San Marcos is a quiet town on Lake Atitlán in Guatemala.
The town is popular with New Age types, and has several meditation, yoga, and massage centers.
Take a shuttle boat from the public dock at Panajachel. The trip takes about 45 minutes.
The most striking feature of this town is that it has practically no roads -- everything is reached by thin foot paths through trees and between buildings. Handmade signs direct you to the most common destinations at any intersection.
- Rock Jumping - There are a series of rocks that can be accessed by foot via the shore of the lake. From there, its a long way down to the water. What fun! Swiping of wallets, cameras, and pants have been known to occur, so come with minimal items.
- Yoga - Many places run early morning yoga programs, that are of minimal cost or free. Hatha dominates here.
- Moonfish- Excellent mostly vegi fare for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Chai tea, the best, house-roasted coffee in the world, brownies made with their own cacao, grilled tofu sandwiches, pizzas, salads from their garden, and more.
- Aacalaax- hotel has an excelent tappas menu. Eat dinner in candlelight on a balcony, overlooking the garden and the lake.
- Aacalaax- get off at the dock, head up the paved path and follow signs to your left. At this little ecolodge each room is unique, built into the steep hillside, and decorated with recycled glass and murals. excellent restaurant for breakfast and dinner, too! <a href ="http://www.aaculaax.com">Aaculaax</a>
- Hotel The Retreat, ☎ +502 5857-6397, . Bed and breakfast in individual thatched huts, and a spiritual retreat centre. Set on its own mountain overlooking Lake Atitlan. Five minute walk to the village. $150/day including food.