Salzkammergut is in Upper Austria, Salzburg and Styria.
The styrian part is also called Ausseerland.
The Salzkammergut is one of the most beautiful holiday regions in Austria, with its name coming from its history. As the premier spot for Salt ("Salz") Mining. As salt was and is important it was under direct control by the Emperors in Vienna - that's where the name "Kammer" came from.
- Schloss Ort - The TV series "Schlosshotel Orth" is playing there.
- Skiing on the extensive Dachstein West Ski Region - 140km of Intermediate Piste + the Krippenstein Freeride Arena, for those looking for an exilhorating off-piste experience 
- Swimming in the lakes
- Mountain Hiking
- Walking on the Gmunder Promenade
- Visit Hallstatt a UNESCO World Heritage site, a stunningly beautiful village.
- The Dachstein Ice Caves at Obertraun, are well worth a visit.
- Mountain Bike, there are many trails for all levels of biker with stunning scenery around every corner.
- The Krippenstein is a stunning paragliding site, rising 1500m from the valley floor.
- Steckerlfisch - fish on a stick grilled on open fire