Safranbolu is in Western Black Sea Region, Turkey, though located 50 km inland on the mountains.
Buses from Istanbul take about 6 hours and cost 30-35 TL. Buses from Ankara take around 3 hours and cost 15-20 TL. If you want to go by car from Ankara, it is 220 kms.
The nearest train station is in Karabük, 10-15 km away. There are daily trains from Zonguldak and Ankara to Karabuk, which is too slow compared to the buses.
Overlooking the Çarşı (Market) Section of Safranbolu
Dolmuses regularly drive the 2 km between the old town (Çarşı) and the new town center, which is where buses are likely to let you off / pick you up. Once in the old town, everything is reachable by foot. Additionally, some intercity buses might drop you off in the nearby steel down of Karabük. From there you'll have to find a dolmus into Safranbolu.
Safranbolu is famous for its Ottoman houses both in Çarşı (old town) and the neighbourhood of Bağlar (literally "orchards"), and qualifies as a UNESCO World Heritage sight.
Mencilis (Bulak) Cave which is 3 km from city center, worth to see since it is the 4th biggest cave in Turkey.
Take a look (and a tea?) inside the Cinci Hanı, a massive hotel in the center of the old town. Wandering around the city you will take in much, but to see inside the houses, head to one of the historic homes open to the public. Kaymakamlar Müze Evi is located just above Bastoncu Pansiyon, to the south-east of Cinci Hanı. Keep walking up the hill, and take in some beautiful views at Hıdırlık Tepesi.
- Incekaya Su Kemeri. An old aqueduct north of Safranbolu past the village of Incekaya. Ask around to get there. There are also some organized tours that go there in the morning.
Traditional table clothes and souvenirs from Arasta Bazaar.
- Safrantat. Try their saffron flavored lokum (Turkish delight) in their main factory in Kıranköy, Safranbolu.
- Adanadan Dürümce, Kaya Erdem Cad. 40. Absolutely the best food in Safranbolu, and worth the trip up to the "new town" if you're staying in the old town. Excellent kebabs and mantar, delicious fresh ayran, menengic coffee (from a plant related to pistachio) from the south-east of Turkey and more. If you catch a dolmus up the hill to the new part of town, get off at the first stop and the restaurant is just ahead on the right-hand side.
- Baglar Saray Otel Has a capacity of 42 rooms and 120 beds. 39 of the rooms have standard quality and 3 of them is suite. Huge bathrooms with full time hot water and a hair drier, a minibar, a phone that is open to the abroad and a television. Safranbolu Baglar Saray Otel shows historical marks and at the same time and it has an unlimited modern service understanding.
- Bastoncu Pansiyon & Kafeterya, ☎ +90 370 712-34-11 (). One of the cheaper options in Safranbolu. It is clean and homely, with excellent meals. The owner speaks Japanese and English, and can help you plan your onward trip. Call them for a free pickup from the bus station. 25 TL per person for dormitory, rooms are 50 TL without bathroom, 90 TL with. ().
- Safir Konak Safranbolu, Baglarbasi Mahallesi, Koyici Meydani Arslanlar Cd., No. 2, Baglar, ☎ +90 370 712-70-60, . Nine rooms, all of which have DSL internet connection, cable TV, telephone, and complimentary breakfast. From € 65.
- Rasitler Bag Evi Safranbolu, Baglarbasi Mahallesi, Degirmenbasi Sokak No. 65, Baglar, ☎ +90 370 725 13 45, . A 280 years old Ottoman Mansion in the orchards with a huge garden and five authentically decorated rooms, all of which have central heating,Wi-Fi internet connection, bathroom and hair drier. Lastly renovated in 2012. Price includes traditional breakfast including a variety of home made jams, pastries,organic fruits and vegetables from the Mansion's garden. Lunch and dinner can be prepared upon request. Owner speaks English. They also offer a free shuttle service from the Safranbolu Bus Terminal. From € 60 for two people.
- Gulevi Safranbolu, Hukumet Sokak 46 (in the old quarter), ☎ +90 370 725-46-45, . checkin: 1PM; checkout: noon. Housed in three adjacent mansions all dating back to 18th century. DBL BB incl. VAT €90-200. (41˚ 14' 44 N,32˚ 41' 30 E)