Sakskøbing is a small town on Lolland.
Sakskøbing is a town of approximately 5,000 inhabitants. Being a town with no big industries or services it offers a glimpse of very authentic Danish rural life.
Train from Nykøbing Falster (terminating in Nakskov) every half-hour in daytime, and every hour from around 5AM-11:30PM. Bus 800 goes directly from Odense.
Not much many attractions per se, but a few places might interesting for foreigners.
- The church, (adjacent to the town square). Standard Danish medieval style, but still nice. edit
- Oreby Habour (Oreby Havn), (a few kilometers north of town). Nice and quiet little harbour with nice views over the fjord, forests and a baroque mansion. edit
- Krenkerup Gods, (5 km). Probably the nicest place in the area. Nice old mansion, with a lovely (planted) forest. Ruins of a summer-pavillion can be found here. edit
- The Watertower (Vandtårnet). Has a face painted on (hence the town's slogan 'the city that smiles'). At night the face lights up in a rather demonic way. edit
- Hulyas Pizzaria. Been in the town for over 10 years, this is by far the most popular place for the locals to eat out. Decent pizzas and other menu items ranging from kebabs to t-bone steaks. edit
There are trains to the local capital, Nykøbing Falster, so frequently this would be the place to go for drinks and nightlife.
- Goose Pub. The local watering hole. Abandon all hope ye who enter here. Dark and smoky this caters to the very local-patriotic crowd, and it cannot be recommended to go here (especially on weekends) without a local contact that can vouch for you. Fights are very common, so keep a low profile if you go here. edit
- Hotel Saxkjoebing, . Offers rooms at low rates, especially off season, maintains a high standard for such a small town. Also has a restaurant owned by Claus Meyer (of NOMA fame), serves your standard Danish gourmet fair, funny note is that this hotel seems cursed, as every one in the past many years have gone bankrupt. edit
- Danhostel Sakskoebing. Cheap dorm rooms, there is a minigolf course on the premises. edit
- Sakskoebing Camping. edit