Qinhuangdao (秦皇岛; Qínhuángdǎo) is a city in Hebei province.
Qinhuangdao has three main zones:
- Beidaihe: A summer seaside resort for senior government officials. Many political decisions affecting the whole of China are made here, making it the equivalent to resorts in Maine or Camp David in Maryland in the United States.
- Haigang District: Qinhunagdao proper, or the harbor city is the primary development zone. This area is home to much of the retail offerings as well as the majority of academic institutions, including Yanshan University which is a leading university in NE Hebei Province.
- Shanhaiguan: a popular tourist destination that caters to travelers who are interested in seeing the Great Wall. Shanhaiguan is the home of the Dragon's Head, which is the eastern most end of the Great Wall.
Qinhuangdao has two train stations. The main station is located in the Haigang District and the second is located in Beidaihe. A multitude of daily trains connect both stations to the various train stations in Beijing. Depending on which train you choose, the journey can range anywhere from 2-5 hours from Beijing. The express trains, or 'D' trains can make the trip in exactly 2 hours and are a very comfortable ride, whereas the 'K' and 'T' trains can take between 3-5 hours depending on the specific train. 'D' trains are ¥93 for a ticket in a soft seat, whereas the 'K' and 'T' trains are much less (often half) for a ticket in a hard seat.
Qinhuangdao has a main bus station that is located directly in front of the main railway station in the Haigang district of the city. Long haul buses from Beijing and the surrounding county level cities in China arrive/depart here. Buses from Beijing take roughly 4 hours to make the journey from the center of Beijing to Qinhuangdao. Ticket prices are comparable to the prices for non 'D' train tickets. However, with the ongoing construction and over congestion on the highway linking Beijing to Qinhuangdao, it is advised that you discuss current road conditions and expected travel time with someone at the station BEFORE settling on taking the bus to/from Qinhuangdao.
- Pu Shi (樸石西餐厅), Taiyangcheng Zhengyang Street No. 39, ☎ 3252286, . 10:00 - 24:00. This is a favorite for pizza in the city. You can dine in, take out, or have it delivered straight to your door. The handmade crusts and ample toppings make this the best Chicago style pie in the city. The private rooms are classy and elegant. You will not be disappointed with the service and comfort. Watch a movie or a sports match on your own personal flat screen. If you do want some company, the piano bar is wonderful. You can curl up in the oversized, overstuffed furniture and take in the scene. This is the place to see and be seen in QHD. $$.
- Vietnam Youyou Cafe (越南悠悠咖啡), baojie) Sidaoqiao Nanxing 100m, ☎ 3034585 / 15133557977. 9:30 - 24:00. The Vietnamese owner makes this the only place to go in Qinhuangdao for Vietnamese fare. The décor is refined, the owner speaks English, the food tastes just like what you’ll find in Hanoi, and the live music is a hit. The menu is pleasantly inexpensive considering the posh surroundings and classy atmosphere. It’s a great choice for a night away from the masses. Private parties large and small are always welcomed. $$.
- Butterfly (蝴蝶时尚餐厅), Qinhuangdao Haigang District Kanglejie No. 1 (Renmin guangchang yingu xice), ☎ 3289777. 9:30 - 24:00. Located right next to People's Square, it sits in the heart of the entertainment district of the city. This is the place to go for quality cuts of meat and plump steaks. The prices are reasonable, and are on par with other western style steakhouses in China. The bar serves a full line of spirits and wines,and has a nice list of imported beers to choose from. A must visit for anyone who needs a "meat" fix. $$$.
- Haitianyise Hotel (海天一色度假村), Qinhuangdao Haigang District Dongshanjie No. 51, ☎ 3417799, . 9:00 - 21:00. Nestled among the rocks overlooking the ocean, this is the place to go for weekend brunch. The restaurant is connected to the Haitianyise Hotel and Seaside Resort. It’s a top pick among travelers and locals alike. The seafood buffet is always fresh and includes all the sides and drinks (including alcohol) that you care to consume. Enjoy your meal while watching the waves roll in. $$$.
- 2046 — disco
- N-Bar (嗯吧), Qinhuangdao Xinbaojie No.78. 13:00 - 4:00. N-Bar is a good place to go for an all nighter. Most nights the party starts late and goes until whenever the last of the last feel like heading home. Three spacious floors allow patrons to choose the atmosphere they like. The first floor is a traditional beer hall; the second floor has comfy lounge chairs and a massive projection screen showing films and games; the third floor has a free billiards table and private suites that you can curl up in to enjoy some alone time. $$.
|Routes through Qinhuangdao