'''Royal Oak''' is a suburb of [[Detroit]] in [[Oakland County]], [[Michigan]] known for its trendy downtown shopping area and bars.
2 miles north of Royal Oak is [[Ferndale (Michigan)|Ferndale]], a place very similar to Royal Oak, known for its large lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender population. North of Royal Oak is Birmingham, an opulent area known for its upscale boutiques. |+|
'''Royal Oak''' is a suburb of [[Detroit]] in [[Oakland County]], [[Michigan]] known for its trendy downtown shopping area and bars. of Royal Oak is [[Ferndale (Michigan)|Ferndale]], a place very similar to Royal Oak, known for its large lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender population. North of Royal Oak is Birmingham, an opulent area known for its upscale boutiques.
| || |
Revision as of 20:36, 7 August 2008
Royal Oak is a suburb of Detroit in Oakland County, Michigan known for its trendy downtown shopping area and bars. 1 mile South of Royal Oak is Ferndale, a place very similar to Royal Oak, known for its large lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender population. North of Royal Oak is Birmingham, an opulent area known for its upscale boutiques.
I-75 is located directly east of Royal Oak, and runs north-south. I-696 is located directly south or Royal Oak, and runs east-west. Bordering the left-hand side of Royal Oak is Woodward Avenue, which runs northwest-southeast, and will take you southbound directly into Detroit.
- Amtrak . Train service to and from Chicago on the "Wolverine" route (5-6 hours, $25-$50), with many connections in Chicago. Deeply discounted tickets at short notice are often available at Amtrak's Weekly Specials page .
Royal Oak is a very walkable city, the downtown area is a mile long, Main Street and Washington Street are the definite downtown areas to walk around.
- Bike Nights. During Wednesdays you can see cruiser motorcycles and on Thursdays you can see sports bikes
- Detroit Zoo, 8450 W 10 Mile Rd, ☎ +1 248 398-0900, . Recognized as one of the top zoos in the nation, ride the train, walk through arctic ring of wildlife. This is a "must see."
- Affirmations, 290 W 9 Mile Rd, Ferndale, ☎ +1 1 800 398-4297, . M-Th 9:00AM-9:00PM, F-Sa 9:00AM-Midnight. Lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender community center.
- Brew and View at the Magic Bag, (Just north of 9 Mile Road, on the Northeast side of Woodward Ave), ☎ +1 248 544-3030 (email@example.com), . W-Th 9:30 PM. First-run movies are shown. 21+ 2.00.
- Uptown Birmingham 8, ☎ +1 248 644-3456, . Movie Theatre
- Main Art Theatre, 118 North Main St, ☎ +1 248 263-2111, . Nice and clean Independent film theater; they also have special midnight movie nights on the weekends.
- Motor City Pride, . Gay pride festival that takes place along 9 mile in Ferndale.
- Royal Oak Music Theatre, 318 W. Fourth Street, ☎ +1 248 399-2980, .
- Uptown Palladium 12, 250 N. Old Woodward Avenue, Birmingham, ☎ +1 248 723-6240, . Movie Theatre
Royal Oak has 2 Disc Golf courses, it is an inexpensive game to get into; there are liquor stores located directly across from the parks that sell individual discs ranging from $9-$18.
- Starr Jaycee Park, 1101 W. 13 Mile (Between Crooks & Main St.), . 6:00 AM - 9:00 PM. 18 hole course, it is really just a 9 hole course with tees doubled up. Free.
- Wagner Park, 1101 W. 13 Mile (Detroit between Rochester & Main, North of 12 Mile), . 6:00 AM - 9:00 PM. 9 hole course. Free.
- American Pop, 175 W 9 Mile Rd, Ferndale, ☎ +1 248 837-2127. Tu-Sa 11AM-8PM, Su 11AM-6PM. Reasonably priced nostalgia & kitschy collectible shop.
- Antiques at the Royal Oak Farmers Market, 316 East 11 Mile Rd, ☎ +1 248-246-3276 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Sundays 8AM-3PM. Come here on Sundays to shop for Antiques and Collectibles, baked goods and coffee are also sold here. There is also a tiny cafeteria in the corner that sells inexpensive breakfast and lunch.
- BDT Pipe & Tobacco, 21640 John R Rd, Hazel Park (From Ferndale: Head east on 9 Mile Rd, turn right at S Chrysler Dr/I-75 Service Drive, then turn right on to John R Rd), ☎ +1 248 542-6110. M-F 9AM-9PM, Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 11AM-7PM. The preeminent head shop of the Detroit metropolitan area.
- Cloverleaf Fine Wine, 711 S Main St (Located directly across from Oakland Community College near Lincoln & Main St), ☎ +1 248 357-0400 (email@example.com), . M-Th 10 AM to 8 PM, F & Sa 10 AM to 9 PM, Su Noon to 5 PM. Obscure fine wines and craft beer, competitive prices. All craft brews are sold as singles with no markup on them.
- Holiday Market, 1203 S. Main St (3 blocks North of 10 Mile Rd.(Exit 16 off I-696)), ☎ +1 248 541-1414 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 248 541-5829), . M-Sa 8AM-9PM Su 9AM-7PM. Upscale grocer, large craft beer & wine selection.
- Incognito, 323 South Main Street, . Clothing, shoes, sunglasses and accessories for men and women.
- Lost and Found, 208 W. 11 Mile Rd, ☎ +1 248 548-6154. Vintage clothing store $25-$50.
- Noir Leather, 124 W. Fourth St, ☎ +1 248 541-3979 (email@example.com), . M-Th 11AM-9PM; F-Sa 11 AM-10PM; Su 12PM-7PM. Fetish fashion boutique, this is a "must see".
- Nutri Foods, 120 S Main St, ☎ +1 248 541-6820. Health Food Store
- Pitaya, 211 S. Main Street, ☎ +1 248 545-6666. Mo-We 11am - 10pm Th - Sa 11am - 11pm Su: 11am - 8pm. Chain clothing boutique
- Royal Oak Garage Sale. City-wide Garage Sale, July 19th-20th
- Salvation Army, 114 E 4th St, ☎ +1 248 542-6661. Thrift store, not as large of a selection as other ones in the area. $.
While a lot of fast food restaurants, Coney Islands and chains such as Noodles & Company and Jimmy John's can be found in Royal Oak, as a visitor you shouldn't bother wasting your time eating in those establishments.
- 2nd Street Sub Shop, 108 W 2nd St, Royal Oak, ☎ +1 248 543-7474. M-F 10:30AM-7PM, Sa 11AM-3PM, Su noon-4PM. Large Delicious Submarine Sandwiches; don't waste your time eating Subway or Jimmy John's fare; this is the real deal.
- Beirut Palace, 105 S. Main St (Corner of 11 Mile and Main St near the Main Art Theatre), ☎ +1 248 399-4600. M-F 10:30AM-midnight, Sa-Su 10:30AM-2AM. Family-owned Mediterranean restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating available. Those inclined can order a hookah and partake in smoking shisha with friends.
- Comet Burger, 207 S Main St, ☎ +1 248 414-4567. Su-W 11AM-midnight; Th-Sa 11AM-3AM. '50s style restaurant, Sliders & Milkshakes, malt shakes, ice-cream. Known more for its pink-vinyl decor than its food. A good place to get a late night bite to eat if you can handle the crowds. $5 to $10.
- Inn Season Cafe, 500 E. Fourth St, Royal Oak, ☎ +1 248 547-7916. Tu-Th 11:30AM-9PM, Fr 11:30AM-9:30PM, Sa 12PM-9:30PM, Su 11AM-3PM. Vegetarian restaurant open since 1981, features assorted veggie & vegan friendly cuisine such as Mexican dishes and stir fries. 7-10 per entree.
- Loui's Pizza, 23141 Dequindre Rd, Hazel Park (Head east on E 9 Mile Rd, Turn left at Dequindre Rd.), ☎ +1 248 547-1711. W-Th 11AM-9PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM, Sun Noon-9PM. Tasty deep-dish pizza, A local favorite. Also has a bar. Entrees: $6.50-$18.75.
- Noble Fish, 45 E 14 Mile Rd, Clawson, ☎ +1 248 585-2314. Tu-F 11AM-2:30PM, 4:30PM-7PM, Sa 11AM-2:30PM, 3:30PM-7PM, Su 11:30AM-2:30PM, 3:30PM-6:30PM. Little Sushi bar in the back of a Japanese Grocer. Noble Fish supplies all the local Sushi restaurants in the area. Limited seating. Dine-in or carry-out. Inexpensive.
- Peking House, 215 S Washington Ave, ☎ +1 248 545-2700. M-Th 11AM-10PM, F 11AM-Midnight, Su 12PM-10PM. Chinese cuisine
- Toast, 23144 Woodward Ave, Ferndale, ☎ +1 248 398-0444 (fax: +1 248 398-0884), . Mo-F 7AM-3PM, Sa-Su 8AM-3PM. Popular spot serves breakfast and lunch. $9-$11.
- The Fly Trap, 22950 Woodward Ave, Ferndale, ☎ +1 248 399-5150, . M Closed, Tu-F 8AM-9PM, Sa-Su 8AM-5PM. Described as a "Finer Diner" Lots of vegetarian options. Was featured on the Food Network show "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives".
- Zumba Mexican Grille, 121 N Main St, ☎ +1 248 542-1400. M-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM, Su 12PM-9PM. Mexican fast casual restaurant, fresh ingredients make the food here & features a salsa bar. $.
There is a Starbucks and Caribou Coffee located in Royal Oak, both of which are on Main Street.
- Cafe du Marquis, 204 5th Ave, ☎ +1 248 398-4169, . 11AM-Midnight daily. Free Wi-Fi internet connection, one of few smoker friendly places in Royal Oak.
- Hookah Joe's, 734 South Washington Avenue (Right across from Oakland Community College), . M-Th 8AM-2AM, F-Sa 8AM-4AM, Su 12PM-12AM. Hookah Bar that attracts a young crowd. Free Wi-Fi. $1 drinks, $8 Hookahs.
- 207 S Old Woodward, Birmingham.
- 165 W 9 Mile Rd, Ferndale, ☎ +1 248 542-2438.
Royal Oak has a ton of bars such as Mr. B's Pub, Fifth Avenue Billiards, Woody's, Duggans, O'Tooles, Rock on 3rd, Goodnite Gracie, Sky Club, Ye Olde Saloon, Norm's Field of Dreams and Luna Lounge.
- The Berkley Front, 3087 W. 12 Mile Rd, Berkley (Take 12 Mile Rd west across Woodward, the bar is located after Coolidge on your left side), ☎ +1 248 547-3331. M-Tu 4PM-12:30AM, W-Th 4PM-2AM, F-Sa noon-2AM. Around 40-50 beers on tap and around 80 bottled beers available. German food, Sandwiches, Burgers, Tex-Mex and a few vegetarian options. Has Pool tables and a jukebox. Live music upstairs Th-Sa. Entrees: $5-$9, Beer $4-$6.
- BlackFinn Restaurant & Saloon, 530 South Main St, ☎ +1 248 582-9460 (fax: +1 248 582-9461), . Trendy Fake Irish Pub chain, Happy Hour 4PM-7PM $2 Domestic Drafts, $3 Import Drafts, $3 House Wine, $4 Calls, $5 Martinis. Good place for a cheap pint of Guinness during happy hour, Drink specials on Wednesday night also. Tends to get really busy.
- Gusoline Alley, 309 South Center St, ☎ +1 248 545-2235, . M-Sa 10AM-2AM, Su noon-2AM. Local dive-bar, smoker-friendly. Notable beer selection. Bikers and Hipsters tend to hang out here.
- Memphis Smoke, 100 S. Main St (Southwest corner of Main St and 11 Mile.), ☎ +1 248 543-4300. Mo-Th 11 AM - Midnight Fr-Sa 11AM-2AM Su 12PM-12AM. BBQ & Cajun cuisine. Features nightly music and roof top patio. Bell's Oberon beer is available on tap during the summer. Food $10 to $25.
- Snookers' Pool & Pub, 30295 Woodward Ave, ☎ +1 248 435-0030. Pool, Golden Tee Golf.
- Vinotecca, 417 S. Main St, ☎ +1 248 544-6256 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Upscale wine bar with large selection.
Luckily for beer enthusiasts there are a fair number of brewpubs in this area. Brew pubs are restaurants that brew their own beer. For around 10 dollars you can also buy a "growler" from these establishments which holds a half gallon of beer and is a means to buy take-out beer. Besides being a great deal, growlers make a great souvenir. Also, just a short bus ride away is the Woodward Avenue Brewery in Ferndale, take the Smart 450/460 Direction: Inbound (Runs down South Washington) in Royal Oak to get there.
- Bastone, 419 S Main St, ☎ +1 248 544-6250 (fax: +1 248 544-6254), . M-Th 11AM-11PM, F-Sa 11AM-12AM, Su 12PM-10PM. Award-Winning Beers & Belgian Fries, kids eat free on Sundays.
- Lily's Seafood Grill & Brewery, 410 S Washington Ave (Near 11 Mile Rd), ☎ 248-591-5459, . Happy Hour is on Weekdays 2PM-6PM and Saturday 11AM-6PM with 2 dollar pints of their own beer. Also Monday nights is an You Can Eat Fish Fry $9.99 with $1 pints from 8PM-midnight.
- Royal Oak Brewery, 215 E Fourth St, ☎ +1 248 544-1141, . M-Th 11:30AM-12AM, F 11AM-2AM, Sa 11:30AM-2AM, Su 12PM-12AM. Food and microbrews, $5.00 Growler refills on Tuesdays, Happy Hour: 2.75 pints. 3 dollar pints on Wednesdays from 9PM-Close.
- Woodward Avenue Brewers, 22646 Woodward Ave, Ferndale, ☎ +1 248 546-3696, . M-F 11AM-2AM, Sa-Su Noon-2AM. Brew pub that features A deck and sidewalk seating. 2 dollar pints after 9 pm on Sundays. Half-off food on Mondays 4PM-Midnight. $.
- Palms Motel, 29806 Woodward Ave, ☎ +1 248 548-2345.
- Saranay Motel, 28202 Woodward Ave, ☎ +1 248 543-0351.
- Seville Motel, 28300 Woodward Ave, ☎ +1 248 547-2710.
- Travelodge Royal Oak, 30776 Woodward Avenue, ☎ +1 248 549-1600 (fax: +1 248 549-2870).
- A & A Transportation, 802 W 11 Mile Rd, ☎ +1 248 544-1600, . 24 hour service.
- Birmingham Troy Cab, 402 S Stephenson Hwy, ☎ +1 248 546-2920.
- Madison Diamond Taxi, 204 S Sherman Dr, ☎ +1 248 543-1300.
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!