| || |
| || |
*<do name="Cheese Haven" alt="" address="2920 E Harbor Rd, Port Clinton, OH 43452" directions="Intersection of State Route 53 and State Route 163" phone="+1 419-734-2611" url="www.
cheesehave.com" hours="10a-7p" price="" lat="" long="">Ohio's largest cheese store with over 160 different kinds of cheese. Large selection of meats that you can't get anywhere else, and a huge candy selection. Also, the largest display and selection of local Lake Erie Island and Ohio Wines. Open year round Wednesday through Sunday 10am-6pm and April through October, 7 days a week from 10am-7pm.</do> |+|
*<do name="Cheese Haven" alt="" address="2920 E Harbor Rd, Port Clinton, OH 43452" directions="Intersection of State Route 53 and State Route 163" phone="+1 419-734-2611" url="www..com" hours="10a-7p" price="" lat="" long="">Ohio's largest cheese store with over 160 different kinds of cheese. Large selection of meats that you can't get anywhere else, and a huge candy selection. Also, the largest display and selection of local Lake Erie Island and Ohio Wines. Open year round Wednesday through Sunday 10am-6pm and April through October, 7 days a week from 10am-7pm.</do>
*'''Bayer Necessities''', Dock A1, Battery Park Marina. ''1+'' 419-265-0126
*'''Bayer Necessities''', Dock A1, Battery Park Marina. ''1+'' 419-265-0126
Revision as of 01:47, 17 March 2011
- For other places with the same name, see Sandusky (disambiguation).
Sandusky is a city in Northwest Ohio and county seat of Erie County, on Ohio's north coast along Lake Erie between Cleveland and Toledo. It is perhaps best known for Cedar Point Amusement Park, home to some of the world's tallest and fastest roller coasters. It is one of Ohio's prettiest downtowns and is very clean. Walking along the waterfront in the business district should be considered very safe compared to most cities. There is a pier for those who want to fish. They say late winter fishing is great at the pier due to the fish gathering in Sandusky Bay for spawning in the local rivers and streams. Elevation: 580ft/176.8m.
- Check Sandusky's 7 day forecast at NOAA
- The Jet Express, 101 West Shoreline Drive, 1-800-245-1538 (email: email@example.com), . Trips to Kelly's Island and Put-in-Bay.
- The Pelee Islander, 1-800-661-2220. Daily trips to Pelee Island and mainland Ontario, Canada. Service from Sandusky is limited to once daily during the summer months, and is further restricted during the spring and fall. Advance vehicle reservations.
- The MV Jiimaan, Jackson St, . The largest passenger ferry along the Lake Erie route to Pelee Island. Leaves from the foot of Jackson St., Sandusky. To Leamington, Canada, Kingsville Govt. Dock, Ontario, Canada and Pelee Island, Ontario, Canada.
- Shelby Street Boat Launch, 101 Shelby St. 1+419-621-1059 Host to many fishing tournaments.
- Castaway Bay Marina 10 Harbor Parkway. 1+ 419-626-3611
- Cedar Point Marina 1 Cedarpoint Dr. 1+ 419-627-2334
- Fox Run Pier at Lyman Harbor, 1615 First St. 1+ 419-625-9626
- Sandusky Harbor Marina, 1 Huron St., 1+ 800-877-3625 
- On the Ohio Turnpike (I-80):
- Take Exit 118(7) and follow the signs north on U.S. 250
- Take Exit 110(6A) and follow Route 4 north.
- Amtrak - take a train to ride a coaster. The train station is in an area with some other city offices and well lit. If you are arriving or departing from this station during dark hours or bad weather, you can call the Police at +1 419-627-5900, they will come and unlock the well-maintained passenger waiting room. You may want to call about 20 minutes before your arrival.
Driving is easy and pleasurable. Taxis are scarce. Ferries to the islands leave from Catawba Island, Marblehead and Port Clinton to the west. If you are just pleasure driving, consider going west along the lake to Marblehead, Catawba Island and Port Clinton. These are more scenic areas with plenty of tourist attractions. Be on the outlook for bicycles and pedestrians during the day and after dark. Traffic and drinking while driving laws are strictly enforced.
Be aware that it is illegal to cross the causeway to Cedar Point by foot (and highly impractical).
- Bay Area Bike Rentals, Downtown. 1+419-626-1048
- Roeder Harley-Davidson Authorized Rentals 5316 Milan Rd. (US 250) 1+ 419-621-1046 21 years or older, valid motorcycle license, minimum $2,000 available on credit card.
- Sandusky Transit System, +1 419-627-0740, , to schedule a ride. Bus delivers you to Cedar Point gate. $2.
The main attraction is of course Cedar Point, but the surrounding area along the lake offers plenty to see. By going west toward Catawba Island (which is accessed by a land bridge), you will find plenty of historic sites like the Marblehead Lighthouse from where you can see Cedar Point, or picnic, fish or watch the lake boat traffic and enjoy the coolest breeze in Ohio. Johnson Island has a Civil War Cemetery at the site of a Civil War Officers prison compound. The area is littered with historic sites. The older cemeteries in Sandusky and on the islands are also very interesting for those who appreciate stone carving.
Often overlooked is the beach at Cedar Point, one of the nicest and cleanest beaches on Lake Erie. It is adjacent to the Breakers Hotel at Cedar Point and outside Cedar Point fence. Seldom, if ever crowded.
Merry Go Round Museum - Sandusky, OH
Sandusky and the surrounding areas are hopping from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Tourists travel from all over the Great Lakes and Midwest Regions to visit Cedar Point and many other amusement venues as well as for boating, fishing and island hopping on the nearby Lake Erie Islands. If you are planning to fish and are not familiar with the area, keep in mind that although you catch some fish from the shore, those with the big catches are fishing offshore. Charter boats can provide everything you need except a license, for about $100 per person per day or more. They, as well as the "head boats" have navigation equipment and sonar equipment to find the fish at spots the boat owners are familiar with on the lake. Head boats are not quite as fancy and take more people, but prices are as low as $35 per head.
- Cold Creek Trout Camp, 4711 Venice Road, +1 419-621-7900, . It is not likely you will find another spot like this. Located at the mouth of Cold Creek, where the waters enter Sandusky Bay, at the west edge of Sandusky. The waters originate south in Castalia, Ohio at a large cavernous natural spring known as The Blue Hole, which, mysteriously seems to have no bottom. A one time the Blue Hole was open to the public and had a large fish breeding operation, adjacent to a state fish hatchery. The waters stay at a constant tempature of 48 degrees year around and never freezes, making for a perfect year around fishing spot. Trout were first introduced into Clear Creek in 1873 and have thrived since then. There is a healthy population of rainbow, brook and brown trout as well as Coho Salmon, Steelhead and northern pike.
- Cedar Point Amusement Park, located on a peninsula into Lake Erie; just follow the signs around town to the Cedar Point Causeway, 1 Cedar Point Drive, +1 419-627-2350, .
- African Safari Wildlife Park live animals roam the fields while you drive your car through the park.
- Follett House Museum, 404 Wayne St. 1+ 419-625-3834 Local history. Hours vary.
- Ghostly Manor Thrill Center, 3319 Milan Rd. (US 250). 1+ 419-626-4467 Haunted house, XD 3D theater, motion rides, Ghostly Gifts.
- Maritime Museum of Sandusky, 125 Meigs Street in downtown Sandusky across from Battery Park, +1 419-624-0274, .
- Merry-Go-Round Museum, 301 Jackson Street, +1 419-626-6111, . Hours vary, but closes at 5pm days that they are open. Located Downtown. A carousel ride is included with museum admission.
- Ohio Veterans Home Museum & Hall of Fame, at Ohio Veterans Home - US 250 1+ 419-625-2254 ext 1447. Exhibits from Civil War to present, Johnson Island and Spanish-American War. Year-round Sa-W 8:30-4:30 Free.
- Sandusky Speedway, 614 West Perkins Ave, +1 419-625-4084, . 1/2 mile oval asphalt track. Stock Car racing at its finest. Nice track, located close to Cedar Point.
- Cheese Haven, 2920 E Harbor Rd, Port Clinton, OH 43452 (Intersection of State Route 53 and State Route 163), ☎ +1 419-734-2611, . 10a-7p. Ohio's largest cheese store with over 160 different kinds of cheese. Large selection of meats that you can't get anywhere else, and a huge candy selection. Also, the largest display and selection of local Lake Erie Island and Ohio Wines. Open year round Wednesday through Sunday 10am-6pm and April through October, 7 days a week from 10am-7pm.
- Bayer Necessities, Dock A1, Battery Park Marina. 1+ 419-265-0126
- C-Cat, 832 Curran St. +1 419-622-9342.
- Speerfish Charters, 570 Bimini Dr, +1 419-627-8340, .
Cruises - Ferries & Catamarans
- The Goodtime I, +1 419-625-9692, . The Goodtime I Departs from Sandusky daily on an island hopping cruise.
- Sandusky Area Welcome Center, 4424 Milan Rd., Suite A, (US 250). Maps, brochures, discount coupons. Worth a visit.
If you are visiting the Sandusky area during the summer months, you will find plenty of fresh veggies, peaches, tomatoes, sweetcorn, grapes are all grown locally and available at the orchards to the west. Cheese Haven is to the west (Catawba Island area)and offers a large selection of cheeses, smoked meats, smoked fish, candy and alcohol beverages.
New Sandusky Fish Co. Sandusky, OH
Sandusky, being on the North Coast of Ohio offers some of the finest fresh water seafood available. The fresh water perch and walleye available in the area are fantastic. Other local favorites include turtle, white bass, pickerel and frog's legs. At the west edge of Sandusky is Toft's Dairy. They have a large ice cream parlor with great milk shakes and sodas. The Mon Ami Winery at Catawba offers a great Sunday Buffet and a wonderful dining room.
- New Sandusky Fish Company, 235 E Shoreline Dr. If you want "fresh" fish, this is the place. Located on the water front downtown. 80% of the building is dedicated to cleaning fish, which are delivered by boat to their dock, adjacent to the store. No inside dining. Picnic tables outside only. They also sell smoked fish-turtle meat-frozen sea food. Average meal $6.
- DeMores, 302 W Perkins Ave. Great Seafood. Also a Port Clinton location.
- Dianna's Deli & Restaurant, 3002 Milan Road, +1 419-625-9100. Great food. Ribs, chicken, pasta. Open 24/7 Meals $6-12.
- Fisherman's Catch, 3407 Milan Rd., +1 419-627-0170. A bit difficult to spot, but worth the effort. Inside dining or carry out. They sell deep fried fish by the pound or piece.
- Tofts Dairy & Ice Cream Parlour, 3717 Venice Rd., . Dairy products since 1900. Located at the west edge of Sandusky. They put the "cream" in ice cream. Open year around, selling numerous dairy products manufactured on site. They also offer a limited variety of soups and sandwiches between 11 A.M. and 5 P.M. on weekdays. If you appreciate great ice cream this will make your day! Best bang for the buck. A small in a cup or a cake cone is $2.40 and bigger than most places' large.
- The Lunch Box, 154 Columbus Ave, 419-626-3825. Located in downtown very near the many boat docks in downtown Sandusky. The finest perch sandwiches and dinners are served with many traditional tasty favorites such as reubens, monte cristos, burgers, and grilled chicken sandwiches. After 11AM ask about the lunch specials that are a great value. Breakfast available all day. Hours are Sunday–Thursday 6:30AM to 3PM with Friday/Saturday hours 6:30AM to 8PM.
- Margaritaville, 212 Fremont Ave (Route 6), +1 419-627-8903, .
- Firelands Winery, 917 Bardshar Rd. (Off US 6) 1+ 419-625-5474 Hours vary.
- Hermes Vineyard, 6413 S. Hayes Ave. (SR 4) 1+ 419-626-8500 Ohio's largest vinifra vineyards. Open year-round.
- Club Xcentricities, 306 W. Water St., +1 419-624-8118. Sandusky's premiere party place. It's a gay establishment where everyone is welcome! Come on down and dance to a live DJ weekends during the winter, and 4 nights a week during the summer. Drink specials daily.
- Louie's: The favorite watering hole of the Cedar Point Staff. It's located just off Cedar Point Drive. On busy nights, patrons are required to show a Cedar Point employee ID.
- Red Gables, Cleveland rd.. A small restaurant, that has fantastic steaks.
Be keenly aware that, during the tourist season (no doubt due to Cedar Point), accomodations can be both overcrowded and very expensive. The main tourist season begins in early June, after most schools have finished for the summer, and doesn't end until late August when schools resume classes.
Lodging adjacent to Cedar Point
- South Shore Inn, 2047 Cleveland Road ~ Sandusky, Ohio 44870, ☎ (800) 860-4436, . Located just three minutes from World Famous Cedar Point, the South Shore Inn has all the amenities to insure an enjoyable vacation or business trip. Family owned and operated, the South Shore Inn offers warm and genuine hospitality, as well as a commitment to excellence and total customer satisfaction.
- Best Western Cedar Point Area, US 6 - 1530 Cleveland Road, +1 419-625-9234 (fax: +1 419-625-9971), .
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Sandusky, 6220 Milan Road, +1 419-621-9500 (fax: +1 419-621-9500), .
- Holiday Inn, 5513 Milan Road, +1 419-626-6671, .
- Holiday Inn Express, 5513 1/2 Milan Road, +1 419-624-0028, .
- Hotel Breakers, One Cedar Point Drive, +1 419-627-2106, . Beautiful turn-of-the-century hotel located at Cedar Point. Offers packages with Cedar Point tickets.
- Battle of the Indoor Water Parks, Sandusky boasts three indoor water parks/resorts that draw families from all over the Great Lakes states:
- Castaway Bay, 2001 Cleveland Rd. (U.S. Rt. 6), +1 419-627-2106, . Caribbean theme with palm trees, huts and inland lagoons, Ten water slides, water coaster, wave pool and toddler’s pool. Also located in the hotel is a day spa. Offers packages with Cedar Point admission tickets.
- Great Wolf Lodge, 4600 Milan Rd. (U.S. Rt. 250), +1 419-609-6000, . 9 waterslides, 5 pools and 2 giant whirlpools, treehouse waterfort, climbing wall.
- Kalahari Resort, 7000 Kalahari Dr. (off U.S. Rt. 250), +1 419-433-7200, . African theme, surfing pool, water slides, water coaster, water raft rides, outdoor pool area, spa for the parents and a lot of other indoor activities.
- Cold Creek Trout Camp, 4711 Venice Road, +1 419-621-7900, . 24 RV/Tent spaces, restrooms showers, boat dockage, boat launch, fishing.
Due to Sandusky's location, it is popular with professionals who enjoy the amenities offered by being on Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie. Those professionals, like doctors, lawyers and such are not lacking in Erie County. Sandusky is home to a well established and growing regional health care complex, offering top quality medical care.
- Lake Erie Circle Tour. Once you've had enough of the amusement parks and fishing venues, just follow the shoreline via the Lake Erie Circle Tour. The drive (or boat ride) takes you through the Working Waterfronts around Buffalo NY, Cleveland OH, Detroit MI, Erie PA, Toledo, OH, and southern Ontario is intermingled with beautiful preservations of flora and fauna as well as the history of North America's first westward expansion, the Old Northwest Territory.
- Leamington, Ontario, Canada. Canada's southernmost city. By ferry.
- North Coast Beaches. Along the southern shore of Lake Erie are a large number of public beaches.
- Lake Erie Islands. Located west of Cleveland, a group of picturesque and festive islands in Lake Erie are accessible via ferry. In addition to several Ohio State Parks located on the islands, there is plenty to do including wineries, restaurants, bars, marinas and beaches.
- Port Clinton is a quaint fishing town on Lake Erie about 20 minutes west of Sandusky. It also provides ferries to the Lake Erie Islands as well as head boats and charters for fishing.
- Catawba Island, just west of Sandusky and accessible by road, offers a number of marinas, fishing charters and other Lake Erie shore activities.
- Marblehead, also to the west. You can see Marblehead Peninsula and the lighthouse from Sandusky or Cedar Point. Be sure you take some time and climb to the top. A Ferry to Kelly's Island leaves from Marblehead.
- Milan, Birthplace of Thomas A. Edison, inventor.
- Sawmill Creek Resort and Conference Center 400 Sawmill Creek Dr. (approx. 3 miles east off off SR 6) +1 419-433-3800
 240 guest rooms/suites, enjoy the 235-acre site, an 18-hole championship golf course, charter fishing from marina on Lake Erie, restaurants, shops, indoor/outdoor pools, exercise room and tennis courts.
- Cleveland is about 1 hour and 13 minutes east on Ohio State Route 2. Home to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
- Toledo is about 1 hour and 9 minutes west on Ohio State Route 2. Check out the Toledo Zoo.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!