- For other places with the same name, see San Pedro (disambiguation).
San Pedro is a part of Los Angeles located in the Harbor Area. It lies immediately east of the Palos Verdes Peninsula in the South Bay area of Los Angeles County.
At the southern end of the Harbor Freeway (CA-110), or take the Vincent Thomas Bridge from Long Beach.
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro), ☎ Toll free ''+1-800'' 266-6883, . Regular $1.50, each leg (transfers within the MTA system are not free); Seniors (62 and older), Medicare, Disabled: $0.55; Two children under age 5 may travel free with each fare-paying adult. Metro Day Pass Regular $5, valid on all MTA Bus and rail lines. Transfers to other systems, $0.30.
- San Pedro Vintage Red Car Line, ☎ ''+1-310'' 732-3473, . F-M: 10AM to 6PM. A 1.5 mile long trolley line serviced by restored and recreated Red Cars, the historic trolley line that covered the Los Angeles region prior to the advent of freeways. Free parking is available at the Downtown Station at 6th Street, Ports O' Call Station at Sampson Way and Marina Station at 22nd Street. $1.00 all-day fare. Fare is transferable for free rides on the San Pedro Electric Trolley.
- American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial, South Harbor Blvd At West 6th Street. An impressive monument to the unsung heroes of WWII, the men of United States Merchant Marine Service. These men took the same risk as U.S. Navy vessels without the benefit of being in an armed and armored ship to provide needed supplies to Allied forces in the Europe and Pacific War theatres. Free.
- Angel's Gate Lighthouse, End of the Los Angeles Harbor breakwater (The closest land viewpoint is from the fishing pier at the end of Oliver Vickery Circle Way). A historic lighthouse that has stood watch over the Port of Los Angeles since 1913.
- Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, 3720 Stephen White Drive, ☎ ''+1 310'' 548-7562 (email@example.com), . Tu-F: 12 noon-5PM, Sa-Su: 10AM-5PM, Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas. A small, but complete aqauarium. Learn about the natural history of the area through live exhibits, beach tours and classes. Free, but suggested donations are: Adults - $5.00, Children and seniors - $1.00. Parking: October through May - $1.00 per hour (max $7.00), June through September - $1.00 per hour (max $9.00).
- Fort MacArthur Museum (Battery Osgood-Farley Historic Site), 3601 S. Gaffey Street (Angeles Gate Park), ☎ ''+1-310'' 548-2631 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: ''+1-310'' 241-0847), . Tu, Th, Sa-Su and Holidays: 12 noon to 5PM.
- Korean Bell of Friendship and Bell Pavilion, Gaffey and 37th Street (Angels Gate Park), . This bell was presented to the people of Los Angeles by the people of the Republic of Korea in 1976. The bell is rung four times each year: the Fourth of July, August 15 (Korean Independence Day), New Year's Eve, and every September to coincide with bell ringings around the country to celebrate Constitutuon week. Free.
- Los Angeles City Fire Department San Pedro Museum 36, 638 Beacon Street, ☎ +1 323 464-2727, . Sa: 10AM-3PM. This museum is located in the old Los Angeles City Fire Department Station 36. It features historical fire apparatus and account of some of the most historical fires in the Harbor area of Los Angeles with a section dedicated to marine firefighting. Free, donations suggested.
- Los Angeles Maritime Museum, 600 Sampson Way (Berth 84, Foot of 6th Street), ☎ ''+1 310'' 548-7618 (fax: ''+1 310'' 832-6537), . Tu-Sa: 10AM-5PM, Su: 12 noon-5PM. This museum of maritime history, housed in the former San Pedro Ferry Terminal building, includes 700 ship models and other nautical paraphernalia. Adults: $3.00, Youth and Senior Citizens: $1.00, Children: Free..
- Marine Mammal Care Center, 3601 S. Gaffey Street (Angels Gate Park), ☎ ''+1 310'' 548-5677 (email@example.com, fax: ''+1 310'' 548-6394), . Daylight hours. Watch while volunteers tend to recuperating seals, sea lions and other animals. Free.
- Muller House Museum, 1542 South Beacon St., . 1 PM - 4 PM, first three Sundays of the month. A beautifully restored historic home, the Muller House has tours of the interior of the house three times a month. The Colonial Revival house, built in 1899, is furnished with examples of Arts and Crafts furnishings and hosts rotating exhibits. Tours are also available by appointment. There is an onsite gift shop. Free, but donations appreciated.
- Point Fermin Lighthouse and Park, 807 Paseo Del Mar, ☎ ''+1 310'' 241-0684, . Tu-Su 1PM-4PM. This lighthouse, built in 1874, can be seen seven days a week from the park surrounding it. Tours of the interior are given every hour during operating hours. No longer in active use, the lighthouse has a fascinating history, including usage as a military lookout post during WWII. The highlight of the tour is a climb to the lighthouse tower. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult and children less than 40 inches in height may not be admitted to the tower. Free; donations are requested.
- S.S. Lane Victory, Berth 46 (Take the Harbor Blvd. exit from either the 110 or 47 and continue straight down Harbor Blvd to the end of Miner St.), ☎ ''+1 310'' 519-9545 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: ''+1 310'' 519-0265), . Daily: 9AM-3PM. The S.S Lane Victory is a WWII era Merchant Marine vessel that carried cargo for the war effort. The ship is open to explore and contains two museums, one in each of its cargo holds. During the summer, the ship takes cruises around Catalina Island. Actors perform during the cruise, which often includes an "attack" by enemy aircraft. $5.
- Angels Gate Cultural Center, 3601 South Gaffey Street, ☎ ''+1 310'' 519-0936 (email@example.com, fax: ''+1 310'' 519-8698), . See website for event calendar. The Cultural Center offers a year-round schedule of gallery exhibitions, cultural events, and classes. It also provides work-studio space for 52 artists and musicians.
- Fiesta Harbor Cruise, Berth 79, ☎ ''+1 310'' 831-1906 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Call for tour dates and hours. Boat tours of the Port of Los Angeles. Highlights of the tour include the Angels Gate Lighthouse, the Vincent Thomas Bridge, the L.A. Harbor Clock Tower, and the S.S. Lane Victory, a WWII era Merchant Marine vessel. Adults: 10.00, Seniors: 8.00, Children 11 and under (3 per adult): Free. Call for group rates.
- Grunion run, 3720 Stephen White Drive, ☎ ''+1 310'' 548-7562 (email@example.com), . See website for predicted run times. In the months of March-June, a small, silvery fish called a grunion comes up on the shore to spawn in the late night hours. In March and June, grunion may be taken by hand (a California fishing license, which must be displayed, is required unless you are under 16 years of age). The Cabrillo Marine Aquarium offers a series of "Meet the Grunion" presentations. Warm clothing and a flashlight are recommended. Free to see the run on the beach. Carbillo program: Adults - $5.00, Seniors, students and children - $1.00.
- San Pedro Skatepark, Under the 110 freeway at Channel Street, . What started out as a renegade skate park is now an officially sanctioned, 501(c)3 organzation run skatepark with a round bowl, square bowl, and a vertical wall known as the “gnarwhal”.
- Knoll Hill Dog Park, 200-349 Knoll Drive, ☎ ''+1 310'' 514-0338, . Daylight hours. Travelling with Rover? Let him run free in this off-leash park overlooking the Harbor. Free.
- Farmer’s Market, Old Town near the intersection of Mesa & 7th, ☎ ''+1 562'' 449-9299, . F: 9AM-2PM. Farm fresh produce, baked goods, lunches, crafts, and plants.
- Ports O' Call Village, 1100 Nagoya Way, . Daily from 11 AM. Built in the style of a New England seaside village. Located on the harbor, its cobblestone streets are lined with specialty gift shops and restaurants. Free admission and parking.
- Buono's Pizzeria, 1432 S. Gaffey Street, ☎ ''+1 310'' 547-0655, . Italian/Catering $7.00-$22.00.
- Busy Bee Market, 2413 S Walker Avenue, ☎ ''+1 310'' 832-8660. This has got to be the best sandwich deli in L.A. The sandwiches are relatively inexpensive (±$7.25 a sandwich) with generous portions of meat, served fast but really long lines during the lunch hour. A little out of the way, but if you find yourself down south... Around $7.25.
- Pacific Diner, 3821 S Pacific Avenue, ☎ ''+1 310'' 831-5334.
- Papadakis Taverna, 301 W 6th Street, ☎ ''+1 310'' 548-1186, . Daily for dinner at 5PM. Fine Greek dining #14.00-$70.00.
- Rex's Cafe, 2136 S. Pacific Avenue, ☎ ''+1 310'' 519-7190. American. Most items under $10.00.
- Slavko's Harbor Poultry, 1224 S Pacific Avenue, ☎ ''+1 310'' 832-5723. Chicken/Take-Out. Friendly service from third generation San Pedrans. Try the deep fried nuggets and a bottle of Croatian beer. Most items under $5.00.
- Think Bistro, 1420 W 25th Street, ☎ ''+1 310'' 519-7190. Pasta/Seafood $10.00-$20.00.
- The Corner Store, 1118 W 37th Street, ☎ ''+1 310'' 832-2424. Charming coffee shop, market and community hang out. Under $10.
- The Lighthouse, 508 W. 39th Street, ☎ ''+1 310'' 548-3354. American Under $10.
- Neil's Pasta and Seafood Grill, 383 W. 5th St, ☎ 310-548-3495, . Neopolitan and Southern Italian. A cozy, romantic atmosphere with excellent service and some of the best Italian food in the South Bay.
- Best Western Sunrise Hotel - Ports O'Call, 525 S Harbor Boulevard, ☎ ''+1 310'' 548-1080. checkin: 3PM; checkout: 12 noon.
- Doubletree Hotel (formerly known as Marina Hotel), 2800 Via Cabrillo Marina, ☎ ''+1 310'' 514-3344, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 12 noon. The Doubletree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro - Port of Los Angeles is an ideal destination among San Pedro and Long Beach area hotels for Southern California vacations.
- Sheraton - Los Angeles Harbor, 601 S. Palos Verdes Street, ☎ ''+1 310'' 519-8200.
- Hl Hostel - South Bay, 3601 South Gaffey St, ☎ ''+1 310'' 831-8109 (SouthBay@hiusa.org, fax: ""+1), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11 am. $25.
- Vagabond Inn San Pedro, 215 S. Gaffey St, San Pedro, CA 90731, ☎ 310-831-8911, . checkin: 3:00pm; checkout: 12:00pm. Vagabond Inn San Pedro offers free drop-offs to San Pedro and Long Beach Ports, complimentary continental breakfast, cable TV, swimming pool, free WiFi, and other services.
WikiPedia:San Pedro, Los Angeles, California