Long Island City is a district in Queens, a borough of New York City.
Traditionally industrial, LIC is now home to a rising arts community. Astoria is known for its large Greek population. This population is accompanied by Asians, Latin Americans, and Europeans. Many trendy restaurants and shops are located in Astoria, with Steinway Street being a primary shopping district.
Get here by taking the E, M, or R to Queens Plaza, the N, Q, or 7 to Queensboro Plaza, the G to Court Square, the E or M to 23rd Street-Ely Avenue, or the 7 to 45th Road or Hunterspoint Avenue, or the Long Island Railroad to Hunterspoint Avenue or Long Island City.
Get to Astoria by using the N and Q trains.
- P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center, 22-25 Jackson Ave, ☎ +1 718 784-2084, . Th-M noon-6PM. Supported by the Museum of Modern Art, this innovative (and cheap) contemporary art museum is in a former public school building. The conversion left most of the original features of the school - the large ex-classrooms are perfect for installations - and the bathrooms are a blast from the past. P.S.1 is a few blocks south on Jackson Avenue from the Citibank tower; the entrance is a concrete slab (how fitting) which occludes view of the school itself. P.S.1 also has a nice cafe and outdoor seats where every able-bodied New Yorker can enjoy a smoke. Suggested admission $10 adults, $5 studens and seniors.
- Steinway & Sons Pianos, 1 Steinway Pl, ☎ +1 718 721-2600, . They offer free guided tours during fall and spring to see the skilled craftsmen at work. Phone ahead, a month in advance is recommended, to reserve a place on these popular tours, and to check the days and times. Otherwise take the online factory tour on their website.
- Queens Library (Astoria branch), 1401 Astoria Boulevard (at 14th Street; Subway: N/Q trains to Astoria Boulevard), ☎ +1 718 278-2220, . M 1PM-8PM, Tu 1PM-6PM, W-Th 10AM-6PM, F 1PM-6PM.
- Queens Library (Long Island City branch), 3744 21st Street (at 37th Avenue; Subway: F train to 21st Street-Queensbridge or N/Q trains to 36th Avenue), ☎ +1 718 752-3700, . M 1PM-8PM, Tu 1PM-6PM, W 10AM-6PM, Th 1PM-8PM, F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-5:30PM.
- Queens Library (Maspeth branch), 6970 Grand Avenue (at 69th Lane), ☎ +1 718 639-5228. M 1PM-8PM, Tu 1PM-6PM, W 10AM-6PM, Th 1PM-8PM, F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-5:30PM.
- Queens Library (Steinway branch), 2145 31st Street (between 21st Avenue and Ditmars; Subway: N/Q trains to Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard), ☎ +1 718 728-1965, . M 10AM-8PM, Tu 1PM-6PM, W 10AM-6PM, Th 1PM-8PM, F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-5:30PM.
- Queens Library (Sunnyside branch), 4306 Greenpoint Avenue (at 43rd Street; Subway: 7 train to 46th Street-Bliss Street), ☎ +1 718 784-3033, . M 1PM-8PM, Tu 1PM-6PM, W 10AM-6PM, Th 1PM-8PM, F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-5:30PM.