do visitors, but its 19th century grandeur has largely disappeared now due to unfortunate property development in the seventies. The area gets very crowded in summer. For large-scale nightlife, most city dwellers prefer Scheveningen to the center of town.
Scheveningen is divided into two districts; Noorderstrand (Northern Beach) and Zuiderstrand (Southern Beach). The northern beach area is the most famous and is most touristic. The southern beach is more urban and there is usually less to do, but it may be less crowded on sunny days,
Tram 1 and Tram 9 run between the city centre of The Hague and Scheveningen Noorderstrand.
Bus 22 runs from The Hague's central train station to the northern beach.
Tram 11 runs between The Hague's second largest train station (Hollands Spoor) and the Zuiderstrand.
- Atlantic Wall Museum, Scheveningen Coast, . In January, 2009, The city of The Hague approved funds to develop Scheveningen newest museum which will be of interest to everyone with an interest in WWII history.
- Museum Beelden aan Zee, . This museum has a large collection of contemporary sculpture and rotating exhibitions. It has been recently built in the dunes underneath a 19th century classicist beach pavillion. It has glass walls and roofs that allows views of the surrounding dunes, pavillion and sea. Harteveltstraat 1, just a few hundred meters due south along the coast from the Kurhaus. Tu-Su 11-17. Entrance E. 7,00.
- Museon, Stadhouderslaan 37, ☎ +31 (0)70 338 13 38, .
- Muzee Scheveningen, Neptunusstraat 92, ☎ +31 (0)70 350 0830, .
- Museumschip Mercuur A856, Dr. Lelykade - 2e binnenhaven, ☎ +31 (0)70 354 03 15, .
- SeaLife Museum, 
- Different beaches of Scheveningen 
- Kurhaus, . This former bathhouse and concert venue dates from 1886 and is the only remaining luxury resort hotel dating from the 19th century. It is currently in use as a luxury hotel and still serves as the icon and centerpiece of Scheveningen. Gevers Deynootplein 30.
- Lourdes Grotto, a unique replica (1:13 scale) of the Lourdes Grotto in Massabielle (France) awaits your discovery in the RC Our Lady of Lourdes Chapel . Open daily, for prayer and contemplation, from 9AM - 6PM. Berkenbosch Blokstraat 9a, Scheveningen. Enter under the clock tower, in the "heart" of the A.J. Kropholler "Kerkdorp" complex(1913) - a designated monument, found next to the Circus Theater.
- Sint Antonius Abt Catholic Church, 
- Pier, . Opposite the Kurhaus lies the Pier, which was rebuilt in the sixties after the 19th century orginal was destroyed in World War 2. It affords nice views of the coast line with the Kurhaus. At the end is a restaurant which offers outstanding views of Scheveningen's coastline.
- Scheveningen Lighthouse
- Holland Casino Scheveningen, Kurhausweg 1, ☎ +31 (0)70 306 77 77, . 10AM-11PM. The Holland Casino offers a complete night out on the town. The Casino offers a full schedule of live entertainment, a top restaurant and a chic gaming hall and boasts of being the biggest casino on the west coast of Europe.
- Madurodam, George Maduroplein 1, ☎ +31 (0)70 416 24 00, . 10AM-11PM. Madurodam
- Join the crowd on the sunny days
- Take a dive in the north sea
- Have a drink in one of the many beach clubs
- Take an one of 11 the "Scheveningen Haring-Route" self guided walking tours through Scheveningen. New for 2012!
- Powerboat Scheveningen (Powerboat Scheveningen), Dr. Lelykade 26 (see website) (Harbour of The Hague, Scheveningen), . Powerboat Scheveningen offers you a fantastic rib powerboat ride out on the open sea. You can choose to enjoy either a calm and relaxing trip to enjoy the view or a wild ride with speeds up to 100km/h.
- Hommerson Beach Stadion, Noordhavenhoofd, Strandweg, .
- Bungy Jump Center Scheveningen, Strandweg - The Pier, ☎ +31 (0)70 350 68 63, .
- Rederij Groen, Dr. Lelykade 1d, ☎ +31 (0)70 355 35 88, .
- Rederij Vrolijk, Dr. Lelykade 22a, ☎ +31 (0)70 351 40 21, .
- Party Ship Minerva, 2e Binnenhaven, ☎ +31 (0)70 358 84 28, .
- Hart Beach Surfschool, Strandweg 3, ☎ +31 (0)70 350 2591, .
- M-Sports Surfschool, Strandweg 2, ☎ 06-24889037, . Surflessons, board hire, workshops, SUP rental etc...
- Waterkant, Westbroekpark Scheveningen (across from the Havenkade), ☎ +31 (0)70 350 28 63, . 10AM - 9PM. Do enjoy an picnic while floating through Westbroek Park's ponds and canals in your private rowboat. euro 6/hour and 8 on weekends.
- M-sports Beach Events, Strandweg, ☎ 0613033430, . 22 different activities...check the site for more info
- Get married in Scheveningen, . Bath place.
Lunchrooms, Coffeehouses and Snackbars
- ZO - zoet and zout, Duinstraat 1, ☎ +31 (0)70 355 80 40, .
- Simonis, Vissersafslagweg 20, ☎ +31 (0)70 350 00 02, .
- Wed. J. van der Toorn, Vissershavenweg 55a, ☎ +31 (0)70 354 57 83.
- Henk Kraan, Visafslagweg 60, ☎ +31 (0)70 354 34 15, .
- Mero, Vissershavenweg 61E, ☎ +31 (0)70 352 3600, .
- Cap Ouest, Schokkerweg 37, ☎ +31 (0)70 306 0935, .
- Seinpost, Zeekant 60, ☎ +31 (0)70 355 52 50, .
- Crazy Piano's, Strandweg 21-29 (see website), ☎ 070 3227525, . Opening hours are mo/th 11.00-03.00 and fri/sun 11.00-04.00. A great place for live music with various artists from all over the world. A small entrence fee is required to get in, but it is well worth it. The name really says it all: piano's, but I guess a blues, jazz or sometimes lounge athmosphere is what describes the style of the piano players best.
Scheveningen is crowded with beach clubs. Most are open until 2AM or 4AM on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- Club Live, Badhuisweg 3, .
- Danielz, Strandweg 43, ☎ +31-70-350-20-68, . outside 10AM-1AM daily, club Th-F 11PM-5AM, Sa 10PM-5AM.
- Oase Beachclub, Noorderstrand 59, ☎ +31-6-53-19-46-04, .
- Blue White Studio, Bosschestraat 63, .
- Jorplace Beach Hostel Scheveningnen, Keizerstraat 296, ☎ +31 70 338 3270, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. A favorite amongst the young international sun, surf, sail and soccer crowd. Extreme sport enthusiasts and backpackers alike will appreciate this new hostel's location in the historic heart of Scheveningen and it's proximity to to the beach. From €16.50 per person per night.
- Hotel Albion, Gevers Deynootweg 118-120, ☎ +31 (0)70 355 79 87, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. This friendly three star family operated hotel, located just steps from the beach, offers 15 moderately priced rooms. Tram 1 to Delft, stops nearly in front of the hotel's sunny terrace. From € 50 p.p. inc. breakfast.
- Ambassade Arena Art'otel - The Hague, Berkenbosch Blokstraat 3 (From The Hague Centraal Station (CS) or Holland Spoor (HS): Tram 9 or 1. Stop: Circus Theater), ☎ +31 70 306 0123, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. For some 15 years, this hotel's Dutch and American owners have established a solid reputation with international travelers. Lodging is offered in two restored landmark buildings less than 150m from the beach. Beautiful rooms and apartments with free internet access make it an ideal choice for extended stays. Tram 9 stops nearly in front of the door! (Circus Theater) €69(1P)- €110 (2P). (52..1103780622958,4.283503890037537)
- Skotel, Zwolsestraat 189 (The long building north-east of the Kurhotel, it has a very discrete sign. Parkin from Horstenhoekweg), ☎ ''+31'' 703552800 (email@example.com, fax: ''+31'' 703588487), . Skotel is a hotel run by the Hague hotel school to train the students. €78.
- Scheveningen Seafront Apartment, . Luxury 2 bedroom and 2 bathroom apartment rental with stunning sea views next to the 5 star Kurhaus hotel.
- Kurhaus, Gevers Deynootplein 30, . This former bath house and concert venue dates back to 1886. It was almost demolished in the 1970s, but was saved and is now listed as a historical building. The Kurhaus is currently in use as a luxury hotel and casino and serves as the iconic centerpiece of Scheveningen.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!