Salzkammergut is in Upper Austria, Salzburg and Styria.
The styrian part is also called Ausseerland.
The Salzkammergut is one of the most beautiful holiday regions in Austria. The name is coming from it's history. As the premier spot for Salt("Salz") Mining. As Salt is and was important it was directly controlled by the Emperors in Vienna - that's where the name "Kammer" came from.
Cities a little bit outside of the Salzkammergut but still part of it (According to their Marketing)
- Schafberg: It's possible to get by train on the top of the Schafberg. visit the 1st. Mountain Top Restaurant of the alps
- Traunstein: Near Gmunden, only by foot within 4 hours
- Feuerkogel: A cableway is going to the top from Ebensee. - Scenery and cable car to be seen in "Agenten sterben Einsam" (Cilnt Eastwood)
- Dachstein: Highest mountain in the Area - Little Glacier.
The TV series "Schlosshotel Orth" is playing there.
- Swimming in the lakes
- Mountain Hiking
- Walking on the Gmunder Promenade
- Steckerlfisch - fish on a stick grilled on open fire