Quintana Roo, also called The Mexican Caribbean is a state of Mexico that is part of the Yucatan Peninsula, with a shoreline along the Caribbean that has grown in just a few decades into a major tourism destination. It includes large resort cities built specifically for the Yanqui/Euro tropical vacation business, small communities with a more local Maya-Mexicano character, and fascinating ancient Maya archaeological sites.
The Mexican Caribbean is divided in some micro-tourist destinations that are: Cancun, the Riviera Maya, the Maya Zone and the Great Costa Maya.
The Riviera Maya is a tourist corridor that goes from Puerto Morelos until
Tulum. The Riviera Maya´s heart is Playa del Carmen, an eclectic and seductive city that mixes the Mexican flair with a Caribbean ambiance influenced for all possible cultures from all over the world.
The Maya Zone includes some small towns and the Great Costa Maya is formed by Chetumal (capitol of the state), Bacalar and Mahahual.
- Akumal - small town south of the major resorts
- Cancun - luxury tourism central
- Chetumal - capital city of the state
- Bacalar - magic town with the beautiful lagoon of 7 colors
- Mahahual (Majahual) - the next Playa del Carmen, a tourist development
- Playa del Carmen - eclectic and seductive Mexican city
- Puerto Aventuras - a secluded, charming district
- Puerto Morelos - quiet fishing village
- Tulum - small city with an impressive Maya archaeological site built in a cliff that faces the ocean
- Xcalak - Remote village for Great fishing and diving
- Cozumel - the main island and port of call
- Isla Mujeres - small cozy retreat close to Cancun
- Holbox - a tropical paradise out of hustle and bustle
- Contoy - an unhabited small island and bird sanctuary
To get away from the airport, walk to the far end of the main building past domestic arrivals. In the parking lot past there are buses to downtown Cancun bus station and to Playa del Carmen bus station. Buses will also drop people off at the crossroads for Puerto Morelos, where there will be taxis waiting.
Quintana Roo, and Mexico in general has an excellent bus system.
Mayan Village - Quintana Roo
- Xcaret  - Xcaret is an Eco-archaeological Park located about 46 mi south of Cancun and less than 4 mi south of Playa del Carmen, in the Riviera Maya. Here you can admire tropical flora and fauna typical of the region as well as different expressions of the Mayan culture. In its facilities you can find an archaeological site, underground rivers, beach, butterfly pavilion, orchid greenhouse, regional fauna breeding farm, Mayan village, jaguar island, among others; you can also practice water activities as snorkeling and swimming with dolphins; enjoy the Temascal and Spa services; and at night you can admire the unique night show “Xcaret México Espectacular”.
- Garrafon - Garrafon Natural Reef Park is ideally located on charming Isla Mujeres - Women Island and will amaze you with its natural beauties and fascinating adventures in and out of the water. This exotic tropical paradise is only a 25 minutes cruise from Cancun.
- Swim with Dolphins - Swim with dolphins and enjoy this unforgetable and magic experience. Swimming with dolphins is everything you´ve imagined and more - and a chance to encounter these highly intelligent and friendly marine mammals which will fascinate and amaze you.
- Jeep Adventures. Your self-drive Jeep Adventure will take you on an amazing journey around Cancun and the surrounding areas and give you the chance to see parts of Mexico you wouldn't be able to see on your own. During your Jeep Adventure you will get to: Explore Mayan Ruins, visit a private jungle reserve, swim/snorkel in an underground cenote, experience an amazing interactive zoo, visit an authentic Mexican town, enjoy a buffet lunch on the beach, and many other activities all while under the guidance of a friendly, knowledgeable and humorous guide.
- Aqua Tours. Exciting water tour! Choose either a Jetski or two person Jetboat for a trip through the lagoon out to snorkel on the reef, their top tours are Jungle Tour and the Sailing Quest (Catamarans).
- The scuba diving and snorkeling around Isla Mujeres is unforgettable. The Manchones Reef begins just off of Isla's shore and the Cuevones and Banderas Reefs are close by. The waters are calm and clear - perfect for the beginner as well as the advanced diver.
- Lobster Dinner Cruise. Romantic night out. Both the guys and gals will enjoy this trip. Take a trip out on the calm lagoon on a beautiful boat with friends you have not met yet. The staff allow you to take part in the fun or settle back and watch the sunset. Steak and lobster is cooked on the boat and tastes so much better away from the city sounds
Beachfront Restaurant - Quintana Roo
Classy Mayan Home near Tulum
Dmoz:North America/Mexico/States/Quintana Roo/