Long Island City is a district in Queens, a borough of New York City.
Traditionally industrial, LIC is now home to a rising arts community. Astoria is known for its large Greek population. This population is accompanied by Asians, Latin Americans, and Europeans. Many trendy restaurants and shops are located in Astoria, with Steinway Street being a primary shopping district.
Get here by taking the E, M, or R to Queens Plaza, the N, Q, or 7 to Queensboro Plaza, the G to Court Square, the E or M to 23rd Street-Ely Avenue, or the 7 to 45th Road or Hunterspoint Avenue, or the Long Island Railroad to Hunterspoint Avenue or Long Island City.
Get to Astoria by using the N and Q trains.
- 5 Pointz, Jackson Ave across from P.S.1, .
- The Noguchi Museum, 9-01 33rd Rd (at Vernon Blvd), ☎ +1 718 204-7088, . W-F 10AM-5PM, Sa-Su 11AM-6PM (). $10 adults, $5 seniors/students, free for children under 12. Pay what you wish on the first Friday of the month.
- P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center, 22-25 Jackson Ave, ☎ +1 718 784-2084, . Th-M noon-6PM. Supported by the Museum of Modern Art, this innovative (and cheap) contemporary art museum is in a former public school building. The conversion left most of the original features of the school - the large ex-classrooms are perfect for installations - and the bathrooms are a blast from the past. P.S.1 is a few blocks south on Jackson Avenue from the Citibank tower; the entrance is a concrete slab (how fitting) which occludes view of the school itself. P.S.1 also has a nice cafe and outdoor seats where every able-bodied New Yorker can enjoy a smoke. Suggested admission $10 adults, $5 students and seniors.
- SculptureCenter, 44-19 Purves St (at Jackson Ave), ☎ +1 718 361-1750, . Th-M 11AM-6PM. Suggested donation $5 adults, $3 students.
- Steinway & Sons Pianos, 1 Steinway Pl, ☎ +1 718 721-2600, . They offer free guided tours during fall and spring to see the skilled craftsmen at work. Phone ahead, a month in advance is recommended, to reserve a place on these popular tours, and to check the days and times. Otherwise take the online factory tour on their website.
- Queens Library (Astoria branch), 14-01 Astoria Blvd (at 14th St; Subway: N/Q trains to Astoria Blvd), ☎ +1 718 278-2220, . M 1PM-8PM, Tu 1PM-6PM, W-Th 10AM-6PM, F 1PM-6PM.
- Queens Library (Long Island City branch), 37-44 21st St (at 37th Ave; Subway: F train to 21st St-Queensbridge or N/Q trains to 36th Ave), ☎ +1 718 752-3700, . M 1PM-8PM, Tu 1PM-6PM, W 10AM-6PM, Th 1PM-8PM, F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-5:30PM.
- Queens Library (Maspeth branch), 69-70 Grand Ave (at 69th Ln), ☎ +1 718 639-5228. M 1PM-8PM, Tu 1PM-6PM, W 10AM-6PM, Th 1PM-8PM, F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-5:30PM.
- Queens Library (Steinway branch), 21-45 31st St (between 21st Ave and Ditmars; Subway: N/Q trains to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd), ☎ +1 718 728-1965, . M 10AM-8PM, Tu 1PM-6PM, W 10AM-6PM, Th 1PM-8PM, F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-5:30PM.
- Queens Library (Sunnyside branch), 43-06 Greenpoint Ave (at 43rd St; Subway: 7 train to 46th St-Bliss St), ☎ +1 718 784-3033, . M 1PM-8PM, Tu 1PM-6PM, W 10AM-6PM, Th 1PM-8PM, F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-5:30PM.