Revision as of 23:33, 5 August 2010
The new modern town square in Rakvere
Rakvere  is Estonia’s fifth largest city and situated in northern, 20 km south of the Gulf of Finland and approximately 100km east of Tallinn, Estonia. Its earliest signs of human settlement date back to the 3rd-5th century.
Rakvere is an attractive and rapidly developing town with quite an interesting character, for example, Rakvere is the place where the first Estonian Punk Song Festival took place. It’s also the host to the well-known international rock music festival “Green Christmas.” Since 1994, a biannual international theatre festival, called Baltoscandal has taken place in the unique, friendly and slightly crazy atmosphere of Rakvere. So it’s no wonder, that the motto of Rakvere is “full of power”.
The city is also known in Estonia for its youthful hip-hop and electronic music scene .
Rakvere has a regular bus connection to Tallinn, Tartu, Narva and to a number of other cities. Bus schedules can be found at Bussireisid.
Edelaraudtee runs a Tallinn-Narva train which stops in Rakvere.
GoRail also operates the Tallinn-Moscow line with a stop in Rakvere.
- Tourist Information Centre, Laada tn 14, 44310 Rakvere. E-mail: [email protected], tel +372 324 27 34, fax +372 324 27 34. Hours: Sat-Sun 9-15.
The Public transport buses are operated by GoBus Rakvere – there are a total of 4 bus lines.
A view to old castle ruins
- Sculture "Tarvas" is located near the old castle ruins. It’s considered to be the largest animal statue in the Baltics.
- Rakvere's town square is probably the most modern in Estonia.
- Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity is a late medieval church with an unusually high and slender spire that was built in the 17th century. Grave marker of Bishop Arnoldus H. Annabat. Eye-catching Baroque fretwork masterpieces – the pulpit and altar wall.
- Orthodox Church of the Nativiy of Theotokos contains the holy remains of the martyred priest Sergei Florinski, which are the only public holy remains in Estonia.
- Rakvere Citizen`s House Museum
- Rakvere Exhibition House-Museum
- Kohala Manor
- The Cement Museum in Kunda
- Rakvere Order Castle Completed in the first half of the 16th century, this castle is a great place to visit, with concerts, events such as archery, guided tours, the notorious "hell" chamber and you can also eat and drink here, meals are faithful medieval recipes with no potato! (potato was introduced later in the 16th century; see The Worlds of Christopher Columbus at )
Rakvere has got several big shopping centres both for clothes and home electronics.
- KÄRA KANTS Heavy Metal/Rock Bar, in the basement not far of a walk from the castle, popular with bikers and headbangers, has a pool table and a great selection of beer. great atmosphere on weekends but is open all week.
The official Estonian tourism website provides an extensive list of options for accommodation in Rakvere.