Schöningen is a town of about 13,000 inhabitants in the district of Helmstedt in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is located near the border with Saxony-Anhalt, on the southeastern rim of the Elm hill range. In its current form, it was created in 1974 by joining the municipalities of Esbeck, Hoiersdorf, and Schöningen. Schöningen is a stop on the German Framework Road.
In archaeology, Schöningen is famous for four ancient wooden spears found in an opencast mine near the town (Bamford & Henderson 2003). The spears are about 400,000 years old (Klein. 2005. p114), making them the world's oldest human-made wooden artifacts, as well as the oldest weapons, ever found. Three of them were probably manufactured as projectile weapons, because the weight and tapered point is at the front of the spear making it fly straight in flight, similar to the design of a modern javelin. The fourth spear is shorter with points at both ends and is thought to be a thrusting spear or a throwing stick (Bamford & Henderson 2003). They were found in combination with the remains of about 20 wild horses, whose bones contain numerous butchery marks, including one pelvis that still had a spear sticking out of it. This is considered proof that early humans were active hunters with specialized tool kits.
The first historical mentioning of the Saxon settlement in the Royal Frankish Annals dates back to 747, when the Carolingian Pepin the Short stayed here during the conflict with his half-brother Grifo. Schöningen was the site of a Königspfalz of Pepin's son Charlemagne and later of the Ottonian dynasty. Saint Willigis, Archbishop of Mainz from 975, was probably born at Schöningen about 940.
From the 14th century it was held by the Welf dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg, who granted Schöningen town privileges in 1332. About 1350 Duke Magnus the Pious had a castle built here to secure the nearby border with the Bishopric of Halberstadt.
- Airport Hannover-Langenhagen (HAJ, 101km)
- Magdeburg-Cochstedt International (CSO, 53km) 
- Leipzig/Halle (LEJ, 168km) 
- Airport Paderborn/Lippstadt (PAD, 252km) 
- Airport Frankfurt am Main (FRA, 380km) 
Inter City to Helmstedt. KVG Coach to Schöningen. http://www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml
For connections: http://www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml
A2 to Helmstedt. Exit 63-Helmstedt-Ost . Right on to B1 (Traffic sign : Braunschweig/Königslutter/Helmstedt/Schöningen). Left on to B244. Distance to Schöningen 9.7 km.
Autohaus Christoph Seydel GmbH
Alversdorfer Weg 5
Basse Autovermietung GmbH
Tel.: 05352 - 8866
Fax: 05352 - 9099140 |
- 400,000 year old Schöningener Spears
- German Framework Route
- 14th century Scahaningi castle
- St. Lorenz Church (14th century)
- Local History Museum (build 1593)
- St. Vincent church
- City Hall overlooks the town square, the place of Schöningen’s weekly market (Saturdays 8am-12n). Here’s a great opportunity to buy some delicious fruits & veggies, colorful flowers, and wonderful souvenirs for your journey home.
- So much of Schöningen is best explored outside. Right on the edge of the forest is a wonderful golf course. Though, if you’re not so inclined to play the links, there’s always the pool & sauna to relax in. Though, that might be a better idea to do after you’ve gone out and done the hiking & biking thing through the Lower Saxon countryside.
- St. Lawrence - a different golf club . Well above the visible church of St. Lawrence on the edge of the Elms extend the fairways of the Golf and Country Club St. Lawrence, one of which has beautiful views in the Magdeburg region up to the resin. The difference from other golf clubs is' That certain something of St. Lawrence, "a blend of the unique location of the place, nestled in the beautiful countryside, near its namesake, the ancient monastery of good St. Lawrence, whose cobblestone manor and the underlying park-like Gutsgarten. For this purpose, the listed, hundreds of years ago from Elmkalkstein built farm buildings, where there is now also the cozy clubhouse. In this particular setting puts it, what is rarely found today: sports, culture, history and landscape that are close together. A young golf club against the backdrop of centuries-old tradition. Golf with a historic view
- Elm Lappwald Nature Park bicycle tours. Ask Schliesser Bike for assistance to get around and/or to lead a bicycle tour . Schließer Bike ,Wilhelmstr. 10 , 38364 Schöningen , Tel.: 05352 - 8866 , Fax: 05352 - 9099140 | http://www.schliesser-bike.de/
- Horseback riding - Riding arena (50x20m), large equestrian center site at the quarry near the youth hostel: Reit- und Fahrverein Schöningen, Augustastr. 16, 38364 Schöningen,Tel.: 05352/59094.
- Restaurant "... wie in Oma´s Küche" : German cooking. Insider's diner # 1, very friendly service, consistently good food, nice ambience and priced moderately. -Inh. Michael Mechow Wellmannstraße 1 -Tel.:05352-50241 .
- Greek Restaurant "Akropolis" : tastes almost better than in Greece. Tasteful interior,relaxing ambience, very friendly service, fast turnaround. Owner Maria Simeonidou -Salzstraße 14 - Tel.: 0 53 52/18 79
- Definitely one of the town's top restaurants .German & Italian kitchen, very nice ambience, friendly service, good special occasion restaurant. Groups, Seminars & Weddings. "Schloss-Restaurant" , Burgplatz 1 , Tel.: 0 53 52/90 75 90 
- Famous "Cherrywine Ranch" with extraordinary location at the edge of the Elm Park. Inh. Martin Rhode , Zum Waldfrieden, Tel.: 0 53 52/31 78 , Menu and Map
- Restaurant "Kanzlerkeller": German cooking in a nice place. Service is medium grade, so is the cooking. Inh. Kerstin Bonnett - Burgplatz 3 - Tel.: 0 53 52/82 52
- Restaurant "Deutsches Haus" : German coooking at its best. Very friendly service, nice place, very rich menu to choose from, excellent for larger groups. Inh. Albrecht Haage - Hötensleber Straße 3 - Tel.: 0 53 52/25 89
- Greek Restaurant "Irodion" : the place is clean but needs an upgrade. Very friendly service, some of the ingridients overwhelming, all in all a fair share for the inexpensive meal. Inh. Ilias Pilatos - Markt 26 - Tel.: 0 53 52/22 01
- Restaurant "Kurhaus": The restaurant Kurhaus Schöningen is in a nice neighborhood. Very popular for weddings, birthday celebrations but also for society. The guests are mostly from the region. Cozy atmosphere. - Inh. Albrecht Haage - Bahnhofstraße 13 - Tel.: 0 53 52/31 81
- Restaurant "Ratskeller": German upscale cooking in City Hall's basement - a warm, sophisticated atmosphere is the ideal backdrop for an evening or an elegant dinner. And there are sophisticated menus and dishes, excellent beers and excellent wines on the cards. - Inh. Matthias Krawczyk - Markt 1 - 38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 05352/969789
- Located in the center of town ,the Orient has an entire variety of food. Gyros, Döner, Pizza, Chicken,Fish and a kids menu. Catering. Clean and friendly serice, a good deal for the price. Restaurant "Orient-Imbiß", Inh. Saliha Turan , Niedernstraße 19 , 38364 Schöningen,Tel.: 0 53 52/87 95 , Menu
- German Kitchen : Schnitzel, fish and salat. Friendly service. Located on the mainroad in suburb of Esbeck. Restaurant "Sportschänke". Owner Janine Weis, Alte Kirchstraße 1 a , 38364 Schöningen , Tel.: 0 53 52/30 80
- German, Italian and oriental food . Moderately priced and perfect location in the center of town. Bistro Antalya , Markt 25 , 38364 Schöningen , Tel.: 0 53 52/9062816 , Tel.: 0 53 52/9686014
- Cafe & Bar No. 44 : Pizza, Pasta and Burger . Variety of cake and coffee . In & Outside seating availeable. Very friendly service. At night this place changes into a bar for locals to hang out , talk ,listen to music while sipping a cold beer . Live music on weekends . #1 hot spot to hang out by day and night! Inh. Thomas Piehler - Niedernstraße 44 -38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 0 53 52/9 08 22 13
- Cafe & Bistro Negenborn : Off the beaten track and mostly frequented by locals. Service very friendly . Inh. Thorsten Lohmann -Negenborntrift 25 -38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 0 53 52/9 37 37 77
|| This article or section does not match our manual of style or needs other editing. Please plunge forward, give it your attention and help it improve! Suggested fixes: None specified. Please use the article's talk page to ask questions if you are not sure why this tag was added and whether it is safe to remove it.
Hötensleber Straße 3
Am Wallgarten 12
Pension M. Scholz
Hinter dem Kreuze 21
Ferienwohnung "Am Markt"
Fax: 05352-3752 -