Rodos (stad)]] |+|
Revision as of 00:55, 15 May 2011
Rhodes  is the largest settlement and capital city of the island of the same name. It is famous as the former site of the Colossus, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world and the oldest inhabited medieval town in Europe.
Ancient windmills in Rhodes
6000 people live and work in the same buildings the Knights of St. John lived in 6 centuries ago.
For the traveller, Rhodes City falls into four more or less distinct areas.
- Rhodes Old Town, still enclosed by its medieval wall.
- Rhodes New Town, north and west of the Old Town, is an extensive and fairly non-descript modern city.
- Commercial Harbor, New Town's eastern waterfront
- Mandhraki Harbor, the yacht and ferry harbour
- Acropolis of Rhodes, the ruins of the ancient city, are about 2 km southwest of the Old Town.
The only airport of the island is the Rhodes International Airport (IATA: RHO) or Diagoras International Airport. "Diagoras" (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Ρόδου, "Διαγόρας"). The airport is situated on the west coast about 14 km from Rhodes Town. From there, you can reach Rhodes city with a bus, car or taxi.
In the Old Town, the primary method of travel are your feet.
Medieval buildings, mosques, traditional fountains, oriental motifs, Byzantine and Gothic churches, shops and cafeterias are scattered throughout the Old Town of Rhodes, There are approximately 200 streets or lanes that have no name so getting lost is a distinct possibility.
The Avenue of the Knights in Rhodes Old Town
- Institute of Marine Biology (Aquarium)
Rhodes Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site , is one of the best preserved and most extensive medieval towns in Europe. It is also the location of many monuments and several museums - make sure to get a good map. If you want to see it all, plan for at least a day, and two will not be amiss if you want to see all the museums.
- Town hall, Theatre and Government House (Italian architecture)
- Rhodes Archaeological Museum, Megalou Alexandrou Square, ☎ +30 2241 075674, +30 2241 034719 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +30 2241 031048), . Open in season till 8PM. It has two floors, and most of the exhibits are on the second, past the big stairs. The museum operates a tour of the city walls Tuesdays and Saturdays at 8AM leaving from the Palace of the Grand Masters. Visitors are simply allowed up on the walls to walk along the top of them at their own pace. This walk offers views of the town not otherwise available and is the best way to get an idea of the size of the town and the variety of its architecture.It is not guided. €3.
- Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes - can be split into outside, courtyard, outside wall, first floor and second floor. Open in season till 8PM, entry is €6, outside wall is an additional €2. First floor (photos prohibited contains some artifacts of Ancient Rhodes - Archaeological Museum offers more selection and allows photos. Second floor has a variety of later artifacts, but it has almost no descriptions (probably to force people to wait for a tour guide). The Palace of the Grand Masters was demolished by a gunpowder explosion in 1856 and reconstructed by the Italians in 1940.
- Walk throughout this medieval city and its many streets and lanes by foot.
- Colorful sea shells offered for sale - mostly in the harbour area - are often actually imported from Asia or the Caribbean. Not only do they provide a non-authentic Rhodes souvenir, many species for sale are also protected. Bringing them back home may get you into considerable difficulty.
- Many brand name products such as t-shirts, towels, hand bags and similar items for sale in the tourist shops may be fakes and/or unlicensed.
- Labyrinthos Arts & Crafts, Theofiliskou 1 (Near Roloi clocktower). Original arts and creations by local artists, also the only place in the Old Town to sell historically accurate coat of arms of the Knights, medieval style heraldry and illuminated manuscripts.
- Mikes (A Greek name prounounced ''MEE-kehs''), Old Town (In a tiny lane near 17 Socratous Street,). A hole-in-the-wall place provided with outdoor seating. Serves fish, salad, and wine, and not much else. A very simple restaurant but pleasant, and the seafood is of impeccable quality and well though simply prepared.
- Hatzikelis, Solomou Alhadef 9, ☎ +30 2241 027215. one of the best tavernas, serving innovations on traditional Greek dishes; the stuffed, roasted eggplant is notable.
- Laganis, Solomou Alhadef 16. A more traditional taverna with good mezedhes
- Om Indian Restaurant, 4-6 Leontos Str, ☎ +30 2241 032320, . AM10-12:30AM. Great place with reasonable prices. Very friendly service and delicious food. €25-€70. (36°27'1.69N,28°13'3.62E)
- The Turkish Cafe, 76 Sokratous. ". "A rare, wonderfully atmospheric survival of old Rhodes in the middle of the tourist hordes. Run by a charming couple, it serves excellent coffee and a small range of other drinks. Not much food except for a few snacks.
- Apollo Guesthouse, omirou 28-C, Rhodes (About a 10 min walk south of the St John's gate in Old Town), ☎ +30 2241 032003. checkin: Afternoon; checkout: 12 noon. US$35-$60 per person.
- Mango Rooms, Sq. Dorieos 3, Rhodes (In Old Town square, behind San Fanourios church). checkin: 1PM; checkout: 12 noon. US$25-$50 per person for a double room, depending on season. Nice man Dimitrius and his family run this hotel in the middle of the walled town..
- Rodos Youth Hostel, Ergiou 12 Rhodes Old Town, ☎ +30 2241 030491, . Backpackers hostel in Rhodes Old Town. Excellent location. Very basic facilities. €10.
- Spot Hotel, Perikleus Street 21, Rhodes Old Town,, ☎ +30 2241 034737 (email@example.com). Simple, well run hotel with good prices and location
- Europa Hotel, 94, 28th October St. (Psaropoula area, 1.5 km from harbor). checkin: noon; checkout: noon. US$50-$100 / person.
- Sun Beach Resort Complex, lalyssos Trianta Area (Approx 10 km from Rhodes Old Town), ☎ +30 2241 093821 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +30 2241 095688), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. Comfortable and elegant rooms, studios and apartments. 4 star hotel ideal for couples and families just a few km away from Rhodes Town. Prices from €57/night. (36.42262921243435,28.152809143066406)
- Camelot Hotel, Rhodes Old Town, ☎ +30 2241 026649 (fax: +30 2241 026549), . checkin: 24 hr. Double €145.
- Elysium Resort & Spa (Luxury Spa Hotel in Rhodes), Kallithea Ave, ☎ +30 2241 045700 (email@example.com, fax: +30 2241 087060), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. Beachfront location. Modern and chic with minimalist design. Public areas and spacious rooms overlook the beach. 5-star high standard luxury hotel. Prices from €115. (36.372541,28.224263)
- Rodos Palladium Leisure & Wellness (The most awarded five star Hotel in Rhodes), Kallithea Avenue, ☎ +30 2241 057300 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +30 2241 086424), . checkin: 2:PM; checkout: noon. 18 awards since its opening, luxurious accommodation with first class services. Right on the beach of Kallithea, just 9 km away from Rhodes Town and 15 km away from the airport. Prices from €142. (36.369224,28.220873)
The local tourist information office for the Dodecanese Islands is located in Rhodes city at Makariou & Papagou Corner. ☎ +30 2241 044335, +30 2241 044336, Fax+30 2241 026955.