Rishikesh is a small town in the northern state of Uttarakhand in India. Scenically located where the Ganges River comes down from the Himalayas, Rishikesh catapulted to Western fame when the Beatles dropped by for a visit to Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's ashram (now closed), and the town is still known as the World Capital of Yoga.
Rishikesh is also the Gateway to the Himalayas. The Char Dham Yatra (Four Shrines Sacred Journey) ideally begins from Rishikesh.
The center of town where the train and bus stations can be found is of little interest to most travelers. Further north-east are 2 bridges spanning the Ganges, Ram Jhula  and Lakshman Jhula , at either end of these bridges are the main hubs of activity and interest.
Most accommodation and restaurants can be found near Lakshman Jhula, High Bank and Swarg Ashram.
Rishikesh is in close proximity of Dehradun's Jolly Grant Airport (about 15 km) - a small, quiet and recently renovated airport handling just two flights from Delhi. The runway is being extended and will possibly then handle flights from other metros.
Delhi airport to Rishikesh by car is a good option for a hassle free traveling specially for foreign tourists who are traveling to India for the first time. It's a 6 to 7 hours journey. Prices vary from US$ 85 for an air conditioned compact car to US$ 125 for an air conditioned SUV (but rates are much higher if one avails these services from prepaid taxi booths located at the airport).
A quiet branch line connects Rishikesh to Haridwar, but there are only about three slow trains daily. It is better to take the train to Haridwar and continue by bus (45 min, Rs.23), by taxi (30 min, Rs.800) or by shared auto-rickshaw (40 min, Rs.35). However, travelling by train is recommended in peak seasons or during a 'mela' (fair) when bus routes are diverted in Haridwar whereas trains often run empty and the fares are low (just Rs.4 for a passenger train service). You can take share rickshaws (vehicle brand name Vikram) towards Lakshman Jhula (Rs.15) from Rishikesh station. You will have to cross Ram Jhula to reach Swarg Ashram on the other side of river Ganga. There are many trains from Delhi to Haridwar. Some of the better are: Shatabadi Express, Jan Shatabdi, AC Special Express, Mussoorie Express. Travel agents in Swarg Ashram and Lakshman Jhula can book train tickets for onward journeys; much easier than going to Rishikesh railway station to buy a ticket. Some may sell you a ticket from Raiwala, a small stop between Rishikesh and Haridwar, but this station, while closer, is tiny and trains only stop for a few seconds - better to board the train at Haridwar.
- Trains from Rishikesh
- Rishikesh - Delhi 07:00
- Rishikesh - Haridwar 08:10
- Rishikesh - Bandikui 14:10
- Rishikesh - Haridwar 14:20 Rs 4/-
- Rishikesh - Haridwar 18:35 Rs 4/-
- Rishikesh - Jammutawi 16:20
- Passenger Trains from Haridwar to Rishikesh, Approx travel time 1hr.
- Haridwar - Rishikesh 05:20
- Haridwar - Rishikesh 10:30
- Haridwar - Rishikesh 17:25
From Delhi the city is about 230 km away and is well connected with buses. A bus journey may take about 5-7 hours - depending on the traffic - and costs you about Rs 130-350. An AC Bus will cost about Rs 250-700. In Rishikesh, there are several travel agencies scattered around Swarg Ashram and Lakshman Jhula that can book luxury buses to common destinations like Delhi (Rs 250-700), Jaipur, Pushkar and Varanasi. The right time to visit would be February, March, August-October. In July there is a festival called Saavan where thousands of people flock to Rishikesh. Major roads are blocked and hotels are crowded. It is better to avoid travelling to Rishikesh during that time.
Auto-rickshaws (vikrams) are useful from the bus/train stations to get to either of the bridges (Rs 10) and for the southern side of the Ganges. Swargashram is pretty much pedestrian only, but it's compact and walkable (as is the whole of the town). For other autorickshaw journeys you should expect to pay around Rs 15/km.
List of private taxis
If you're going up into the hills or need a taxi a bit later in the evening.
- Taxi Mohan, ☎ +91 989 786 53 99, Speaks basic english, safe driver with long experience and will not try to rip you off.
- Triveni Ghat, . This is a bathing ghat. Daily in the morning and evening there are thousands who take bath here and enjoy the Maha Aarti being performed. It is very soothing to sit on the banks of the river and enjoy the cool breeze from the river.
- Bharat Mandir 
- Lakshman Jhula 
- Gita Bhavan. Place of Guru Shri Ram Sukh Daasji, (the great thinker of his time) Popular among the Hindu Brahmin Community. Twice a year people gather at this ashram to read the Ramayana together.
- Swarg Ashram, Shri 108 Baba kali Kamli Wale Swami Atam Prakash Ji. Swargashram ( Heavenly Abode) as the name connotes is a beautiful place situated in picturesque surroundings at the foot of Himalayas on the left bank of the Ganges between Rishikesh and Laxmanjhula. It is the spiritual “ground zero” of Rishikesh, filled with a concentration of ashrams and temples. The areas is known for its healthy and satwik living environment. It is this spot where from ages of yore the famous Yogis and Rishis have been doing the Tapasya. Numerous mention of this spot occurs in the holy scripture Puranas
- Parmarth Niketan. One of the few Ashrams left in India where Kids get the Vedas Education. Must Visit in Evening for the Pooja/Aarti. 5PM in Winter and 6PM in summer.
- Neelkanth Mahadev Mela
- Trayambakeshwar Temple, Lakshman Jhula. is 13 stories high, with different deities throughout.
- Music Concert (Veena Maharaja Music School), 20 meter left from Ram Jhula Bridge near police check post, Swargashram, Rishieksh India., ☎ 9412029817. In the Veena Maharaja Music school, the Music Concert is organised every Sunday of the week at 7 PM at night time. In which the professional Indian Classical musicians are invited to entertainment the audiences with the pleasant sound of their lovely and good looking instruments.
- Take a holy dip in the Ganges, with reputed healing powers.
- Check into an Ashram to study yoga, meditation and Hindu philosophy.
- White Water Rafting Rishikesh is very popular for its rafting on the River Ganga (Ganges). Season: September-November and March-April-May are ideal for rafting. The rafting will go on for several kilometres, and the path is interspersed with rapids, ranging from Level 1 to Level 5, in order of difficulty. At the end of the trip, you have the option of jumping some 20 feet from a ledge into the water. There are several local travel agencies, offering these rafting trips. The package usually includes an overnight camp on the banks of the river, with a brilliant and dangerous trek among the hills in the morning. If one has time, courses in rafting are also offered. 
- Camping is a recreational activity that does not have any age limit. Any individual who likes to explore new places and enjoy the beauty and serenity of nature can embark on a camping voyage. Camping in Rishikesh on the Ganga beach offer an environment to wake up with the birds cher chew and can swim in the fresh water of the river Ganges. Camping in Rishikesh is a very popular activity.
- Rappelling Climbing down with a rope is called rappelling. The group is taken to a spot where there is a cliff drop, experts with proper equipment who setup the gear first and then, one by one, everyone comes down. It's all about trusting your gear and following the instructions and then it's a lot of fun.
- Rock climbing This is something everyone is familiar with, this is also included in some of the camps but not everyone can do it as it requires a lot of strength and skill. The group is taken to a cliff side and with proper safety gear everyone is given a chance to climb the cliff side.
- Cliff Jumping You are supposed to jump into freezing water from a cliff! Yes, it sounds crazy but this is one thing which everyone can brag about back home, of course you are wearing a life jacket and a helmet but still to jump from so high into the Ganga which is murky and the bottom can't be seen, it's not like jumping into a swimming pool where one can see the bottom the water is static.
- Kayaking is the use of a kayak for moving across water. Kayaking is differentiated from canoeing by the fact that a kayak has a closed cockpit and a canoe has an open cockpit. They also use a two bladed paddle. Another major difference is in the way the paddler sits in the boat. Kayakers sit in a seat on the bottom of the boat with their legs extended out in front of them. Canoeists will either sit on an elevated bench seat or kneel directly on the bottom of the boat. Whitewater kayaking is the sport of paddling a kayak on a moving body of water, typically a whitewater river. Whitewater kayaking can range from simple, carefree gently moving water, to demanding, dangerous whitewater. One can learn this sport by taking kayaking courses from 
- Trekking There are lot of soft treks available around Rishikesh. Some of them take you to beautiful and hidden waterfalls. These beautiful natural wonders are 2-6 kms from Laxman Jhula and are hidden in the nearby forest. One also has the option to trek to Neelkanth Mandir(11 Kms). It is advisable to go in a group than wandering in the wild alone and risking your life.
- Near By Excursions There are many small excursion/sight seeing tours for half day or one day. Like to Vashishtha cave, Kunjapuri temple (1700Mts), Neer Gaddu Water fall, Mussorie, Haridwar. Guides and taxi can be booked in many travel agencies. For more information or booking you can also call at 9927213649 or 0135-2440111.
- Astrology services Astrology services Like personal horoscope and palm reading from the renowned astrologer b.p.uniyal are quite popular among the foreign tourists. you will have to provide your personal particulars like date and time of birth,city of birth etc. for the calculations and you can ask your personal queries and suggestions as per your chart. one can also learn astrology here. you can personally book an appointment for a palm reading or horoscope session at "ganga astrology centre" near german bakery, laxman jhula. email email@example.com and phone no is 9897483488. you can also ask for your horoscope to be sent to your email id.
- Bungee Jump, (15km ahead of Rishikesh on Rishikesh-Neelkanth road), ☎ 7830335577, . You can try bungee jump at Jumpin Heights. It is a unique experience in India, a jump from 83 mtrs just above a natural river and have the time of your life. Bungee for Rs. 3000(inc. Rs 300 transport from Laxman Jhula and back) and Fox Flying for Rs. 2000(inc. Rs 300 transport from Laxman Jhula and back)
- Mukeshji's Jungle Vibes, Shisham Jhari,Rishikesh (Near Dayanand Ashram), ☎ 09411312049. . Have a once in a life time experience of making the Australian Didgeridoos, African Djmbes and other musical instruments in the guidance of iconic Mukeshji while he enthrals you with his hilarious stories and takes you along with him in his Himalayan Journeys. A person visiting here finds himself/herself in a selected crowd of music aficionados and extreme adventurers from around the world.
- Camp Gold Coast rishikesh, Beach no-17 B, Sing Talli- 7 Rishikesh - Deoprayag Highway 800 mtrs from Byasi m Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249201, India, ☎ +91 9953636000, . Camp Gold is one of the biggest rafting beach camps situated on the banks of river Ganga, is around 26 kms. from Rishikesh and 260 Kms from Delhi. Rafting, Kayaking, Body surfing, trekking, camping are the ajor activities conducted in this camp.
- Soma Reiki centre, (Near the Swargashram Taxi stand), ☎ 0091 98 97 73 26 79 (firstname.lastname@example.org,). run by soma a local reiki master which is in Gita Ashram
Yoga, of course! It's on offer everywhere, and most styles are represented. Rishikesh considers itself to be the yoga capital of the world. Yoga teacher training is offered several places.
- Rishikesh Yog Dham (RYS 200 - Yoga Alliance), Mount View Cottage, Tapovan, ☎ +91 9808729791, . A yoga school registered with Yoga Alliance - offers 200-hour residential yoga teacher training programs and yoga courses in Rishikesh. US$ 1200.
- Himalayan Yoga Academy (Yoga Teacher Training and Certification School in Rishikesh), Next door Swargashram Police Post, Ram Jhula (20 metres left of Ram Jhula Bridge), ☎ 9412029817 (email@example.com), . 9am-5pm. Himalayan Aoga Academy offers yoga teacher training courses. Course fee includes meals and accommodation, all extracurricular activities including rafting and trekking, and concerts. Free wi-fi is available 24/7. Food menu is unbeatable including Indian, continental, Japanese and Russian cuisine. Being the most reputable yoga school in Rishikesh, HYA runs yoga courses with 7 highly-acknowledged yoga teachers in Rishikesh: Surinder Singh, Yogacharya Rajendra pandey, Yogacharya Naveen Joshi, Yogacharya Ashish Koshik, Dr. Usha Vaishnava, Yogendra Mishra and Buddhi Prakash. Swami Yogananda Maharaj Babaji is a frequent guest at Himalayan Yoga Academy. (30.122482,78.315203)
- Rishikesh Yog Peeth (RYS 200, 500 - Registered Yoga School with Yoga Alliance - USA), Krishna Cottage, Swargashram, Ram Jhula (near Chotiwala Restaurant), ☎ +919557016661 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Offers 200, 300 and 500-hour residential hatha yoga teacher training courses in Rishikesh with additional 100-hours training(course fee includes food and accommodation). Also conducts short term yoga & ayurveda courses and retreats throughout the year. US$ 1350.
- Tattvaa Yoga Shala Rishikesh, Rishikesh Swargashram Ramjhula (on tha way to Parmarthniketan near boat stand), ☎ 0091 9997277322 (email@example.com), . International standard yoga training centre by the Ganges River 1500 usd.
- Osho Gangadham, Jaanaki cottage, Lease No-52, Badrinath road, Brahmpuri, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand (INDIA) (on tha way to Shivpuri,), ☎ +919536004911 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Osho GangaDham is a place where you can do Meditation, simply relax and where you can also enjoy the company of visitors of all ages from over world. You can choose if you want to do something listen Osho Discourses, or attend Daily Meditation Program or just to be. 500-600 INR/day.
- Ved Niketan Ashram, Swatgashram, Ram Jhula, ☎ 9890404069 (email@example.com). Yoga Iyengar general class and 15 days intensive Master One courses by Iyengar yoga certified teacher Yogi Prakash Dabhekar.
- Instituion for Higher Meditative Consciousness, C14 Ganga Vatika,Phase I,Muni-ki-Reti, Rishikesh (near Ram Jhula), ☎ 0 933 1606 643, . Certified Yoga and Meditation classes and Vedic teaching by IHMC.
- Yoga Study Centre, Ganga Vihar, Haridwar Road, Rishikesh, 249201, . Ganga Vihar, Haridwar Road, Rishikesh, 249201, . The Yoga Study Centre, Ganga Vihar, Haridwar Road, Rishikesh, 249201 Tel. +91 135 2431196. Bramacharya Rudra Dev, a senior Iyengar teacher and Rakesh Batra his one of the senior most deciple, conducts lessons in a rather militaristic style and students need to move quickly to keep up. Many western students appreciate his style and are able to feel the warmth behind his challenging adjustments. Students are a mix of locals and Westerners. Donated mats and blankets are provided though if you are concerned about cleanliness you might want to bring your own. As with most Indian yoga schools, women should dress modestly. There are classes daily at the centre. Twenty day intensives are held three times a year during February, April and September. The centre is closed from mid-December to mid-January and for March, May and June. The Yoga Study Centre is on the other side of town from the other ashrams, and from where most people stay. A constant stream of Rs3 shared rickshaws move up and down the main road, and many go as far as the centre. Free.
- Braham Yoga Rishikesh, Flat number 1 and 2, Ganga Niketan, Swargashram Trust, Rishikesh (120 Meter Left Side of Ram Jhula bridge, Ram Jhula), ☎ +91 9897285813, . Managed by Aham Brahamasmi Yog Mandir Trust ( Central Govt. Of India) Aham Brahamasmi Yog Mandir Trust (ABYMT) is a trust in Rishikesh dedicated to promote Yoga & health awareness for General Public. If you are beginner, an experienced practitioner, an athlete or a yoga instructor, you will find a programme to deepen your yogic practice on your individual journey.
Take a Music class or meditate to live music in Ram Jhula.
- Bhuwan Chandra Music School, Ram Jhula, Swaargashram, near Ram Jhula Bridge, ☎ 9412029817 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . This music school is run by a renowned sitar player of Rishikesh, Bhuwan Chandra. Travelers can learn sitar, tabla, harmonium, mantra chanting, and improve vocal skills.
- Shatrughan Mandir (Shatrughan Temple), Muni ki reti (Rishikesh). Shatrughan Temple is one of the oldest temple in rishikesh establised by adi Sanchracharya in 11 century. Its dedicated to lord Shatrughan, brother of Lord Ram. This is the only temple in india dedicated to lord Shatrughan.
- KIRTI HERMITAGE (near Vashishta cave), Rishikesh Badrinath main road (half an hour drive from Tapovan by a local bus or a cab), ☎ 9359650738, . 5pm to 6 pm. nestled on the scenic outskirts of Rishikesh, by the banks of holy Ganga, this is a center for learning authentic healing modalities. You can visit or attend Maa's Satsang from 5pm to 6pm each day. free.
- Internation Yoga and Music festival Rishikesh (international yoga and music festival), 20 metres left form ramjhula swargashram, Rishikesh India (near ram jhula bridge,police check post), ☎ 9412029817, . International Yoga and Music Festival is organised every from 1st Nov to 14th November since the year 2008 by Bhuwan Chandra, in Swargshram, Rishikesh, India (also known as the world capital of yoga). In the festival, about 65 Yoga teachers and Musicians are invited from all over the world which hold master degree in their professions. Any one from all over the world can join Yoga and Music festival.
As with most holy cities come tourist destinations there's a plethora of religious paraphernalia, cheap clothing aimed at foreigners, incense, bronze Shiva statues, etc. Unlike many other similar towns in India prices here are usually reasonable and you won't have to haggle hard for a good price.
- Ganga Beach Resort, Shesdhara, Tapovan, Laxman Jhula Road (Resort is situated at Tapovan 3 Kms from Rishikesh & just on the right of river bank along with the coastal line of river Ganga), ☎ 0135-2442018, . Ganga Beach Resort is strategically situated, where the exquisite setting on the fast-flowing Ganges, surrounded by forested hills, is conducive to meditation and mind expansion. Ganga Beach Resort is just 3 Kms away from the Rishikesh main city, surrounded by Mountains & on right on the bank of River Ganga. Experience all shades of hill city Rishikesh with world class resort services with complete satisfaction. Delhi Sales Office: Ganga Beach Resort, Ahilya Complex , Plot no. 33, Sai Enclave (Adjoining National Training Academy Employee State Insurance Corporation), Sec-23, Dwarka, New Delhi - 110077. Contact: (24x7) (Sales/Enquiry) +91-9999200619, +91-9358677425, +91-8527657637, +91-11-65951128, +91-11-65951129. Email ID: email@example.com
- Rishikesh Valley (an Eco holistic resort), Neelkanth Road (cross the Bairaj and drive upwards to neelkanth temple 10km), ☎ +91-9756964972, . Rishikesh Valley is an Eco holistic resort.yoga classes, Intensive meditation courses available, Rejuvenation therapies available
- Ashtanga Rishikesh, Topovan Laxman Jhula, . Traditional daily Mysore style ashtanga with Louise Ellis. Louise is certified by Sri K Pattbhi Jois.For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Association for yoga and meditation, India (Yoga teachers training accredited by International Yoga Federation), Ombasananda Satyanasana Mandir. Laxman Jula. Rishikesh (Near Sant Sewa Ashram), ☎ 91-7500277709, . 7 am - 7 pm. Association for yoga and Meditation, India offers yoga courses which are residential as well as non residential for different durations such as 200, 300 and 500 hours which focus asana, pranayama, mudra, bandha, kriya, relaxation and meditation along with yogic anatomy and physiology, psychology and teaching methodology. 770$.
- sanskritiyogpeeth, sawargasram (raamjulla risikesh), ☎ 0135.2440822, . yoga teacher training with certificate
- Mahatma Yoga Ashram, Same side of the river as the German Bakery (Go to the top of the steps by the German Bakery and turn right, walk down the hill and the signs will point the way), . A great little Ashram, newly built. It's far enough from the center of things to be quiet but close enough to still be a part of the scene. The staff are all incredibly kind and will help you to arrange anything from Taxi's to Rafting. 400/night.
- VEDANGAS, Hotel Raj palace,geeta bhavan gate no 3,Swargashram Rishikesh,india 249304, ☎ +917830182277, . (email@example.com). registered with Yoga Alliance®USA - RYS 200 and RYS 500. Offers 200 hour and 500 hrs residential hatha yoga teacher training course in Rishikesh (RYT 200 ) for US$1,150 and RYT 500 (course fee includes food and accommodation) and also conducts short term yoga & ayurveda courses and retreats (1~2 weeks) throughout the year.
- new bhandari swiss cottage (treditional hatha yoga center), lakshman jhula tapovan (by pass road), ☎ 9997923773. 8.30am 5.pm. his yoga school is one of a few authentic yoga schools in Rishikesh. Lead by a reknown yogacharya upendra , it offers drop-in classes as well as yoga courses at different levels: basic, advanced, and teacher levels. Yoga practice in treditional hatha yoga center goes beyond physical exercise offering in-depth understanding of the purpose of practice and involving wide array of advanced mental practic. You can also learn treditional meditation from tradition lineage holde and Shatkarma.as kunjal kriya , Neti kriya e.t.c
- Vedangas, Opposite Geeta Bhavan behind Parmarth Niketan, ☎ 0135-2440909, . 200 hrs. VEDANGAS, Hotel Raj palace,geeta bhavan gate no 3,Swargashram Rishikesh,india 249304, ☎ +917830182277, . (firstname.lastname@example.org). registered with Yoga Alliance®USA - RYS 200 and RYS 500. Offers 200 hour and 500 hrs residential hatha yoga teacher training course in Rishikesh (RYT 200 ) for US$1,150 and RYT 500 (course fee includes food and accommodation) and also conducts short term yoga & ayurveda courses and retreats (1~2 weeks) throughout the year USD 1150.
Non-vegetarian food has been banned in the city for many many years. North and south Indian food is widely available, and there's no shortage of multi-cuisine backpacker cafes, especially in Lakshman Jhula. What excites many foreigners is the delicious Ayurvedic and health food restaurants, perfect for an after-yoga meal. Many of the main lanes are lined with wooden push carts selling in-season fruit, veggies, Popcorn, nuts, warm cookies and lots else, and you'll usually be quoted a fair price. The papayas here are particularly delicious. Try the famous Chotiwali Special / Janata or Delux Thali . Once upon a time it used to be an unlimited affair but now due to practical constraints the quantity is limited and extra helpings are charged. There are several eateries offering jalebis, imartis, samosas, and other Indian snacks. If you haven't heard of these before, you should definitely try them out.
- Mukti's Health Food , (a few hundred metres west of Shivanand Jhula bridge, overlooking the taxi stand/parking lot). A tiny place in a strange location, but very popular and excellent food at very reasonable prices. Homemade green pasta, Indonesian gado-gado, and homemade frozen yogurt, apple pie or chocolate cake for dessert.
- The Welcome Center, (about a 10-15 minute walk towards Haridwar from the Shivanand Jhula bridge), Hidden down off the road (but signposted), this is a little oasis of calm from the busy street. Great Ayurvedic food and teas. They also offer cooking classes, several types of yoga, etc. and sell natural incense, neti pots, yoga mats and the like. If you like the atmosphere, enquire about staying here as well.
- Shiva-resort, a nice place away from the bustling market of Ram-Jhula towards Neelkanth road in Jonk village a great place to have organic food and you also can stay there in a silent and pleasant place.
- Chotiwala in Swarg Ashram claims to be the original, and serves up great Indian food including 5 different thalis. Meals starts from Rs. 100.
- Ganga Ayurvedic Food Place, (out beyond most of the ashrams, just past VED Niketan Ashram). Delicious food, lovingly prepared. One of the cleaner kitchens around, don't be afraid of the good salads. Also great for breakfast.
- Little Italy, Swarg Ashram, (in the Green Hotel). Good pasta, pizza, etc. Mains from Rs 30.
- The Office. Has amazing sweet samosas filled with mango, apple, banana and/or chocolate as well as the best Massala Chai in town (some say: in India!)
- Red Night Restaurant, Open air, river facing restaurant and terrace. 0135- 2440094
- Moon Dance Cafe, Ramjhula Swargashram Area (near taxi stand), ☎ 091-9897270905. 8AM-11PM. Italian, Mexican American, Indian, Tibetan, Nepali, Israeli cuisine with all food prepared with fresh water. Great choice of delicious meals. Be prepared to wait for at least 40 minutes. Affordable prices. 6-120.
in rishikesh near triveni ghat a restaurant named pundit g ka rajasthani restaurant has a very good variety and taste of north indian food.
- Little Buddha (Fine Nepali Food), Laxman Jhula Rd. (In Laxman Jhula, look for a huge tree in the middle of the Laxman Jhula Road. Th restaurant is exactly against the tree.). 8am-10pm. Little Buddha is one of the best known cafes in town. Here you can get delicious Nepali, Indian, European, Thai food for under 100 Rs. per dish. Three storeys, nice Ganga view. Rs. 10-150.
- German Bakery in Tapovan (The Spinach Pie place), (Just above entrance to Laxman Jhula bridge, Tapovan side). Don't miss their super-popular spinach pie. Come at 10am to get a piece.
- Ganga View Restaurant (Extra-delicious Nepali and World food in Laxman Jhula), (From Laxman Jhula bridge, go to taxi stand passing the famous bell temples. After taxi stand walk another 20 meters.). 8am-11pm. Probably the best cooks in town, these guys will serve you any food you like. Be prepared to wait 40-90 minutes as the place is extremely popular. 10-200.
- Sitting around in dhabas and cafes is nearly mandatory here. In addition to the old standards like masala chai and lassis you can find a nice range of Ayurvedic teas. Some restaurants make up their own tonics to treat anything that may be ailing you.
- Lately two Italian style/Seattle style cafes have popped up. Their main focus is on the coffee.
- Alcohol is banned and inappropriate, as Rishikesh is a holy city, although you can buy beer (8% alc) to your meal in one of the finer hotels.
- German Bakery and restaurant is situated at Laxman jhoola is a good place to visit with its high view over rishikesh and laxman jhoola as well as bridge and is a common place for foreigners and vistiors to have a relaxing break.
- Tripti Restaurant is situated on main Badrinath highway and is a good place to visit. It has a beautiful view and and airy restaurant area to sit and relax. The food is healthy and fresh and tasty. It is a common place for foreigners and vistiors to have a calm and quite break. Sitting on the terrace is another thing that you dont want to miss at "Tripti"
- Freedom Ganga Cafe, (In Laxman Jhula, locate a tree in the middle of the road and turn down into a small lane next to an ayurvedic doctor's office.). 8am-10pm. Freedom ganga Cafe offers the best drinks in Rishikesh: Strawberry smoothies, thick Mango juice (ask with no ice), Strawberry lassi, thick fresh Pineapple juice. Drinks are served in 500 ml mugs. 12-200.
Rishikesh is filled almost entirely with budget hotels, with a few mid-range thrown in for good measure. Lakshman Jhula is popular with backpackers and has the cheapest accommodation, while Swarg Ashram is where the majority of the ashrams are located, and is a nice alternative. There's also a handful of accommodation options in High Bank.
It's wise to book ahead in the peak tourist season, and during the Kumbh Mela in neighboring Haridwar.
Hotels in this range start as low as Rs 100.
- Crest Guest House, Opp. Anand Dham, Laxman Jhula, Tapovan, Rishikesh (From Bus Station skip over the rickshaw touts asking 200rs and eventually a rickshaw will be driving by for 10rs that will drop you at the corner of Tapovan + Lakshman Jhula road, head down Lakshman Jhula road 200meters), ☎ 0135-2442040, 09536443126. "Newly opened, 3 respectful & laid back 20s men from the Himalayas (with good english), clean, big room, desk, dresser, very comfortable beds, hot water, hospitable owners Guddu, Dharm, & Vinod are always down to share a chai and are easily convinced to share their staff kitchen. This convenient location is close to the main road for a 10rs ride to Ram Jhula and also right at the end of the Jewelers Alley that is an interesting climb straight down to Lakshman Jhula. Much more relaxed than other side of Lakshman (much less honking :), and still plenty of options for Yoga, Organic Cafe/Grocery (Main Road), Meditation, next door to the champion kayak + rafter Vikki, Volunteer/eat organic cafe Ramanas Orphanage." Rs 300(low)-800(high season).
- radhakrishna guesthouse (Arpit arora), tapovan badrinath road rishikesh (next to hotel aryan), ☎ +91-8449300888, . checkin: 12 noon; checkout: 12 noon. very clean and comfortable rooms with attached bath.the best place all tourist,away from main road very silent and hygenic place with very cleaned rooms and owner take care of property himself and all guest and is very helpfull you can contact him any time. Rs 400-1200.
- Ananda Guesthouse, Swargashram (next to Krishna Cottage), ☎ +91 9758164982, . Clean and comfortable! New rooms with attached bath. Good value for the money and the owner is a great and helpful host. Rs 300-400. (,Anup Owner)
- WildHawk Shivpuri, Shivpuri (Opposite Shivpuri Petrol Pump), ☎ +91 9810616140, . On the bank of river ganga, a economical and budgeted beach camp. Rs 1500-1800. (,Ankit Owner)
- Wildhawk Kaudiyala, Kaudiyala (Kaudiyala), ☎ +91 9990666420, . Beach camp at kaudiyala, rishikesh. One of the best located camp in rishikesh. Rs 1300-2000. (,kaudiyala Owner)
- the lodge gayatrikunj, swargashram (behind hotel rajdeep), ☎ 9897123301, . checkin: any time; checkout: 12 noon. Newly built neat and clean rooms with kitchen facilities in some rooms. Comfortable homely stay.Contact +91-135-2440840. Book well in advance to avoid disappointment. Service with smile. 250-350. Rooms also available on monthly basis @6000 to 7000 per month..
- Green Hotel, Swargashram, ☎ +91-135-2431242. Is a large, popular place with a good restaurant. Rs 100-1000.
- Hotel Ganga Ambience, Badrinath Road Tapovan Laxman Jhoola (Opp Ace Glass Factory, 5 minutes walk from Police Check Post Tapovan), ☎ +91-9639804545,+91 9639805060 (email@example.com), . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 12.00. Clean,Comfortable and a safe place to stay. AC and non-AC rooms with attached bathrooms, 24 hrs hot water,free Wi-Fi, balcony with mountain view, garden, car parking, restaurant. Yoga lessons, river rafting and other adventure activities are also available on request.Staffs are very friendly and informative. Rs 400 - 1200.
- Hotel Hill Top, Laxman Jhula, +91-135-2434583. Rooms over looking the river and the mountains. Double bed-room Rs 600-750. Four bed-room with TV Rs 1200.
- Hotel Ishan, Lakshman Jhula. Decent rooms with Ganga views and balconies. From Rs 200.
- Hotel Narayana Kunj, Swargashram, ☎ +91-135-2440922, 2440822, . Rooms- 300 inr 600 inr neet and cleen room good sarvic
- Jaipur Inn, Laxman Jhula. Nice rooms, some with a view and a good restaurant on the top floor that overlooks both the Laxman Jhula and the Ganges River. Single Rs. 900 - Double Rs. 1000
- Krishna Cottage, Swargashram (near Chotiwala Restaurant), ☎ +91-135-2440193 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Room price of US $20 per night includes 3 meals & free wireless internet. Also offers short term yoga and ayurveda courses/retreats(including Yoga Alliance certified 200 hour yoga teacher training) and budget car and taxi rental services from Delhi airport to Rishikesh. $20 US/night.
- Laxmi Yellow Guest House, Near Anand Prakash Yoga Ashram, Badrinath Road Tapovan Laxman Jhoola (10 minutes walk from Police Check Post Tapovan), ☎ +91-9760506761, Mr.Jay Kumar (email@example.com). checkin: 12.00; checkout: 12.00. Brand new guest house with clean and comfortable rooms with attached kitchen,common kitchen and attached bathroom with 24 hours hot water, mountain view, in house salad lounge & cafe. In house reiki and crystal macrame workshops. In house salon for haircut by professional stylist. Yoga lessons, river rafting and other adventure activities are also available on request. The host is very helpful and kind and stays in the same property. Rs 250 - 400.
- Lucky Hotel, Lakshman Jhula, . 8-room hotel on the banks of the Ganges with a river view. A restaurant serving Indian and Chinese food is under the hotel. Rs 300-1300.
- Mount Valley Mama Cottage, High Bank. The friendly hostess, Mama, makes wholesome breakfasts and scrumptious thali. Nice Ganga views and a good shower.
- Patanjali Yoga Center, Ram Jhula Taxi Stand. Iyengar Yoga lessons are available in a studio with modern equipment. Rooms Rs. 100 and up.
- Raj Resort (Raj Resort Rishikesh), Badrinath Road Tapovan (5 minute walk from Police Check Post Tapovan), ☎ +91 - 135 - 2434165, +91 9412917323 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Clean and comfortable ,AC/non-AC rooms with attached bathrooms, hot shower, balcony with mountain view, garden, car parking, restaurant. Yoga lesson, river rafting and other extras are also available. Rs 300 - 1500.
- Rishikesh Sadan, The Spiritual Retreat Guesthouse (Yoga Teachers Training), Near Old RTO Checkpost, Aamkhala, Tapovan, Badrinath Highway (next to Narayana Palace), ☎ +91 9837293333, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 12:00. Clean and comfortable valley facing rooms near Spring. Rs. 800 to 1500.
- Sai Ganga Cottage, Tapovan Badrinath Road Laxman Jhula (Take rickshaw from Rishikesh Market to Sai Ganga Cottage, 10 min from Rishikesh market, very close to Ram Jhula bridge and waterfall), ☎ 9997015534 (email@example.com). checkin: anytime; checkout: 12:00. Family operated, beautiful rooms A/C and Non A/C available, water heater, delectable restaurant, cyber cafe, rafting and trekking packages, bus, air and train ticketing services available. Rs 500-2000.
- Sarika The sanctuary, Swargashram (next to Shiva Resort), ☎ +91-9897270905, +91-8958302149, +91-135-2440157 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Reported to be clean and comfortable. Rs 200-300.
- Shiva Resort, Swargashram, . Open rooms with balconies and garden. Also offers yoga lessons in the morning (7:00AM to 8:30AM ) & evening (5:30PM to 7:00PM), in-house pool, internet cafe, ayurvedic treatments and panchkarma centre. From Rs 450-1000.
- Shiv Shakti Guesthouse, Laxman Jhula (near Sant Sewa Ashram), ☎ +91 9756697614, . Clean and comfortable rooms with attached bathroom. some rooms have ganga view also and free WiFi.Also have travel point on reception. Rs 300-500.
- Hotel Surya Palace (Rishikesh Yog Peeth - RYS 200, 500), Village Jonk Ramjhula (near Chotiwala Restaurant), ☎ 9557016661, . Opened 2010. Wifi. Rooms are big, clean and very comfortable. Also offers yoga teacher training programs registered with Yoga Alliance (USA). US$ 10~15.
- Tripti Hotel, Tapovan (Laxman Jhula), ☎ +91-135-2430212, 9897544408 (email@example.com), . Rooms Non Ac INR 600. Clean and comfortable. The owner is a great guy and helpful host.
- Vashishth Guest House, Swargashram (Near Parmarth Niketan), ☎ +91-9675043701, . Clean & safe place to stay with air conditioning, television, water heater, attached bathroom facilities. Rs. 400 - 1200.
- Yash Paying Guest House, Badrinath Road Tapovan Laxman Jhoola (Behind Baba Balaknath Temple 5 minutes walk from police check post Tapovan), ☎ +91-9412146858, Mr.Yash,: +919997887794 (firstname.lastname@example.org). checkin: 12.00; checkout: 12.00. Clean, comfortable and a safe place to stay. Rooms with attached kitchen and bathrooms, 24h hot water, balcony with mountain view, garden, car parking, river rafting, trekking, camping and other adventure activities are also available by Himalayan Hikers from the same group. It's family-owned, and the host is very helpful and kind and stays in the same property. Rooms on monthly rental available. Rs 400 -Rs 500.
- Yoga Niketan Guest House, Near Ram Jhula. On the river, private Ghat. Yoga classes take place in their main Ashram above - a five-minute uphill walk. Clean rooms on ground and first floors have private sit out with good view of the Ganga. Basic veg meals available on request or at Ashram Rs.200/- per day. Non Ac Rs. 500; AC Rs. 990.
- Aadi Badri Guesthouse, Laxman Jhula (On the side of the bridge with the wedding cake temple. If you get dropped off on other side, walk across bridge, turn left down road at Shiva statue. It is down the road 3 minutes on right hand side.). Came into town with some fellow travelers who had heard of Bombay Guesthouse, which has doubles for 200rupees. But they are in pretty bad shape. Just a bit further down the road Aadi Badri had big rooms, clean bathrooms (hot water), and nice family staff for a reasonable price. Rs 300 for double.
Many ashrams also offer cheap lodging.
- Nirmal Ashram , (Very close to Triveni Ghat), Mayakund, Nirmal Ashram is famous for its service to humanity. Free food, medical treatment, education to poor people are a few of the services which Nirmal Ashram provides. Free food is served to everybody whosoever comes to the Ashram.
- Sant Seva Ashram, Laxman Jhula, +91-135-2430-465. Budget rooms on the banks with a great view from Rs 250-700. Long stays allowed. Booking can be done only 1 or 2 days in advance. Homely restaurant attached.
- Sivananda Ashram, Ram Jhula, (on the north side of the Shivanand Jhula bridge).
- Sri Ved Niketan Ashram, Swarg Ashram. A large place offering hatha yoga, meditation, etc. Rooms Rs 50-150.
There are two Government Tourist Lodges. Their rates range from INR 600 to 2000.
- Bharat Bhumi in the town.
- Sisham Jhari on the banks of the Ganges.
Online booking of both these tourist resorts can be done here: 
- Hotel Ganga View, 355 Haridwar Road (on National Highway 58), ☎ +91 999720244 (email@example.com), . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 12:00. Situated on the outskirts of the city with - surprise! - a river view. Rs 1500-2499. (30.102356,78.292447)
- Explore Himalaya Resort, Badrinath Road, Village Shivpuri, ☎ 91 + 9212514779 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . AC/Non AC rooms with attached bathrooms, hot shower, balcony with mountain view, garden, car parking, restaurant. Yoga lesson, meditation or massage, trekking trips, water sports, river rafting, et al. are available. Rs 2500 - 2800.
- The Riviera, Shivpuri, Rishkesh, ☎ +91 9990234386, . Rs 3500-5000.
- Hotel Ganesha Inn, Laxman Jhula Road, ☎ 2442024, .
- Hotel Prasanna Inn, (Near Dayananda Ashra), . Near the river line, in some quiet and serene surroundings. Rooftop yoga.
- Tapovan Resort, Laxman Jhula, . A newer hotel with good rooms and a garden. Also has a decent restaurant. INR 1650-1850.
- Vna Tapovan, Laxman Jhula Badrinath Road, ☎ +91-8449100888 +91-8449300888. checkin: 12 noon; checkout: 12 noon. A Place for quite and luxurious stay,with all the facilities and every thing very near to the hotel.The staff very informative and co-operative.A new hotel with excellent service, rafting, camping, treeking, bungeejumping are arranged.(email@example.com) Rs 1000-1200.
- Rainforest House, Rainforest Chowkie, ☎ +91 8006779298, . checkin: 2 pm; checkout: 12 noon. Situated a few km north of Tapovan, very calm, clean and friendly staff. Has a beautiful view of Ganga with access to a beach and a restaurant with a great cook. Rooftop yoga. Rs 3200-4200.
- Ganga Beach Resort, Shesdhara, Tapovan, Laxman Jhula Road (3 km from Rishikesh & on the right river bank of Ganga), ☎ 0135-2442018 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Exquisite setting on the Ganges, surrounded by forested hills.
- Hotel Ganga Kinare (0135-2435243), 237 Virbhadra Road, ☎ + 91 8447404441/2/3/5 (email@example.com), . On the banks of the Ganges, with a private ghat (bank), this boutique hotel overlooks Rajaji National Park. A couple of rolling lawns host morning yoga sessions and spiritual lectures. Various heads of states and celebrities have stayed here. The hotel houses a riverside cafe 'Rangoli' and a multi-cuisine dining lounge. Some years before it used to be the venue of international yoga week also. Rs 3000-6000.
- Ananda in the Himalayas, The Palace Estate, Narendra Nagar, Tehri - Garhwal, Uttaranchal - 249175, ☎ 91-1378-227500 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 91-1378-227550), . A half an hour drive from Rishikesh in Narendra Nagar. Focuses on yoga and Ayurvedic practices, combined with international spa therapies. It includes the Royal Palace of Narendra Nagar, of the Maharaja of Tehri Garhwal, an Indian princely state, and the restored Viceregal Palace, added to the palace in 1910-11 by the Maharaja for an expected visit of the Viceroy of India. Though the visit never materialized, the edifice remains, and went to accommodate the likes of Lord Mountbatten, a later Viceroy of India. $400 (Rs. 20000) and up.
* Ganges Resort Tourist Complex (0135) 2438651 Rs. 2,500 - 3,500 A Govt of Uttarakhand Undertaking Wind "N" Wave - vegetarian restaurant
A holy city it may be, but Rishikesh draws more than its fair share of criminals and conmen. Don't walk around alone at night and beware of the motives of sadhus offering one-on-one tutoring. There is also a gem stone hoax going on in at least one gem store: They ask you to bring the stones to your own country to a "buyer" who doesn't exist.
Watch where you step:After sundown it is pitch dark, so bring a light. Watch out for the sometimes brash food stealing monkeys too. They mostly "operate" on and around the foot bridges, and if you look them in the eyes they become aggressive, but rarely/never attack unless you carry food. Sadhus and police officers carry sticks to keep monkeys and cows/oxen at a distance. The brown monkeys are aggressive; the grey big languors are nicer. They greys sometimes steal food from tourists (not on the bridges), but mostly because their size scares the tourist, they don't bite you over food matters.
Be alert if an ox is on your path: They are mostly harmless, but after dark they are sometimes nervous. Especially on the narrow foot bridges, you should try to read their body language before a close encounter.
Try not getting involved with any local guide, whose offering you services.They are mostly con men and goons.
- Shivpuri is one of the most visited places around Rishikesh, and only 10 km away. It is the hub for many adventure sports like river rafting, camping and trekking.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!