- See Khumbu for the Nepalese side of the mountain.
Qomolangma National Nature Reserve (Jomolangma) is in Tibet, China covers the Chinese side of Mount Everest.
Mt Qomolangma is the world's highest peak at 8,850m.
Flora and fauna
The best season to visit is May to October, but the peak is often covered in clouds from July to August. Snow can be found on the Tingri Route areound October.
There are two treking routes as well as an access road for Land Cruisers (which can be arranged in Lhasa or Shigatse).
- Peruche Route - Shelkar - Checkpoint on Friendship Hwy - 200m after 5145m Marker on Friendship Hwy - Chay Village - Pang La Pass - Peruche Village - Paksum village - Choesang Village - Rongbuk Monastery - Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp (this route mainly follows the roadway to Base Camp from the Friendship Hwy)
- Tingri Route - Tingri - Lungjang Village - Lamma La Pass - Zommug Village - Rongbuk Monastery - Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp (recommend a guide for this trek)
Permits cost ¥65 per person and ¥405 per vehicle and can be purchased at Shelkar, Tingri or Chay Village.
- Rongbuk Monastery (Dzarongpu Gompa) - located at the foot of the glaciers on north face of Mt Jomolangma, highest monastery in the world.
- Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp - start location for climbers up the north side of Mt. Jomolangma.
Staying at private houses is the most common practice. At Rongbuk Monastery, lodging is available but bring your own food.
Lodging in tents is available at Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp.