Rajahmundry is a city in Andhra Pradesh, Southern India.
Rajahmundry is the cultural capital of Andhra Pradesh. Founded in the 11th century by Raja Raja Narendra, the city is the birthplace of Nannayya, the Adikavi of Telugu literature.
Rajahmundry airport (IATA: RJA) is serviced by flights from Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Chennai and soon from Kolkata. Air Deccan Airlines runs planes daily from Hyderabad and Chennai.
The city is on Howrah-Chennai Main coastal railway track. It is 2.5 hours journey from Vijayawada and 3.5 hrs journey from Visakhapatnam which is well connected by aicraft. It is 150 km from Vijayawada and 220 km from Visakhapatnam.
for Train timings contact +91 88 3242 3535
Located on NH5, the city is on the east portion of the Golden Quadrilateral connecting Kolkata and Chennai.
Rajahmundry has 4 bus stations. The main APSRTC Bus complex is located on the Morampudi High road. The Kotipalli bus stand is in Innispet, Gokavaram bus stand is in Aryapuram, and the Kakinada bus stand is near Kambalcheruvu. The town is well connected to all cities and nearby villages.
Book Bus Tickets Online to reach Rajahmundry from different cities.
There is no way to visit Rajahmundry by boat except from Bhadrachalam through River Godavari.
There are many ritual places of visit including Draksharama, Kotipalli, Samalkot, Pattiseema the famous Siva temples. One temple at Ryali has both a god and a goddess in a single idol called Jaganmohini Avataram.
Other local destinations are; Maredumilli, Dowleswaram, Annavaram,Dvaraka Tirumala, Water Park, Gowthamighat, Iskon Temple, Pushkar Ghat, Everbusy RJY Main Market.
- Papi Hills - The Most Popular location, for every visitor of Rajahmundry. Cruise Boat Service from Rajahmundry to famous papikondalu is a must visit giving you a spell binding view of the nature, and a very exciting experience in Godavari River Cruise. Boat Trips from Rajahmundry / Purushottama Patnam would cost your Rs.500/- onwards, by some professional operators who can be contacted on +91 94 40082627, +91 94 90942788. Services are provided with an A/C cruise with vegetarian and non-vegetarian food available and an overnight stay at the Bamboo Cottages Huts at Kolluru island.
Rajahmundry is the cultural capital of Andhra Pradesh.
The first poet in the Telugu Literature called Nannayya hails from this place.
Sri Kandukuri Veerasalingam Pantulu who is known as the south indian Raja Rammohan Roy belongs to this place.
- Sri Veerabhadra Swamy Temple, Pattiseema, which is picturesquely located on a hill known as Devakuta Parvatha in the middle of the Godavari river. Pattiseema is 120 km from Eluru. The place held a pleasant surprise for city dwellers. The famous temple of Sri Veerabhadra is picturesquely located on a hillock known as Devakuta Parvatha situated in the middle of the river Godavari. As per mythology, Veerabhadra is born out of the lock of Shiva's hair during his tandava performance on sighting his wife getting burnt in the fire of the yagna being conducted by Daksha, his father-in-law. You have to cross the river on board a crude motorboat to reach the temple.
Rajahmundry is also called Southern Bombay. It is the commercial capital of the two Godavari Districts. The city is famous for textile business.
Mahatma Gandhi WholeSale Cloth Complex has around 500 wholesale cloth shops catering to the retailers in Godavari, Khammam and Visakha districts. A wide variety of clothes is available at lower prices.
Rajahmundry is also famous for variety of furniture manufacturers. Top quality furniture is bought by people from nearby districts. One of the most reputed furniture manufacturers is 'Madireddy Bangaram and Sons' who've been in this field since 1909.
- JK Restaurant. Awesome food.
- Akshaya Pure Veg Restaurant.
- Mourya Restaurant. Good food.
- Chillies restaurant, near saikrishna theatre. veg & non-veg delicious food
Rose Milk In Kotagummam a commercial area of Rajahmundry you will find a flavored milk called "Rose Milk". This milk is being served here for more than 50 years.
The Rose Milk is available in three flavors: Plain, with kova or with semiya.
- Laxman Rao Bajjila Bandi (Kanchumarti Vari St), (near main road), ☎ +91 98 66762880. Water luring bajjis of different varieties of vegetables like potato, chilli, brinjal, tomato, capsicum and also famous for varities of mixtures(paper, boondi, and pakodi).
- Satish (Mixer), Venkateswara Mixer Stall (Kanchumarthi Vari Street, beside Pothula Paddayya gari Building), ☎ +91 98 49280601. This is Mixer Stall.
- Anand sweets chat outlet.
- Udipi akshaya (vegetarian hotel), syamala center.
There are so many good hotels including Star hotels in Rajahmundry for better stay.
- Anand Regency is a 3 star hotel with comfortable rooms and nice ambience.
- River bay is the best of the lot, offering a great view of the godavari. the hotels itself comprises of cozy cottages adjoining the godavari. The food is great. The continental part of it good.There is also a water park and a health club.>
- Dindi AP Tourism resort and houseboats
- Maredumilli forest retreat
- Swami bajji (KVR swamy road).
- Ryali is located 40 km from Rajahmundry, 74 km from Kakinada and 34 km from Amalapuram and it is situated between the rivers Vashista and Gautami, Tributaries of river Godavari, this is the site of the renowned Jagan Mohini Kesava Swamy temple. The exquisite idol, made of black stone depicting Maha Vishnu and Mohini on its front and rear sides, is a real marvel of sculptural dexterity.