Rutland is a city of about 18,000 people in Vermont. It is the second largest city in the state. It is a good starting point for exploring the Green Mountains, and is very close to several major ski areas. The town has over one hundred houses on the National Register of Historic Places.
Route 4 runs East-West through town and Route 7 runs North-South. Business Route 4 runs along the southern edge of the downtown. Generally, it is a 4 hour drive from New York City, a 3 hour drive from Boston and a 4 hour drive from Montreal.
There is a Greyhound bus terminal at 102 West St, downtown.
The Amtrak station is at 25 Evelyn Place, also downtown, and is served by the Ethan Allen Express, a daily service to and from New York City.
Cape Air runs a few flights daily from Boston Logan to Rutland Southern Vermont Regional Airport (RUT) near Rutland. This is a very small airport somewhat distant from town, so be sure to arrange transportation ahead of time.
Downtown Rutland is easily walkable, but to go anywhere else you'll either need a car or take public transit. There is a local bus service called The Bus. The Bus also runs to Killington for $2.
- Rutland Falls is a nice waterfall just west of town on Otter Creek. It is crossed by a gargantuan railroad bridge and littered with huge slabs of authentic Vermont marble. It is accessible from Old Falls Rd, opposite the junction between Rt 3 and Business Rt 4.
- The Vermont State Fair is held at the racetrack on South Main Street every September.
- Fatman(Chris) YouTube phenomenon lives in Rutland an can often be seen splurging in one of the local fast food outlets, most usually McDonalds but can occasionally be seen in KFC.
- Pico Mountain, Phone: +1 802 422-3261, .
- Hemingway's Restaurant is an excellent four-star restaurant just east of the Killington base road turnoff on Rt 4. Try the chocolate cake.
- Little Harry's, 121 West Street (off route 7). An unexpected gem; a warm and friendly restaurant with an imaginative menu.
- Hampton Inn, Main Stree.
- Best Western, #1 Route 4 East, (866) 229-6188, .
- Rodeway Inn Rutland, 138 North Main St,802-775-2575,. Comfortable, moderately priced accommodations, pet friendly lodging options, complimentary breakfast, discount vacation packages.
- Holiday Inn Springfield, 818 Charlestown Road, ☎ +1 (866) 230-7221 (email@example.com, fax: "(802)).
- Ramada Limited of Rutland, 253 South Main Street, Rt. 4 & Rt. 7, .
- The Rutland Herald,  is the major local paper. It won a Pulitzer Prize in 2001.
- Nearby Proctor, an old marble cutting town, is home to the Vermont Marble Exhibit. The town is pretty and also a little quirky because just about everything is made out of marble. Even the sidewalks.
- Killington, the largest ski resort in the Northeast, is only a 20 minute drive to the east. They offer skiing in the winter and various recreational activities (mountain biking, hiking) in the other months of the year.