Raton  is a town in northeastern New Mexico, United States of America.
Raton is on Interstate 25, a main north-south artery in the Rocky Mountain region, just south of Raton Pass. Access from the south is usually straightforward, but the pass can be rough going during winter storms, with the possibility of closures for short times.
Raton is a stop along Amtrak's daily Southwest Chief   line. The depot is located at 201 South First Street. This stop has no ticket office and no Quik-Trak ticket machine so tickets must be purchased at another station or online.
Raton Municipal Airport
- Raton was a waypoint on the Santa Fe Trail, and there are some historic sites in town. Check out the town museum at 216 S. First St., +1 575 445-8979, not only for exhibits and artifacts at the museum itself, but also for guidance to other historic sites.
Raton Downtown Historic District
Raton is train gate way to the Philmont Scout Ranch  and the city of Cimarron.
- Pappa's Sweet Shop, 1201 S. 2nd St., +1 575 445-9811. M-Sa 11-2, 5-9; closed major holidays. Not just a candy store (although it is that, and a good one), but also quite a good source of standard American fare; the salads are excellent. Pleasant atmosphere in the dining room in back, which you don't see at first glance when you walk in; don't be fooled by your initial reactions.
- Best Western Sands, 300 Clayton Road, +1 575 445-2737. Rooms from $55, higher in summer. Convenient to I-25 (exit 451).
- Comfort Inn, 533 Clayton Road, +1 575 445-4200. Another motorist-oriented franchise close to I-25.
- Trinidad (Colorado) is on the Colorado side of Raton Pass, with more Santa Fe Trail points of interest.
- South of Raton, the Santa Fe Trail follows US 64 for several miles en route to the small town of Cimarron. While the Trail itself isn't much to look at on this segment (few authentic ruts are visible), the drive is scenic, and west of Cimarron the highway enters the beautiful Sangre de Cristo Mountains with many fine views and hiking opportunities on the way to Taos.
- Sugarite State Park
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
Wikipedia:Raton, New Mexico