This article is a travel topic
This page is intended for the Salsa dance lovers who are travelling around Latin America. It is surprising, but usually it is quite difficult to find good salsa clubs while travelling in Latin America. In this guide you can find information about Salsa Clubs around Latin America.
This information was gathered through travelling, if you have any updates about it, or you can introduce some new clubs around latin america please do. Unless otherwise stated, this information is valid for the year of 2006.
- Old City - Salsa Music, great cuban style dancers.
Only on Fridays 10PM-1AM, later the music is changed to mixed music. Consumable cover is charged.
- Azúcar Abasto - Avda. Corrientes 3330 y Agüero - Has a great reputation.
- La Salsera - Yatay 961, Villa Crespo (a short taxi ride from azúcar abasto). Too crowded place. all styles of salsa. all ages.
- Maluco Beleza - Brazilian Music - Samba & AXE - great place for Brasilian music lovers
Located in Sarmiento 1728 (a short taxi ride from 9 de julio & Av. de mayo)
Maluco Beleza website
- A lo Cubano - Live Salsa Music, mostly Cuban style dancers, but some dance LA style . Crappy Mojito...
Av. Arce, in front of Hotel Raddison
Live music & dancing only on Thursday nights.
- Mongo´s - Salsa Music, very crowded. The "official" gringo pub. Only on Tuesday nights. other nights is mixed music.
- Torino Hotel - Salsa Music, Mixed, free style, Cuban style, and some dance LA style . big dance floor. nice place
Only on Friday nights at the end of each month (every 4 weeks).
Salvador da Bahia
- Sankofa African Bar e Restarante - Live Salsa Music Tuesday nights.
Pelourinho neighbourhood, no 7 Rua Frei Vicente (next to Sorriso da Dadá restaurant)
Open 6 days of the week except mondays with live samba, salsa, forro etc. DJ plays music of the african diaspora from salsa, zouk, samba, reggae, congolese rumba, axe, soul, funk, coupe decaler, mbalax, etc. The ambiance here is wonderful. The band is live playing "latin" salsa while the DJ plays some excellent salsa cubana - charanga habanera, los van van, manolito etc.
Generally you can find lots and lots of salsa music in Colombia. Most of the people would know how to dance and move with the rhythm. However there are two problems for the advanced salsa dancer. First is that they usually don't do any turns, most Colombian girls get confused by Cross-Body lead ("Dile-que-no"). Second, usually people get to the clubs by pairs and sit around tables.
Lots & lots of places. Most of them as I described above. They say juanchito neighbourhood has good clubs.
- Blues Brothers - Live Salsa every thursday night. Located close to Avenida 5 Norte & Calle 26
- Tin-Tin-De located in Calle 5 & Carrera 38. Plays good music.
- Zaperoco - Quite crowded (but not too crowded), good music. mostly pairs. Located close to Avenida 5 Norte & Calle 14
- Cafe Havana - Live salsa on Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Open from Tuesday thru Sunday. Opened in 2006. Address: Getsemani, corner of Calle del Guerrero and Calle de la Media Luna, Phone: (5) 664-9454, cel 310 610 2324 Website: www.cafehavanacartagena.com
- Donde Fidel - a salsa pub. Seating inside on two floors, and outside in the plaza. The owner´s name is Fidel. Been in existence for over 20 years. (as of 2007). Large variety of old salsa. In old city of Cartagena, close to the clock tower (torre del reloj), in the plaza where the candy sellers are under the arches, Address: Centro Portal de Los Dulces #32-09, Phone: (5) 664 3127 or cell 300 808 6849
- Quiebra Canto - a salsa pub. Located near the convention center in the old city of Cartagena. Address: Getsemaní Carrera 8B Nº 25 - 119, Phone: (5) 664 1372 - Note that if you have a table there is a minimum liquor consumption charge of 45000 pesos (as of November 2007)
- El Bodegon - A little salsa pub. Located in Parque Poblado.
Lots of clubs around Carrera 70. (near Estadio Metro Station)
- Salsa Romantica - Great Place, only soft romantic salsa. Located in Carrera 70, in front of the Estadio Metro Station.
In fact, Colombia has the best salsa dancers in the world.
- Casa de la Musica (valid for 2008) in Miramar neighbourhood (there is another one in another neighbourhood, but go to this one). It is important to get there by 4pm and not to the night shows which are filled with hookers. I consider this to the best club i ever been in! (just for the noon shows)
Lots of places around the main plaza. All of this places teach salsa for free every night. usually after 12AM the music is changed for mixed music. Cusco is a great place to start learing salsa. but the experienced dancer would proabably satisfy with dancing only with the instructors.
- Mama America - 10PM to 12AM, teaches Cuban style, and sometimes LA style (depend on the teacher)
- Mystery - 9:30PM - 11:30PM
- Up Town - teaches LA style and Cuban style (depend on the teacher)
- Son de Cuba - Calle de las Pizzas, San Ramón 277, Miraflores.