| || |
Take a shuttle boat from the public dock at [[Panajachel]]
. The trip takes about 45 minutes. |+|
Take a shuttle boat from the public dock at [[Panajachel]] 45 minutes.
| || |
Revision as of 23:01, 25 December 2008
San Marcos is a quiet town on Lake Atitlán in Guatemala.
The town is popular with New Age types, and has several meditation, yoga, and massage centers.
Take a shuttle boat from the public dock at Panajachel (Q20, 45 minutes).
The most striking feature of this town is that it has practically no roads -- everything is reached by thin foot paths through trees and between buildings. Handmade signs direct you to the most common destinations at any intersection.
- Rock Jumping - There are a series of rocks that can be accessed by foot via the shore of the lake. From there, its a long way down to the water. What fun! Swiping of wallets, cameras, and pants have been known to occur, so come with minimal items.
- Yoga - Many places run early morning yoga programs, that are of minimal cost or free. Hatha dominates here.
- Akab'al Spanish School, ☎ + 502-41 44 06 12 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Study in a relaxed, peaceful atmosphere surrounded by nature. individual training $4-$5/hr for 10-30 hrs/week. Add $50/week for homestay.
- Moonfish- Excellent mostly vegi fare for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Chai tea, the best, house-roasted coffee in the world, brownies made with their own cacao, grilled tofu sandwiches, pizzas, salads from their garden, and more.
- Aacalaax- hotel has an excellent tappas menu. Eat dinner in candlelight on a balcony, overlooking the garden and the lake.
- Los Pyramides- The retreat has a great little veggie restaurant open to non-guests.
- Hotel Aaculaax, (Get off at the dock, head up the paved path and follow signs to your left), . At this little ecolodge each room is unique, built into the steep hillside, and decorated with recycled glass and murals. Excellent restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Rooms $42, suites $82.
- Hotel The Retreat, ☎ +502 5857-6397, . Bed and breakfast in individual thatched huts, and a spiritual retreat centre. Set on its own mountain overlooking Lake Atitlan. Five minute walk to the village. $150/day including food.