Rutherford is a small township in the Napa Valley region of California located between St. Helena and Oakville, along Hwy 29. This area of the valley was originally owned by General Vallejo and through a serious of gift become the property of Thomas and Elizabeth Rutherford as a wedding present 1964. The Rutherfords developed a winery, which grew to be one of the best wineries of the area. Now the town is home to high quality wineries and restaurants, a beautiful location to enjoy the wine country.
- San Francisco International Airport, 650-821-8211, .
- Napa County Airport, 2030 Airport Road, Phone: +1 707 253-4300, . No scheduled service. Useful for private planes.
From San Francisco:
- Highway 101 North over the Golden Gate Bridge, to Highway 37;
- Highway 37 East towards Vallejo/Napa, to Highway 121;
- Highway 121 North towards Napa to Highway 29 North to Rutherford.
- Beaulieu Vineyard, 1960 South St. Helena Hwy., Phone: +1 707 967-5200, . Daily 10AM-5PM.
- Grgich Hills Cellar, 1829 St. Helena Hwy., Toll free: +1 800-532-3057, Phone: +1 707 963-2784, . Daily 9:30AM-4:30PM.
- St. Helena Olive Oil Company, 8576 Highway 29 (in Rutherford), Toll free: 800-939-9880, . Daily 10AM-5PM. Gourmet oils, but lots and lots of other things.
- Rutherford Grill, 1180 Rutherford Road, Phone: +1 707 963-1792. Su-Th 11:30AM-9PM, F, Sa 11:30AM-10PM. Known for its BBQ ribs and cornbread. $10-$26.
- Auberge du Soleil, 180 Rutherford Hill Road, Phone: +1 707 967-3111, . Breakfast, lunch, dinner daily. $$$$
- La Toque, 1140 Rutherford Cross Road, Phone: +1 707 963-9770, . W-Su dinner seatings 5:30-6:30; 8:30-9:30. Make reservations well in advance. For weekends at least 6 weeks ahead. $98 prix fixe.
If you are looking for a bar or club head towards St. Helena.
- Auberge Du Soleil Resort, 180 Rutherford Hill Road, Phone +1 707 963-1211, Fax: +1 707 963-8764, . Excellent and pricey. Offers "private maisons".
- Rancho Caymus, 1140 Rutherford Road Rutherford, CA 94573
Toll free: +1 800-845-1777, Phone: +1 707 963-1777, . Top notch, expensive.