The Romantic Road ("Romantischestrasse" in German) is a popular tourist route through historical towns in southern Germany, from Würzburg to Füssen.
- The Romantic Road is intersected by the Castle Road (German: Burgstrasse).
The term "Romantic Road" was first used in around the 1950s in the American-occupied section of a Germany. The name was initially known predominantly among American soldiers, who took their families on vacation there. The route is now popular with all nationalities. Signs can nowadays even be seen in Japanese.
More info can be obtained from the Touristik Arbeitsgemeinschaft Romantische Strasse, Waaggässlein 1, D-91550 Dinkelsbühl, phone +49 9851 551387, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- German is spoken along the Romantic road, though it may be strong on the Schwabish dialect in the region around Donauwörth.
- Depending on which direction you travel, Frankfurt and Munich make good entry and exit points to the Romantic Road.
- The Europabus operates along the Romantischestrasse between April and October. €58.50 is the adult fare one way from Würzburg to Füssen.
- Those with more time on their hands can travel at a more leisurely pace by bicycle along the 420-km stretch of road in about ten days. Guided tours are also available to take some of the stress out of the journey—they will take care of your luggage and accommodation, and your can travel in their bus when it rains.
- Most of the destinations along the Romantic Road can also be reached by train, but what would be the fun in that?
The best-known places along the route are Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Baroque city of Würzburg (a major wine region), Füssen (at the foot of the Alps), Augsburg, and the small but delightful town of Dinkelsbühl.
- Walk around the old towm walls, visit the medieval tourture museum, and buy Christmas decorations in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- German beer. Try the Radler (beer mixed with lemonade/soda) if you are cycling.
- Sample wine from the distinctive Bocksbeutel in Würzburg.
- Escape to the Alps from Füssen
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!